Many Miles and Many Repairs
By clintonanthony on
1998 Dodge Stratus ES 4dr Sedan
I bought my car in 2006 with 80k on it. Needed to immediately replace water pump and deal with leaking oil pan. It is now 2013, so it's been a fairly okay car for me to get it over 150,000 miles. I need to 'junk' the car now, because it's no good. I live in PA and the bottom of the car is completely rusted out, rocker panels are covered up with rivits and tin. I've tried to frequently wash the car to avoid this, but it was inevitable. My frame is 'soft' and won't pass another inspection. I would have liked to of got more than 150k out of the car, but it's not going to happen.
Favorite Features
The interior was easy to keep clean. Nice big trunk and fold down seat. Took the car on long trips and it always seemed to be comfortable. Easy to see out the back. It seems like a 'solid' car, because I've hit 2 deer and a pole (all on separate occasions) and have dents all over the car from this, but it's nothing major.
Suggested Improvements
However, I've needed to replace all the brakes every year. I completely lost my back brakes twice, putting me in dangerous situations. The brakes are awful to work on, especially the back ones. I do a lot of city driving, but the problems I've had with my brakes is ridiculous. The battery is under the bumper and need to take tire off to get to it. After getting the car, immediately needed to replace water pump. Needed to replace fuel pump last year. Needed to replace timing belt, and it's squealed ever since then. My mechanic told me flat out that he hates working on my car, everything is hard to get to. The lighting and the cup holders in the car are terrible.