2003 Chevrolet Tahoe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:
Never Getting Rid of It
By Erin on 08/28/08 16:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchsed this my 2003 Chevy Tahoe in August of '03 brand new right off the delivery truck and had loved it since. I've only had minor problems with it like the fuel pump going bad, 2 dead batteries, and bad starter. Besides all of that it has been very good to me. I don't plan to get rid of it ever. I recently gave it to my 15 y/o son as a gift for getting his permit when I purchsed the '08 Tahoe. Hoping for the same.

Great Truck
By kstall3 on 08/08/08 07:43 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck used in 2004 with 19,000 miles. I have had very few problems in the last 4 four years. My fuel pump did go out, but I have observed that happens on all Chevy trucks, you have to factor that into the cost. My fuel economy is pretty good for having over 300 HP and 33inch tires (after market). I love this truck and don't have any plans to trade in.

End of an Era
By Marc on 05/26/08 05:27 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought for its ability to go off-road, have only done that a handful of times. Lots of electrical gremlins, have had it in and out of the shop for repairs.

Great Family Car
By hot mama on 03/08/08 20:18 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This car has been a great car for our family. We put on a lot of miles traveling all over town and it is for the most part very reiliable. There has only been minor problems with some electrical in this car. like a light won't work one day but will the next. It is extremely comfortable. In 2003 there was no other SUV on the market this roomy or comfortable. We have a Z71 package with a TV and that has also been a great delight for our kids

Money Pit
By Kiki on 01/12/08 15:32 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Tahoe, but I have had many problems with it. The intermediate shaft's gone out twice. The actuator for the vent control's going out (will eventually lose control over where the a/c and heat come out). Speedometer cluster went out. Passenger window's getting slow. Steering wheel and driver door sqeak uncontrollably (door bolt costs $100 to fix). Chevy says actuator, intermediat shaft, and speedometer cluster problems are common in Tahoes with this body style. Not sure if I'll ever buy another one. All of the problems have been expensive and made me dislike the car that I once loved. Not worth the money. The new ones would have to be totally different for me to buy one.

2nd SUV
By 2nd SUV on 10/19/07 12:16 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the SUV new, and had some initial problems with the locks. It had to be taken to the dealership several times before they finally got the problem fixed. The front end wasn't aligned when I bought the SUV and it took two trips to get that properly aligned. At about 40000 miles, the speedometer quit working and the whole gauge unit had to be rebuilt. It now gets about 2 mpg less than when new. The only other repairs that have been needed is when my son literally drove it through a brick wall. It only had a couple of scratches and dents, and the exterior mirrors had to be replaced; but it was drivable and I made my son drive it until the garage got the parts to fix it.

1500,000 miles and Still Going
By TMcCall on 09/14/07 08:40 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my Z71 Tahoe since I bought it brand new in 2003, and I have yet to change the brakes! Yes, I have triend to get someone to change them and they wouldn't do it becuase they told me the Tahoe didn't need them. Amazing. I owned a silverado before this and the ride difference is huge. I installed a K and N cold air intake system on it and my accelleration is so much better. I travel all over the Southeast driving an average of 30,000 miles/year and this is a chariot. By far the best vehicle I have ever owned. When this one dies on me I will buy another one to last me another 5 years.

Can't break it with a bat
By Bill on 08/28/07 19:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have the Z71. Fantastic truck. Rides as well with 63,000 as when new. A couple initial problems, drive shaft replacement, and no shifting back into 2WD, but dealer fixed it, and hasn't been back to the shop in 30,000 miles. Very solid truck. Was rear ended by Ford Econoline loaded with tools doing 35 MPH. Only $3,500 damage, and was still drivable. Glad I was in the Tahoe and not something else. This truck gives me the confidence to take it anywhere in any conditions. I feel this truck will run forever. Foreign vehicles have nothing on this truck.

Why I'll not own another U.S. SUV
By F. X. McGrath on 11/26/06 18:13 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Too many mechanical problems after 60,000 miles. Replaced fuel pump, water pump, instrument cluster, (speedometer stopped working), replaced horn, engine gasket, steering problems. For a vehicle of this age and mileage these types of problems should not occur. I'll not own another Chevy. My next vehicle will be Japanese or German. U.S. auto makers need to make a more reliable vehicle if they want to compete.

Happy Tahoe owner
By JJ on 08/30/06 10:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Since new, this vehicle has been flawless and I have every option except sunroof. I have it serviced before time with selling dealer and it is garage kept. I baby this vehicle. Last year I almost traded it for a "Caddy" but this vehicle had more options and a whole lot less expensive and gas mileage was near same. Overall, a great vehicle.