2009 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Review: Shuddering Suburban

2009 Chevrolet Suburban - Consumer Review

Shuddering Suburban
By David DNO on

2009 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ 1500 4dr SUV 4WD (5.3L 8cyl 6A)

My 2009 Suburban is spacious, elegant and well built. The cabin is very quiet at any speed, and the handling for such a large vehicle is impressive. I have a large family and the Suburban is the only "Car" that suits my needs. The Suburban has the ability to cut down to 4 cylinders on flat or down hill surfaces to improve fuel economy. The down side to this feature, which is standard on ALL models, is the unfortunate tendency to "shudder". The truck will "buck" during a coast. Sometimes accompanied by a distinct clattering from the engine compartment. Additionally, when accelerating up hill, the truck will lumber, failing to accelerate, as the engine screams to answer the command.

Sharp lines and very well done interior make this the most refined Suburban in the lineage. The LTZ spares no expense on refinements such as, the leather seats, wood grained dash, and quiet cabin. You'll never need more space than what this 2009 Suburban provides...and I have a family of 7.

The "tweaking" of the drive train is a disappointment. This is my third Suburban and the 2009 has lost a lot in translating the old "bullet-proof" pairings from earlier models. The unfortunate tendency to shudder and buck is concerning, and makes me wonder if the truck will be long term dependable.