Used 2005 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:

My 2005 Dodge Durango
By GP

2005 Dodge Durango SXT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I got a great deal on this vehicle from the dealership. Within the first few months, I had to have the gas tank replaced. However, this was a recall item and the dealership was very helpful and courteous in getting it replaced. Other than that, it's been a joy to own. It rides just as good, if not better, than a Honda or Toyota. Fuel efficiency is decent in the city for a vehicle this size - about 17mpg city. On the highway, I know I'm getting at least 22 mpg which is very decent for a vehicle of this size. This is definitely the best vehicle I've ever owned!

Favorite Features

Seat comfort, bold and very good looking vehicle. The utility and practicality of an SUV with the freight-liner good looks of a Dodge Truck!

Suggested Improvements

Maybe have the third seat standard on all models? Other than that, nothing else I can think of. I love the vehicle!

Tons of Vehicle for the $$
By Doug

2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the Durango used nearly 3 yrs ago and initially had several minor issues with some trim pieces. However, mechanically it's been nearly perfect and very reliable. Great tow vehicle and good for family of 6. Not quite as large as Expedition or Tahoe but much less expensive, tows as much or more (I've got the HEMI) and drives much better - especially in the city. Mileage also hasn't been bad as expected. I consistently average 15.5 to 16.0 combined and easily achieve 20- 22 on the highway cruising 80. Not the prettiest vehicle out there but one to seriously consider if buying used. NEVER buy one of these big SUV's new - you'd be throwing $1000's out the window for no reason!

Favorite Features

Hemi, towing ability, front seats, storage, highway mileage

Suggested Improvements

Exterior styling, 2nd row leg room

Please don't buy a durango.
By bkredr@comcast.net

2005 Dodge Durango ST Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Its a 2005 with 55k miles on it and its going back to the dealership or the 11th time! Now I have collant in the oil so I'm sure its going to be a major deal. Its already had cooling problems, stearing problems, stalling issues, and on and on. There is a reason the trade in value is 8500 for a 4 year old car with 55K. Please go to the link below before you buy a dodge or jeep. I realy hate that this is what dodge and jeep have become, I was a die hard jeep guy for the last 20 years but not any more.

Favorite Features

When it runs.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe now that its a Fiat maybe we will get better cars and trucks. After all aren't fiats just like a Toyota?

Lemon
By Jamie

2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Like I have read in other reviews, the issues with this vehicle are tremendous. The 5.7 litter Hemi has great acceleration and I have been very please with the gas mileage. Other than that, it has been nothing but a nightmare. It stalls when stopping all the time,the dealership has no idea what is wrong since their computer tells them nothing. The interior continues to fall apart daily. Not to mention the extreme loss in value in 1.5 years is huge! I look forward to trading it in as soon as I can afford to bail out!

Godzilla
By Gary

2005 Dodge Durango Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have toed the line on fuel economy, the ecology, and so forth. After a bout with cancer and three minor strokes I decided to once in my automotive life to live; so I bought Godzilla. I went from a 1995 Subaru Outback with a 2.2L H4 engine that got 30 miles to the gallon to Godzilla which averages half that in town and I have gotten 24.5 mpg on the highway; with the A/C on. Yes, it is a brute, it is not lady friendly, but it rides smooth, has pick up, a tight turning radius and goodies galore. I love this truck and...yes it has a HEMI!!!!

Favorite Features

AM/FM/CD/DVD/NAV system, auto climate control, lots of space, CUP HOLDERS (something the subaru lacked), leather seats, nice view of unhappy people in econo boxes.

Suggested Improvements

Replace the plastic on the seats and send updated Nav DVD's free of charge.