2005 Dodge Durango SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Durango model:
210,000 miles in 5 years
By november128 on 11/25/13 07:44 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Durango SUV ST Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought an '05 Dodge Durango ST with 45k on it in June 07 for ~$19k. In that time I've put on over 165,000 miles. I have had to replace all 4 tires twice, battery, headlights, alternator, gas tank (factory recall covered by Dodge), spark plugs, & air compressor. What finally did me in was losing the transmission about 2 weeks ago. Fixing it would run about $1500 and even then its no guarantee how much more the car has in it. The gas mileage is miserable but this car held on through the rough & tumble college years where it was routinely loaded down with people & stuff for long haul drives (1k+ miles). Nothing fancy but sturdy. I am sad to see it go and not sure what I'll replace it with.

0 - 220,000 in 8 years
By supershel777 on 11/23/13 17:01 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle! We have put 220,000 miles on this SUV and been back and forth across this country many times. It has performed flawlessly. We have done Nothing to the engine other than the exhaust manifold came loose from the engine. Great comfort and realiability! Lots of space for cargo. We are a traveling band and hauling sound equipment all over was hard on this truck but she just kept going and going and is still going!

Love this SUV.
By kgates75 on 10/11/12 13:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love this truck. It has been dependable since I purchased it in 2007. It was a 2005 with 23K. I have driven this from WI - TN x2 and WI- FL x2. No issues other then it spits fuel back out when you fill it. Minor repair issues. I even hit a deer did minimal damage. I feel very safe in this truck.

Great SUV no problems at all.
By captain_jim2 on 03/01/12 15:12 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Durango SUV ST 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had the Durango a little over 4 years. I have not had one single reason to bring it to the shop other than routine oil changes and the 60,000 mile service which I had done by my mechanic not the local Dodge dealer as Landers McCarty in Huntsville is totally dishonest. The options listed the ST with the 4.7 V8 as a 4x4 although mine is just rear wheel drive but they did not have that option. I felt it important to list the V8 since I can not speak for the reliability of the other engines. I also get 14-16 Mpg around town and at least 20 Mpg on trips. I would highly recommend this SUV.

Great family & work vehicle!
By jdhand32 on 07/07/11 13:06 PM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great vehicle for road trips with family, fun around town, or as an everyday driver. I use it for work and average around 1k miles a week. The selling points on the Durango are ride quality and interior features. It has a super smooth ride with great handling for a vehicle it's size. It also has several nice bells and whistles that Dodge puts into it's higher end vehicles (ipod connection, bluetooth, sat radio, etc.). The downsides are also there though. Poor gas mileage, minimal second row leg room, and a little more road noise than some prefer. It also has great cargo room and a great sound system.

After 5 years 85000 miles of ownership
By mrcrow2u on 03/05/11 08:16 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Overall very good SUV. Ride is smooth but can get bouncy on rough roads. No major mechanical issues, sporadic stalling has happened a few times per year, EGR had to be replaced under warranty. Check engine light will come on if gas cap is not on properly. Average 17.6 mpg in mixed driving. Incredible in bad weather, made many long trips in bad weather to hockey games. 3rd row seating not very comfortable to anyone over 12. Lose all rear storage space with 3rd row in use. Rear and middle rows can be folded down which is nice. Sound system is very good. No build quality issues to report. Overall very happy with the Durango and would consider buying another one in the future.

Beware of recalls
By Meaghan M on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango SUV ST 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My Durango has been a trooper. we originally drove this vehicle from FL to IL with no issues. This is a vehicle that can handle miles and will last. But one issue I have found is my gas inlet does not close. This causes gas to over flow when I fuel the vehicle. Now this was a recall for this vehicle. I have also experienced my car shifting out of park (which caused me to park into a cop) but Chrysler refuses to uphold to repair being my vin is not highly reported. So be aware of the vehicle and its faults.

Very nice truck for the money.
By DFMN on 06/15/10 09:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Dodge Durango SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a 05 Black limited 4x4 with the Hemi 94k miles. The person prior took extremely good care of the vehicle. It runs perfect in every way and is very quiet for such a big motor.The tranny is silky smooth. Gas mileage in town is 16 mpg and on the freeway is 21-22 cruising at 75. The ride is good but not great, handling is the same. Infinity sound system is fantastic. The seats are comfortable during long trips etc. Towing is great and the vehicle is very stable on the road at all times. The drivers seat plastic has cracked just like all the rest, not a big deal, but annoying. Other than that, I love this truck. Pictures do not do it justice, go drive one and you will likely buy it.

Great Vehicle Great Customer Service
By Jeep n Dodge guy on 01/16/10 23:47 PM (PST)

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is an all around great vehicle. Yes the plastic seat molds break, but like everything they cannot last forever. The ride is amazing and the power is extreme. I have the 5.7l V8 Hemi.The dealership is in Bloomington Indiana (Town and Country). I recommend going there. All of the sales team were really friendly, and I was not pushed (big one for me). First time Durango owner and I am oleased.

My 2005 Dodge Durango
By GP on 12/10/09 07:15 AM (PST)

2005 Dodge Durango SUV SXT Rwd 4dr SUV (3.7L 6cyl 4A)

I got a great deal on this vehicle from the dealership. Within the first few months, I had to have the gas tank replaced. However, this was a recall item and the dealership was very helpful and courteous in getting it replaced. Other than that, it's been a joy to own. It rides just as good, if not better, than a Honda or Toyota. Fuel efficiency is decent in the city for a vehicle this size - about 17mpg city. On the highway, I know I'm getting at least 22 mpg which is very decent for a vehicle of this size. This is definitely the best vehicle I've ever owned!