1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Best car I ever owned.
By chevylover333

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

Here is a list of all the things I have replaced on this car. Both front hub assemblies, right front brake caliper, fuel pump and lower intake manifold gaskets because the oil and coolant were mixing. Things that currently don't work are sun roof, air conditioning (due to leak in line going into the condensor) and brake lights only work when pulling back on turn signal while braking. I think that is a really good track record for a car that has 235k on it and counting! The transmission and engine are in excellent condition even though Im pretty sure the transmission fluid has only been changed once. Its the wifes car and I took over maintenance at 150k and I know it hasn't been changed since

Favorite Features

Reliability and power are my favorite features. Even though she still has 235k on her my wife and I drive it like we stole it and she keeps taking the punishment and begging for more! I love the looks on peoples faces when I open up the 3.8 V6 and dust em LOL! They dont expect that from a old and beat up Chevy.

Suggested Improvements

Watch out for the oil and coolant mixing. They fixed the gaskets and the new ones are aluminum so the dexcool antifreeze cant eat em up. Chevy just needs to work on their electrical systems on all makes and models! I love Chevys but the electrical engineers need to step up their game. Way too many burnt out headlights, brake lights and just annoying little things like my message center light in my 07' Avalanche shorting out. But I will still buy a Chevy before anything else because you just can't beat the the main component reliability. I.E. Engine and transmission.

Reliable, and Lots of Fun!
By roman238

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I no longer own this car, but I felt it deserved my review. Bought this car used in 2002 with 23,000 miles on her. At the time it was overall the best car I had ever owned, and I've owned quite a few. At 34k the rear seals went bad, (a common problem with the 3100 that year). At about 45k I replaced the brakes. The muffler cracked at 60k...replaced that. The gas tank at 64k and the water pump at 85k. I put new tires on when I first bought her, and they passed inspection in May 2012. Other than those repairs, all I did was change the oil and rotate the tires. In Nov. of 2012, I traded the old girl in on a 1998 Monte Carlo Z34 with only 45k which I will review as well. The best car I ever had!

Favorite Features

I bought this car loaded with every feature available at that time. Leather, cd player, power everything, sunroof, AC, huge trunk, etc. A whole bunch of little things went wrong over the years, but nothing would stop this car from going, day after day, mile after mile. I loved driving this automobile! In spite of the flaws, I loved this car so much that when I finally traded her in, I felt like I had lost a friend.

Suggested Improvements

Some of the interior items could have been improved upon. The glove box broke after a couple of years, the center console cover too. A few trim screws popped here and there, the AC went (I didn't bother fixing it), I changed the battery and realized the placement was not friendly to a back yard mechanic. The frame for the sunroof loosened up and I quit using the slider after that because the repair was so involved. Still, overall she was the best car I've ever owned.

Monte Carlo, Reliable for the price!
By NawlinsNative

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

Purchased in September, 2000, it has less than 25K miles on it. Other than maintenance, it has been perfect. Ten years of reliability. Will be soon passed on to our son in college in another state. We trust its reliability. The 3.1L still gets close to 30 mpg on hwy, 20 city. Just traveled to Ohio a few months ago. Smooth ride. Recommend this car for its value.

Favorite Features

Reliable with nice performance, power when needed, and decent gas mileage for a car with 140K. Inexpensive to maintain

Suggested Improvements

When designed, the front end wasn't so attractive. Sides looks sporty.

Decent
By Wade

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I love driving this thing! However I have had major issues, alternator went once and nearly killed me the way it went off. I have also replaced the controls arms for three wheels. It gets really good mileage on the HW (nearly 30 most of the time) and around 18 for daily around the town use. I've also had issues with the brakes but nothing major. Good car for the price and after reading other reviews my experience seems to be an outlier. I love driving it though and I would be another if it came along.

Favorite Features

Sound system is very good, good mileage, fun drive

10 years and going
By Alan

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

Never thought I would love a Chevy. Have my Monte for 10 years and 140k. Always reliable & comfortable. Usual repairs and maintenance and nothing too expensive. The one bother is the lights on the radio panel have gone out which makes the dash a bit less attractive. Impressed with GM, bought a Trailblazer and love that too.

210,000 miles!
By Logan

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

At 210,000 miles this thing is still driving great. God bless the 3.8! I have repaired a waterpump, replaced one battery and a starter. The most expensive repair was around 75 dollars and a couple hours of labor. I'll change the oil every 4 to 6 thousand miles and keep an eye on my brakes for maintanence and change out my air filter every 15,000 miles. If you rode in this car you would never guess that it has driven over 200 thousand miles and eaten through 3 sets of tires. Anyway, great car and better motor!

Favorite Features

Just keeps going and going!

Suggested Improvements

New blinkers

Monte Carlo!
By blake

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

i have had this monte for 2 years and I put a lot of work into it. I upgraded some parts to performance. air intake, rims, tinted windows, performance chip, painted calipers. Chevy is easy to handle, maintain, easy to replace everything. I get about 17 gallons per gallons tho, and its bad since the gas prices are right now!

Suggested Improvements

Need better gas mileage or upgrade these engines to e85 gas!

Good Car
By Jared

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

Great all around car to have. I bought it with 97,000 miles a year ago. It had a few problems right away with the directional switch, but the dealer fixed it. Then it had a problem with the starter, but my warranty covered it. Besides that it is quite solid, and the engine purrs the way it did when it was brand new I'm sure. I have no big complaints because all other problems are minor. The hinge on the storage compartment on mine broke too, and the transmission doesn't seem to grip right away when it's shifted into park (it coasts a bit and then snaps to a rest pretty hard). Also, the gas mileage isn't great on mine (22 mpg) average, but I'm buying some upgrades to improve that.

Favorite Features

The 3800 series II motor is one of the best Chevy ever built. It has great power and decent fuel economy, also the car rides comfortably and has many great luxury features (dual climate control, etc). I now have 115,00 miles on it and it's still a very solid car, and I would by a new one, no doubts

Suggested Improvements

The car has some electrical gremlins that need to be addressed. I've had a few light problems because shorts, starter was replaced, directional switch was replaced, and my ABS sensor goes on every now and then (esp in winter), and I have to turn my car off and then back on again to have ABS

Durable
By sbbarnes

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I purchased my Monte Carlo from my uncle who bought it new. It had a few minor oil leaks and some transmission leaks. It was easily fixed and now it currently has over 225,000 miles. Not one spot of rust, though some stone pecks. The doors haven't dropped at all. It is just as quiet as ever. This one has the 3100 engine. No problems yet. Though the gas mileage isn't as good. I average 24-27 mostly highway.

Favorite Features

It still goes. No hesitation after 225000 miles. Plenty of acceleration. It feels like it leans into the wind. Plenty of go power when you need it.

Suggested Improvements

The doors are way too long. If you park next to another car you have to contort your body to get out of the car. Trunk space could be improved. Also this car in not pretty.

I Love My Monte
By Patricia Engelbrecht

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I believe something happened to my car before I bought it...the front seats are NOT right. The time I asked them to be checked I was told they were normal...but I have checked other 1998 Monte Carlos and they are better. My husband is a big guy and he does not have much room. Besides this problem, I love my Monte Carlo. (I owned a 1985 Monte Carlo before I bought the 1998.)

Favorite Features

Beautiful car ~ Handles well ~ (Knock on wood) Have not had any problems with it.

Suggested Improvements

Paint seemed to chip in some places..a little too soon...