2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

No defects
By carolcarlo

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is the first car that I have ever owned that did not have to go back to the dealership for something to be fixed. I have not had any problems with my Monte in over 3 years. I love my dependable car. It's definitely the "Full Monty"!

Favorite Features

Great styling, great fit on all parts. People are always complimenting my stylish car. And it was very affordable!

Oh, Geezzzz
By Suzcrew

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Oh, geezz...this car was a dream when I bought it new! It is fast and furious. When a 4 year old stops you at a gas station and tells you your car is cool and you aren't driving a fire truck...you know you are sporting a good looking ride. Since the warranty ran out I have had a few problems. Signal lights work when they want to. Which is very dangerous! Steering wheel controls don't work sometimes, transmission is slipping and a seal leaking. Very costly repairs at 40,000 miles!! Was hoping to get more out of this good looking car.

Favorite Features

Overall Look! Get up and go! Gas mileage is pretty good. Steering wheel controls (when they work).

Suggested Improvements

Make it easier to get into the back seat. Also the front door slams shut if not opened all of the way (watch your legs). Fix the electrical issues that several of us are having. Rear stereo controls. Interrior squeaking. !?!?

back in black
By dallas isbell

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love my car.the only thing is the gas mileage.that wouldn't be a problem if the gas prices were reasonable.nice riding car.

Favorite Features

sporty looking,its got class

Suggested Improvements

the console should be made out of something that doesn't peel.and there's no ashtray in the front seat.other then that ...i love it.

Not displeased
By tonyk

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Been driving for over 3 years. Driven quite aggressively, but the car has held up remarkably well. The engine works just like it was new. No major mechanical problems. Did have some problems with the side airbag on the leather seat, but it was fixed under warranty. I average 30 miles per gallon despite really hammering the throttle. I plan to keep this car until it dies. There is something to be said for the nice low-tech 3.8 liter pushrod. May not have the power of the Japanese DOHC's, but darn, its so reliable and efficient.

Favorite Features

I love the engine and all the dials on the instrument panel. I also really like that the ignition is on the dash instead of the steering column. Trunk space is great.

Suggested Improvements

Had problems with the brakes. Dealer replaced them under warranty, but it was like pulling teeth to get that. Ground clearance is a bit of an issue. Traction control is totally stupid. I turn it off when it snows or rains.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!
By montegirl

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I love everything about this car, from the body style to the engine. After owning this car for 3 years I still enjoy driving it. I own the metallic jade green SS 2 dr model, and never want to part with it. This car is fun to drive and with the sunroof open and Michael Jackson on the radio, there is no greater joy!

Favorite Features

Body style, heated seats, sunroof

Suggested Improvements

None

Very Pleased!
By Char li

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

So far I have been very pleased with my 2001 Monte Carlo I bought a year ago. Its a nice ride,good on gas on the highway.

Favorite Features

I like the door locking automatically when you start the engine. I also like the message center. The fact that you put gas in on the drivers side is good too because you can see if you leave the flap open by mistake when you look in your mirror. There is also plenty of storage space.

Suggested Improvements

The doors are a bit heavy, and sometimes its a bit sluggish going up hills. Needs a little more leg room in the rear.

Somewhat Satisfied
By --Andy

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My Monte has been mostly a great experiance. If you own it, keep it clean inside & out because you will get alot of people noticing it! Brakes - Great - I'm on the original set @ 50K. Power - NICE. Never ashamed to drive this car. Only problem has been electrical with gas gauge not working. Turn signals were also a problem, but resolved by replacing 4-way switch. Also low tire pressure - once on, it stays on. Have to reset by removing batt for 15 minutes.

Favorite Features

Head-turning looks, roomy (people ask me what I'm planning to put in the trunk) good pick-up, decent mileage(I average 20-25mpg), handles great.

Suggested Improvements

I've had electrical problems mostly minor, but the turn signals I consider major. Low tire pressure indicator doesn't reset. OnStar pricing could be more affordable, but that's another story.

Love the style
By Teeez

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Unfortunately, we have had some pricey problems with the mechanics of our vehicle. The rear main seal started leaking at 40000 miles and had to be replaced at a tune of $500. We have had to have several things fixed on it, which has cost roughly $2500.

Favorite Features

I love the way my car drives in the rain, snow, or any weather. The heated leather seats are awesome.

Suggested Improvements

I would suggest a longer warranyt on cars that are new to the car line. The 2001 SS Monte Carlos were new that year and had several expensive bugs to work out, which is a turn off.

Head gasket problem
By brianne

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a beautiful vehicle which is a pleasure to drive. I love it, and still do, but recently with only 43000 miles on this vehicle experienced a problem with the low coolant light coming on, and find out there is a head gasket that is bad and needs repair. This is very costly, and I do not think a vehicle of this age and mileage should be experiencing this sort of problem. Of course it is over warranty and GM is not having any problems, and it is possible the vehicle was abused. I have done nothing but baby this vehicle because I love it so much. Needless to say, it is repaired, but I would say buyer beware.

01 SS
By jrmatps

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

My experience with my 01 SS has been, at best, mediocre. The car, black, still turns heads when it is clean. however, every scratch and bug splat shows. The 3800 powertrain provides spirited power. You must choose your stoplight drag races carefully- otherwise you will get burned. Worst insult was at the hands of a CHRYSLER 300-ugh!!!!!!!!

Favorite Features

1.Great gas mileage-averages 27 mpg. 2.Somewhat good-looking-especially in Black

Suggested Improvements

1.TERRIBLE intermettent vibration/clunking felt through the steering wheel(i.e-poor front end suspension construction??)