Used 2001 Dodge Intrepid ES Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Dodge Intrepid - Consumer Reviews

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan

View reviews for a specific Intrepid model:

Intrepid---241,000 miles--
By joyce27

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Well, I have decided after driving my 2001 Intrepid for 241,00 miles, it warranted a review for consumers. I did not have any mechanical issues with the car until it reached the 170,000 mark. I have always maintained the normal with the required oil changes, etc. At the 100,000 mark...one of the cooling fans quit working..timing built, alternater replaced,...I loved my Intrepid;s solid performance and was not ready to purchase a different automobile, decided to make the necessary mechanical repairs. To my pleasant surprise my Intrepid is reached 241,000 miles!!!

Favorite Features

This car is fun to drive! I drove this car during a blizzard--and heavy snow..was amazed of its performance! The car is quite roomy with a large trunk and comfort for back seat passengers. I drove this car with 170,000 miles on it feeling totally confident, my car would get me where I was going.

Suggested Improvements

I am sure any mechanic could tell you that it is difficult working on the Dodge Intrepid, replacing a timing belt, alternator...very tight space. If you have an Intrepid with more than 200,000 miles..congrats!!( just when you thought toyota and honda were the only car) at 220,000 miles...My Dodge repairs became to frequent..so time for a new purchase..I Still plan on keeping it as a back up car!!! Anyone else have a 2001 Dodge Intrepid with 241,000 miles on it?

A ONE TON PAPERWEIGHT!
By laura

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

loved my car until I reached the 79000 mile mark. My water pump failed allowing antifreeze to mix with oil which fried out all the bearings. Had to pay $600 just to cover the labor for the mechanic to get to the part. It will cost more to replace motor than the car is worth. I never imagined a car could fail so completely at this low of miles. Now that it's fixed my mechanic says I should dump the car because their transmissions have a 50% failure rate. Nice work Dodge! You can be sure I won't be purchasing your product again.

Favorite Features

trunk space & moon window.

Suggested Improvements

don't use inferior parts in manufacturing.

All good but the engine.
By vince

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car new with 18 miles on it. Everything was great up until around 75000 miles and the water pump goes out and the water and antifreeze get mixed into the oil. Had it fixed for $1300. Then a few thousand miles later the oil light would come on at idle. Had to have the oil light indicator sensor replaced. And a bad rattle also developed and had to have the timing chain and guides replaced for $1500. Had them check the oil pump while they were at it, said it was okay. Oil coming on at idle again. Maybe I'll run it till she dies. Sure do love to drive it!!

Favorite Features

The cornering is great!

Suggested Improvements

Do something about the head light. Plastic going bad in the sun light.

Wouldn't buy it again
By jackrelax

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Car was bought new and had no significant motoric or electrical problems for several years. The first non-driver related issue (that I can recall) was a cooling fan stopped working. This came about in 2006/07. The alternator seems to be going out now, 2009. The oil has been changed on a regular basis. A new battery was required, for the first time, a few months ago.

Favorite Features

The exterior has an attractive design.

Suggested Improvements

Since Intrepids are no longer produced it doesn't really matter, but here goes. First, engine needs to be completely resituated. Everything is jam-packed in there. 2, the car is too long. 3, the rear doors are too long and can hit the person opening the door. 4, windshield/ roof are not ergonomic at

Best Car I have Ever Had
By blndbrm727

2001 Dodge Intrepid Sedan ES 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Intrepid ES new in January of 2001. It now has 143,000 miles on it and have had to put only $1,000 into it -about a month ago. I love my Intrepid and wish they still made them! Would buy another one in 1/2 a heartbeat! Mine still has a good 30K- 40K miles left in it. My original goal was to get 150K miles. My secret has been this: Firestone! I purchased the lifetime tire rotation and lifetime alignment along with their tire protection plan. About $500. Each time oil is changed - tires rotated and aligned. Firestone is great about letting you know what maintenance is due when!

Favorite Features

roominess, trunk storage, overall design

Suggested Improvements

nose is sloped down so sometimes difficult to know exactly where front bumper is..