Used 2009 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Avenger - Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Avenger

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

I LOVE my car!
By ado

2009 Dodge Avenger R/T 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I absolutely love my car! This car looks hot(even better with tinted windows). I thought that the R/T offered quite a few options for very little money. While the 4 cy. engine won't beat anyone off the line, I do get about 24 mpg. The ride is very smooth and the car is fun to drive. There is a blind spot to get used to and the chrome around the gear shift can cause a glare, but otherwise I like the chrome look. I enjoy having Sirius radio and I love having the radio controls on the steering wheel (a feature I thought I'd never use!) The interior is extemely roomy and there is a lot of trunk space.

Favorite Features

Exterior appearance, satellite radio, steering wheel radio controls, roomy interior, and gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the headrests and there is that blindspot.

Alternative to Cookie-Cutter Sedans
By James

2009 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 11/08 (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I've always liked the look of the Dodge Charger, but they're too big and too rear-wheel driven for the wife, so we went with the "Baby Charger." First off, it looks like no other sedan out there. Whether that's a good thing or bad thing is up to you, but we love it. Bright red with tinted windows looks pretty mean. Interior controls are layed out nicely, but build quality (uneven gaps, rock-hard platics, etc) is a little lacking. We average mid-to-high 20's for gas mileage. Engine gets the job done but you won't win any races.

Favorite Features

Aggressive exterior stying, interior controls layed out thoughtfully, seats are comfy, good gas mileage, very quiet interior.

Suggested Improvements

Uneven gaps in interior panels, 4- speed auto tranny "hunts" too much on hills, may look like a powerhouse but is slow as a glaicer.

This Avenger is Great!
By Mike W.

2009 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this '09 Avenger SXT at the end of June. I was trading in an '03 Intrepid that had been great for me but it was time to go new. And I was ready to go back to 4-cyl. The car looked great and handled the test drive much better than what I had read about its performance. No complaints at all two months later. Love the satellite radio! Love the interior room! Love the easy handling! Love the smoothness! Have figured out the blind spot issue - no problem at all.

Favorite Features

Same feel on the road as my previous '03 Intrepid. More powerful 4- cyl. than my "new style" 2000 Neon. Great sound system!

Suggested Improvements

None.

Rock Hard Seats
By L2

2009 Dodge Avenger R/T 4dr Sedan w/Prod. End 11/08 (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

I have 16k miles on now. Drive all the time. Seats are rock hard. Back seat makes you feel like a dungeon. I have to lean forward to look out. Front seat would be more comfortable if flat. Hav enothad great gas mileage either. Horrible visibility and blind spots.

Favorite Features

Sat Radio

Suggested Improvements

Bigger back passenger window. Get rid of the black plastic and put glass. More cushion in all the seats

GROSSLY Underrated!!
By Bill

2009 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my 2009 sxt (2.7l v^) in November of 2008 and love it to death! Solid construction; beautiful design; fast performance; overall, it's great! Just because it's not an import is no reason for car & driver and Edmund's to slam it. They rank it low on "fun to drive, " and they either didn't drive one or are stupid! This car is a blast!

Favorite Features

Sleek appearance; solid construction; great performance

Suggested Improvements

As others have stated, the blind spot in the rear sides, BUT using the side-view mirrors properly eliminates the blind spot.