2005 Dodge Durango - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
Good for 50k miles
By Bob on 05/08/09 20:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This vehicle is a maintenance nightmare. Go ahead and pull out the maintenance schedule and you will see what I mean. For example, plugs every 30k miles, axle flush ever 15k miles, transmission fluid every 30k miles, etc, etc, etc. This was a nice SUV for about 50k miles, but it has had problems with the steering and irritating clunking noise coming from the front suspension. The fuel tank has problems so it like to shoot fuel all over the place if you fill it up and allow the pump to automatically shut off. The transmission has started to slip and there is an idle problem that causes it to die. Has had this problem since about 30k miles. Just poor quality overall. We have the 4.7L Magnum.

We love ours!
By TJ on 03/28/09 10:25 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this Durango used with 65000 miles last January. It worked great in Kansas averaging roughly 20mpg while using AC. We now live in Colorado and this vehicle has been a dream. In snow and ice the AWD works great. We average 18 mpg up and down the mountains and around town. When we makes trips to Denver from BV we get 22mpg and got 24 on one trip. We did replace the plugs at 80,000 miles and they were fried. We used Bosch this time and have never had any other problems even with Colorado's 85 octane fuel. The rear seat is a little tight for adults, but great for kids and the third seat is great for extra passengers. Sound system is great too. Ride is good for SUV and extremely quiet.

Fun to drive! I love it.
By dee dee on 12/27/08 13:53 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Durango ST Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

When I first test drove my car it was a match made in heaven. I loved it. It was smooth to drive. The steering is easy on my wrist. The whole big body was a plus. Also the DVD player

OK if you like basic truck ride
By Golfnkappa on 11/27/08 01:03 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This vehicle is excellent towing large items. When all seats are down there is enough room to carry large items The engine is excellant. My navigation system has been replaced once and now it's not reading the disc again. Also the seats feel cheap along with everything else in the cabin. The only other problem is that both the driver and passenger side square piece breaks easily.

Good Suv
By Thomas on 09/21/08 16:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought the Durango with Hemi for towing a 26' trailer. Generally does well except through the high desert states where it constantly shifts up and down even with the tow feature engaged. I can usually find a happy medium towing but not so here. Would probably do better with the 3:73 ratio differentials instead of the 3:92. Also maintenance is expensive requiring synthetic oil in rear differential. An exhaust manifold stud broke in the head @ 43,000 miles. Shop had replaced same one on another Hemi a month earlier. I don't mean to talk the rig down because I really do like the rig and enjoy driving with all the bells and whistles and great stability.

Three Years of Good Performance
By AspenRobert on 07/31/08 17:19 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I leased my Durango and turn it in next week and I know I'll miss it. The few minor mechanical problems were handled under warranty and the total driving experience was excellent. Of course, it's a full-sized SUV so you don't get Prius mileage. I averaged 16 mpg in town and 19.5 on the highway. What I'll probably miss most (other than the hauling capacity) will occur this winter in Colorado snows. This is a very stable, very "under control" vehicle in bad weather.

Satisfied
By Dodger on 05/20/08 10:35 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned my Durango for 18 months with no problems. I also own a grand Cherokee Laredo 4.7 2006. Both are excellent vehicles but if you are going on a long trip the Durango is the way to travel. People always comment on the mileage but I have yet to see a vehicle with the toughness and comfort and good looks these have that get good mileage. If you want safety and Peace of mind in a vehicle I suggest an SUV. Try putting 5 people and their luggage in a econobox, and see how you feel after a day of driving.

Not for a family with small children!
By Triplet Mama Plus 2 on 05/08/08 14:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango SXT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Well first off the gas mileage is a joke, do not buy if you have any sort of commute to work or you'll be averaging $70 every 4 days on gas, crazy! Second, I have 5 kids (6, 2, and 18 month old triplets) and getting them in and out of this vehicle is awful, such a pain. I can't even go anywhere because no stroller but an umbrella stroller would fit. The interior is falling apart without even harsh use. All in all if we didn't have but a couple kids and worked 5 minutes away then it would be manageable but we are getting rid of this Durango ASAP!

Nice Family car.
By Mike on 03/26/08 13:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Engine and power train are excellent. 4.7 liter delivers good power. Average 16.5 MPG in mixed driving. Not great but delivers what is advertised. Overall ride is very good. Nice sturdy feel. Very smooth on flat roads very truck like on bumpy roads. Very nice family vehicle. Seats 7. Plenty of room for storage with 3rd row seats folded down. Overall this has been a great purchase.

Cracking
By Sameia on 03/16/08 05:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This SUV is nice but the seat interior is terrible it cracks all up around the seat and seat belt. The bumper seem to be loose and and if in an accident it seem like It'll crack right up!?! There needs to be a recall on the seats. I also have the ABS light on which has been explained to me as a recall?