2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:
Intrepid---241,000 miles--
By joyce27 on 08/08/11 04:21 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Well, I have decided after driving my 2001 Intrepid for 241,00 miles, it warranted a review for consumers. I did not have any mechanical issues with the car until it reached the 170,000 mark. I have always maintained the normal with the required oil changes, etc. At the 100,000 mark...one of the cooling fans quit working..timing built, alternater replaced,...I loved my Intrepid;s solid performance and was not ready to purchase a different automobile, decided to make the necessary mechanical repairs. To my pleasant surprise my Intrepid is reached 241,000 miles!!!

A ONE TON PAPERWEIGHT!
By laura on 03/02/10 06:49 AM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

loved my car until I reached the 79000 mile mark. My water pump failed allowing antifreeze to mix with oil which fried out all the bearings. Had to pay $600 just to cover the labor for the mechanic to get to the part. It will cost more to replace motor than the car is worth. I never imagined a car could fail so completely at this low of miles. Now that it's fixed my mechanic says I should dump the car because their transmissions have a 50% failure rate. Nice work Dodge! You can be sure I won't be purchasing your product again.

All good but the engine.
By vince on 08/03/09 14:14 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new with 18 miles on it. Everything was great up until around 75000 miles and the water pump goes out and the water and antifreeze get mixed into the oil. Had it fixed for $1300. Then a few thousand miles later the oil light would come on at idle. Had to have the oil light indicator sensor replaced. And a bad rattle also developed and had to have the timing chain and guides replaced for $1500. Had them check the oil pump while they were at it, said it was okay. Oil coming on at idle again. Maybe I'll run it till she dies. Sure do love to drive it!!

Wouldn't buy it again
By jackrelax on 07/13/09 19:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Car was bought new and had no significant motoric or electrical problems for several years. The first non-driver related issue (that I can recall) was a cooling fan stopped working. This came about in 2006/07. The alternator seems to be going out now, 2009. The oil has been changed on a regular basis. A new battery was required, for the first time, a few months ago.

Best Car I have Ever Had
By blndbrm727 on 10/22/08 13:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Intrepid ES new in January of 2001. It now has 143,000 miles on it and have had to put only $1,000 into it -about a month ago. I love my Intrepid and wish they still made them! Would buy another one in 1/2 a heartbeat! Mine still has a good 30K- 40K miles left in it. My original goal was to get 150K miles. My secret has been this: Firestone! I purchased the lifetime tire rotation and lifetime alignment along with their tire protection plan. About $500. Each time oil is changed - tires rotated and aligned. Firestone is great about letting you know what maintenance is due when!

And It Keeps Going...
By G V on 05/17/08 20:49 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I have had our Intrepid for 7 years now and we have enjoyed it thoroughly. It is a 3.2 L and we have not (thank the Lord) had an expensive maintenance record. It is the only car on the road that we have seen still on the road, besides the VW bug. The paint job isn't my favorite, but I love, love, love the trunk size and the room it provides me with four of us.

Dodge intepid es (3.2 Liter engine)
By LOVDODGE on 05/17/08 12:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I love this car it is a great car although I have spend a lot lot of money to maintain the car like tires, battery, starter, timing belt, oil pump etc. But I hope my car last me a long time I just love this car and also it seems that its different from other es Intrepids most say 2.7 liter mine is 3.2. Does any one else have one that is the same please let me no. If you can do that on this site.

50/50 Chance
By NYYFan on 06/21/07 05:14 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

The Dodge Intrepid with the 2.7L engine seems to be a coin toss. If you get the good engine, the size and style of the car make up for its other shortcomings which include a higher level of maintenance issues. If you do get the lemon engine, the car is worthless past the magic 60K mark. I had been crossing my fingers, but sure enough, at 65K, my engine died. My mechanic said even if I wanted to fix they wouldn't do the job because the engine is so unreliable and hard to find because of the demand for replacements. Avoid this car at all cost. Buying an auto shouldn't come with such a high level of risk.

Dodge Intrepid
By Ron808 on 04/02/07 15:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I used to own an '01 SE intrepid with the 2.7L and I didn't have any issues with the engine at all. I did have to replace the tranny at 95,000 miles but other than that it was the perfect car. It got totaled by a drunk driver at 125,000 miles and I decided to replace it with another Intrepid. which I have now and it is even better. It is an '01 ES with the 3.2L fully loaded which i would recommend to anyone, the ride is so smooth and the size is great. The only advice I have if you are thinking about getting an 1998-2004 Intrepid is even though had no issues at with with my 2.7L engine, you should look for an Intrepid with 3.2L,3.5,or 3.5HO engine.

Excellent car!
By Marybeth on 02/20/07 13:10 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I like this car so much that the couple of times I've gone to a dealership to trade it in, I ended up deciding to keep it. I test drove numerous brand new cars, but couldn't find any I liked as much as this one.