1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:
Nice Hauler, but troublesome.
By Pats Truck on 05/20/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased used with 53000 miles. My neighbor is a GM mechanic and told me I'd be putting a water pump on it soon. At 63,000 sure enough, it needed a water pump. Within months started seeing coolant leak again. This time intake manifold gaskets. Researched the internet, seems this is a problem with 5.7 engines. GM's solution...redesign the motor. No service bulletin, no corporate support, fix it yourself. It's unfortunate GM refuses to be honorable and stand behind what is obviously a defect, not normal wear and tear. It ran better after new gaskets but wallet $600 lighter. All in all my family loves it but my instincts tell me to get rid of it soon.

3/4 ton HD SUV
By j leishman on 04/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K2500 4dr SUV 4WD

Pulls a 7000 pound trailer great, very versatile as it carries 4X8 sheets of material. Burns not a drop of oil at 107000 miles. Every feature still works good.

My 1998 Suburban
By Chevy11111 on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Good solid vehicle, lots of room. No real issues. Fuel economy is not as bad as people think. I get 16 to 17 mpg. Nice ride. Coul come with larger diameter wheels.

Chevy Suburban
By bwilch on 02/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

This is the ultimate family transport vehicle that is not shy about pulling a boat, trailer or even stumps! The highway ride is terrific and with the 4-wheel drive, it's virtually unstoppable in the snow! We've got 4 kids and they appreciate having their own space--let alone the golden retriever who has the back all to herself. Plenty of power, comfort, and heft helps maintain the heritage of the suburban!

1998 C2500 w/7.4
By fellows on 01/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C2500 4dr SUV

I bought this used and have been happy with the vehicle for 8 months. I got new pads for the brakes and installed a K&N Filter Kit. On a trip to Idaho/Montana I got 14mpg/65mph, 13mpg/70mph, and 11.9/78mph. Three kids, dog, trailer.. no problems. This vehicle is great around town, it has a very sharp turning radius and can get with it when necessary. With gasoline nearing $1.75, it costs ~ $65 or so to fill. I feel very safe within in the vehicle.

Suburban
By 123456789123456789 on 01/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 4dr SUV

The Suburban of our family is the one we rely on and hauls the family and groceries. The mother of the home drives it and she thinks it is the best car out their.

Good so far.
By sellinghomes4u on 12/09/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Best overall large SUV I've looked at. Checked out Explorers and Jeep Grand Cherokee and Durango. All WAY too small for a family. Overall it seems to be a well thought out vehicle. I wonder if some of the people who've rated it so badly perhaps hadn't gotten ones that had been abused wrecked or poorly modified. I also rated it highly on gas mileage. Mine has been averaging 15mpg in mixed driving, it's overall fuel economy isn't much different than my mini-van. I haven't owned it long enough to comment on reliabilty. It's comfortable, quiet, smooth and handles quite well (within the confines of what it is). Overall I'm quite pleased with it.

Love-Hate Relationship
By Dennis Richardt on 12/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought it used. Thank my lucky stars I purchased a warranty. 6 months Trani. 16 months rear end. 23 months signal switch, $400.00. Above average break wear. And it pulls the boat very well. It loves the Colorado 4x4 mountain trails. Never a lack of power. I love it & and sometimes hate it. But I would never be without it.

Broken
By bdew on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Our suburban is on it's 4th alternator and it's 4th fuel pump which is a 400.00 part that is inside the fuel tank. The water pump and intake manifold gasket have both had to be replaced with countles other problems like brakes and electrical failures. The motor pings badly when under no load but going up a slight incline and has 60% of it's original power.

Favorite Vehicle in 30 years
By PEDE on 08/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased in order to carry 1 child, 3 Grandchildren and my faithful Dog. I couldn't be happier with any other vehicle. I'v been buying & driving for 30 years and have had some pretty raw deals. This one has been AWSOME. I would HIGHLY recommend a Suburban for a family or a person needing hauling/towing capacity.