Used 2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Silverado 2500HD model:

2008 chevy 2500 hd
By beikegm

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab LT1 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Major disappointment. Transmission problems since day one, door lock actuators fail repeatedly, overheats when pulling a trailer. Had rims and chrome trim replaced from corrosion, and it's doing it again! gm wont replace it a second time. Trying to trade it off but can't find a dealer who will give me anything for it. Learned my lesson after 20 years of being a gm only owner it's time to change.

Great truck
By Neil

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab LT2 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I chose this model as it could be converted to also use CNG and now I get about 20 mpg (CNG) on the freeway at 65 - 70 mph. With gasoline it would be 3 mpg better but CNG is $1.53/gal I use it in the mountains (+9000 feet) and it just goes anywhere. Upgraded to 285/75/16 tires for a snowplow (clearance) - Plow works fine with the 160 amp alternator. Replaced the catalytic converter in first year but otherwise no problems and I now have 34K miles and 2 years on it. I enjoy driving this truck. Its comfortable and rides easy. I tow a 8000 lb back hoe trailer with ease.

6 speed transmission with the manual gear selection option. 4WD on the fly shift in to or out of 4HI.

A 4WD indicator light on speedometer - the 4wd control is hidden by the steering wheel and gear shift. Larger tires.

Great Truck
By Joe

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab LTZ 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I have always been a Ford guy, but when shopping for the F250 versus Silverado 2500, I thought the Chevy had a better ride, a nicer interior, a the dealer was very aggressive in terms of pricing. Mileage has been OK so far, well within my expectations. Also, very pleased with the looks of the truck.

The interior and ride was what sold me. The diesel can pull more than anything I will ever need to pull. And it's a very queit motor once warmed up.

Being picky, the truck should come standard with running boards/steps. I've put on some after markets that look great. The bed rails should also have protection. Again, after markets look great. Also, the interior door panels are just a little plasticy. Really not much to complain about.

Gas is out. Diesel's in!
By Diesel Convert

2008 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Extended Cab LT1 4dr Extended Cab SB (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I've been studying diesels for a few years now. Wanted one in a 2005 Liberty, wife at the time didn't. Finally bought what I wanted after the divorce. Went from two vehicles to one, so this is a daily driver and the only viable daily driver amongst the big three IMO. I get 14 mpg city A/C on (with lots of idling and sitting at lights), 19.5 highway (70 to 75 mph). Not bad for a vehicle that weighs this much and can tow 15,400 lbs. Can't imagine feeding the old gas big block! Ride is a little rough on bad roads because of the heavy duty nature. I'm researching how to change that (airbags, different springs/shocks). With a load, it's perfect.

Without a doubt: Duramax/Allison. This is by far the best light diesel drivetrain on the market. Test drive them all; you'll see. I still have respect for Cummins. None for Powerstroke. My interior is very nice. Wish it had the LT2 cloth but could not live without bench seat in extended cab.

Wicked quick truck needs better brakes. Ford's instills confidence, these don't. Towing mirrors are also not as good as Ford's. I wish the ebony cloth did not have a deathgrip on dust. Needs a chrome delete option and bigger factory wheels and tires. All cheaper to fix than a wimpy engine!

Great Value
By Third Geek

Duramax w/Ali Tranny - very good value. Sticker 44.8k - Paid 35.3k. Very nice ride - itty bitty tires though (16"?) that I'm gonna replace. Fuel economy on new diesels flat out stinks - no reason it should be that low. Love the interior - plenty of room. Well designed for towing and work.

Desert Brown metallic - nice color Duramax engine - excellent power Interior layout - very well done

Fuel economy - come on folks The strange "patches" in front of rear wheel fenders? Get rid of the low to ground chrome in front of the front wheels - bad design decision. Curve of cab on sides is too much - snow/rain drips onto seats when you open doors.