2003 Dodge Stratus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Stratus model:
Low cost to own and fun to drive as 4 cyl. eco cars go
By billman2 on 02/13/14 14:34 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought new in 03 4 cyl auto good value and to our surprize it's cost to operate has been lower than our japanese car our mother drives, not as well refined but still fun to drive and quieter ride. No issues yet with 140,000 miles except rear struts were replaced. 4 cyl engine not real fast but simple to service and reliable.

this car is garbage worst investment ever
By whitesoxman61 on 06/08/13 14:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

this car has been nothing but a nightmare to own i am a person that likes to do maintenance on my own but that's pretty much impossible. the water pump is on the inside of the engine and costed me $800 to get replaced, the thermostat is on the bottom of the engine and requires you to remove the alternator, battery is located inside the wheel well and you have to remove the tire and splash guard to get to it, just about anything you work on with this car will take 2 times longer than a normal car it was built A$$ backwards i would not tell anyone to buy this car unless they have a LOT of time and money on their hands to fix it.

206,000 miles a good solid car
By mopar350 on 10/25/12 20:22 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 50,000 miles on it six years ago. so far I have only done some normal maintance. changed timing belt twice and front brake pads once. now at 206,000 mile mark i have had to change one front wheel bearing. and the transmission is slipping. would have lasted longer if i had changed the fluid and filter like i should have. i have beat this car into the ground and it is still going. i put 36,000 to 40,000 miles a year on this car for the last three years. so i will be putting a transmission in it and keep on driveing it. and i plan on driveing it till the body rusts away. i live in south carolina and there is no rust on it yet so i will be driveing this car for a long time

1st new car, worst car I ever owned
By sharky65 on 06/16/11 11:39 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car was built cheaply. Here is all the things that have gone wrong with it in the 8 years and 89,000 miles. year 2 new brakes and rotors year 3 drivers side window came off the track $300 year 4 new brakes and rotors, gas gauge stopped working causing $300 bill to replace gas pump, heater fan will only work on high year 5 engine blew up, I had oil change every 3 months, it was under warranty year 6 new brakes and rotors, all windows rattle inside doors year 7 transmission had to be rebuilt year 8 rear strut mounts totally disintergrated because they were made out of cheap aluminum, new brakes and rotors I can finally get rid of it this year. My wife and I alternate buying cars.

I miss my Stratus
By abby258 on 02/01/11 16:51 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2003 stratus brand new.. I loved it, the only reason I no longer own it is because I traded it for an SUV, becuse 3rd baby was not going to fit in the stratus.. I NEVER had any problems with the vehicle, beside normal wear and tear, and regular maintenance. I HATE the BUICK RENDEZVOUS I ended upo trading in for... My review for that is up too! I am thinking about purchasing another stratus, 2006 model. I loved the stratus!!!

Kira the Killer
By Cody on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used because it was such a great deal compared to other cars. It has been very dependable, and is overall a wonderful car to own. This is the 2.4 liter SXT model. I would really recommend this car to anyone on a budget. Just remember to buy from a private party.

Car shuts down on freeway
By sarahleigh on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my stratus for four years. I have had to replace the cold air intake, transmission parts, fuses, water pump, timing belt, and starter. Every few months something else is wrong with this car. The latest episode was the car engine shut off in the middle of th freeway going 70 leaving me without power steering or braking. My car did not give any warning signs before this. no smells, sounds or rough handling. Not only did this car almost kill me but has often left me stranded.

Stratus still going strong
By SE 4 dr sedan on 06/08/09 22:56 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Stratus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought 2003 SE 4 Dr in July 2005 for $9,000. It had 54,000 miles on it. It now has 118,000 miles and I had to replace a tie rod and a blower motor in the 4 years that I owned it. Other than routine maintenance, oil changes, brakes.timing belt, I have had no major problems. This car is fun to drive and I usually get from 25-28 miles per gallon. I have the 2.4 engine. I am looking now to buy a 2006 and keep this one as a second car. This car is light brown and I will try to find a low mileage red one next.

Frustrations
By dodgeboy11 on 06/08/09 14:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Stratus Sedan R/T 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the car in October of 2002. Picked it up w/ the shrink wrap still on the car and 0 miles on the odometer. I like the car and the styling, but it has become a maintenance headache. 77k miles, and I've had to replace: rear struts, rear brakes, rear strut mounts, transmission solinoid, coolant overflow, front bearings, rust repair on door and on body, and trip computer on top of normal maintenance. The car from day one has also had a fantom ground issue in which on occasions it will: not lock the doors, sunroof stays open, dash lights go bright, cylinder 5 won't fire, speedometer acts up, etc. And most resently the torque converter has started acting up. I'd be cautious w/ the RT.

its a c+ rating at best
By essexville on 07/17/08 17:25 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Stratus Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Fun to put it in corners w/ 16" wheels the road ride is stiff like sporty vehicle, nice. Glass all around few blind spots. I have problems with it that Dodge can't find to fix.