Used 1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific S-10 model:

96 Chevy S-10
By theman

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Very mechanically sound vehicle. Owned for 8 years, with very few repairs other than normal wear and tear. Would recommend this vehicle to anyone who wants a reliable truck that gets good gas mileage.

3rd door

Replace the jump seat with a back row and extend the rear cab a bit.

Excellent '96 S-10 service
By Kirk M

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

Purchased in '02 with 107,000 miles, now has 165,000 miles with no trouble other than alternator, tires, brake pads (normal wearing items) Of course, I do all the normal maintenance that is supposed to be done (ex-auto mechanic with 15+ years experience)

All of 'em!

Maybe a V-8?

Great Truck!
By darkembrace

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

I purchased this truck with 57000 miles on it in 5/04. I've had it just under 2 years and it now has 98000 miles on it. The only work I've had to do is a starter, tires, and a radiator hose. The fuel economy is great. I drive it 600 hundred miles every other weekend through the Ozark Mountains to pick my daughter up for visitation. That is lot of hard driving for a 4 cylinder motor. I still haven't even had to put a clutch in this truck, and I drive it hard. The a/c still blows cold. I would recommend it to anyone.

Reliability, fuel economy, instrument layout

A little more towing capacity

Constantly in the shop
By Marshall Green

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab SB

This was the worst vehicle I ever owned. A year after having it I got rear ended and my oil filter fell off. Not knowing it, I started to leave, naturally with no oil in the engine. The new engine cost me $6000. The heater core broke and fluid poured into my cab. The wheels were constanly out of alignment. The water pump went out, exploding coolant all out of the bottom. This happened of course while I was 1500 miles from home so that cost me a pretty penny at a dealer. The ignition swith along with spark plug wires went out at the same time. There were more things but I don't have all day. Terrible, terrible vehicle. I would not recommend it to anybody, unless you want to get stranded

The day I got rid of it.

Destroy all remaining S-10's.

Good truck between major repairs
By Tim

1996 Chevrolet S-10 Extended Cab LS 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I'm the original owner of my 4wd ext. cab ZR2 with 100K mi as of 12/05, and the truck has been a blast to drive off road and to haul stuff with. However, there have been several major repairs that have cost much $$: Tranny at 50K mi, fuel pump, pwr window motor & switches, 6 batteries, oil leaks, two A/C units, two alternators, electrical problems, idler pulley and recently some ignition system problems. Also, at 16 MPG on the highway it is a lousy commuter. I'm convinced the ABS never worked right in spite of at least 3 recalls/bulletins. The 4.3L Vortec V6 has been strong and burns no oil.

Interior is very comfortable. Simple things like visor extensions and clean instrument and environmental control layout go a long way. It can be rear-ended quite hard and suffer minimal damage. Mine's been hit four times.

Reliability of major drivetrain components and accessories. Bigger gas tank (at 16 MPG, I avoid going more than 200 mi with the 13.8 gal. tank).