Used 2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chevrolet Sonic - Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Sonic

View reviews for a specific Sonic model:

2012 chevy sonic lt i love my car
By joes02

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car sense may 2012 I wanted a new escape but I went to ford to look at them and for a used 09 escape they wanted 25,000 i said no way. Went to Chevy and looked around they where nice and very helpful I looked and looked at the sonic until i found the one I Loved Test drove it and went back to buy it, They made sure i could really afford the car because Im 19 buying a car WITHOUT CO SIGNER and going to college. I knew I could and may I say Im glad I got my Sonic I love it I had a 95 nissan that I loved but I wanted a New car so I got what I wanted. It gets 26 mpg and Im happy with it i wish was more because of the STUPID gas prices but not complaining. Love this car!!!

Favorite Features

Everything is my favorite Im just in love with this car. If i had to pick one favorite its the color its summit white and I think its looks AMAZING. The electronic odometer is pretty neat and the gas gage I love knowing how many more miles i have to go until fill up

Suggested Improvements

The one improvement I would say is the radio but They came out with the touch screen control panel for the 2013 I want one some bad maybe trading in

excellent vehicle
By mikeinwaco

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased a Sonic LT because of its interior comfort and fit, performance, economy, and in-cabin features. Although pleased, I soon discovered a problem with electronic display...gas mileage indicator and odometer were faulty or not working...will have to return for repairs two weeks after purchase. Also, after driving off lot, was struck at busy intersection on right rear quarter panel...damage was minimal...07 Scion was totalled. I really like having gas consumption, compass, outdoor temperature indicators and blue tooth capability. Bought Sonic over Cruz due to hard seat cushions in Cruz. Got exactly 35 mph on road. Aside from problem mentioned, I'm very satisfied.

Favorite Features

Electronic display; blue tooth, acceleration and peformance, comfort, gas mileage, cabin insulation.

Suggested Improvements

Like all its subcompact competitors, I wish the Sonic had greater front-end clearance. Most driveway ramps and other minor dips and depressions, not mention the concrete curbs or bumpers at the front end of a parking place, will grab the underside of the front of the vehicle causing damage to the front panel.

Sonic LT 1.4l Turbo Sedan
By pljenkins

2012 Chevrolet Sonic LT 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

After almost 3 weeks of trying to appropriate a Hyundai Accent SE with a manual transmission, I finally gave up and started looking around at alternatives in the price range. After much research I decided on the Sonic and I am very pleased. The build quality is top notch and the manual transmission is butter smooth and is by far the easiest clutch I have ever driven, and I've driven many. Road and wind noise is very quiet in spite of the miserly size of the car. The interior is reasonably roomy for this class of car, but it's no Continental. Trunk space is excellent. I went with the Sound and Connect package with the bluetooth and it synced up with little complaint with my LG Optimus.

Favorite Features

As mentioned before, this is the most forgiving clutch I have every operated. I have to really try to stall this thing off the line, and given the 1.4l engine, that's impressive. Hill Assist is effective for really big hills, but it takes some getting used to and with this clutch setup it's almost overkill. The 1.4l/turbo combo is a nice engine and the fuel economy is great. The turbo is inaudible and compliments the engine power and torque smoothly with the notable exception of starting off the line, where spool-up can cause a burst of power and make turns from a stop sporty if you're not paying attention. Interior is just sexy and the fit and finish is tight.

Suggested Improvements

Electronic assist steering is good at slow speeds, but it doesn't "back off" enough at highway speeds, with the result being that it is easy to overcorrect and "wander" around the lane. A coolant temperature gauge would be nice. Oddly there is none. The arm rest for the driver is too small and poorly placed. I am 5'9" and 220#, so I fit in the realm of "normal sized driver" and the arm rest is too close for me to rest my arm comfortably on it. Passenger seat does not have an arm rest, which is annoying. Stereo system could benefit from a small subwoofer. It has adequate output, but the quiet interior makes the lack of dynamic range noticeable.