2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:
WHO KNEW?
By rogerw5 on 03/12/14 07:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Been driving a Nissan for a while; went to a dealer to check out used Nissans. Walking through the used lot I spotted a 2005 Malibu Maxx; another customer behind me told me "best damn car GM ever produced". Took a test drive and bought it without hesitation...that was 7 years ago. Had the tranny rebuilt...only major fix in 7 years!! Getting ready to buy one for my granddaughter (college student)...she wanted mine...I gave her driving lessons and she also took her driving test in my Maxx. I just went over 133,000 miles! I want to be buried in it!

Good Value Car
By aramf on 02/25/13 11:39 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this one used at 60K miles. I currently have 120K on it. Chevrolet replaced the steering wheel on it. The left blinker burned out too often, untill I replaced the whole light from partstrain.com. Over the last 3 years mpg has been suffering. Recently two oxygen sensor went bad. Replaced both. The average mileage went back to 32 mpg from 24 mpg. I assume that both have to fail before check engine goes on. My front rotors tend to warp a lot. One thing that helps is not to use parking breaks. But I can got fast around the corners, it has a kicking accelaration and mpg has just improved. It is a nice semi-wagon with a strong enough engine for fun things.

100K and Beyond
By bobd10 on 05/26/12 15:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my "05 Maxx with 52k on the meter. I now have 105k. Got hit twice, both side swipes at the front end (1 on each side). Hasn't given me any major problems. Just chenged the plugs, was easy. Put in irridiums, seems like it has better response at high speed acceleration now. Only 2 gripes...the front turn signals melting and the CD player not accepting discs on the first try. Otherwise, great car.

Happy Birthday, Baby
By medinamalibu on 06/10/11 10:06 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Maxx just turned six years old with 61k on the dial. I feel like I'm spoiling it with new tires so soon after replacing the battery, front brake rotors, and front ball joints. The DIC threw a "Power Steering" message the day the battery lost its cranking power, but not since. At five years, the driver's seat developed an amazing squeak, so I learned how to remove the seat and grease the mounts. I deemed one rear skylight shade a loss after a $130+ estimate for replacement, which I indirectly referenced in my three-year update. The Maxx is comfortable and maneuverable, and hasn't given me much of any trouble outside of wear items. Some of them are annoying, and some are rather expensive.

Aging well
By cs on 09/05/10 10:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Update as I approach 90,000 miles-- probably the best car I've owned (out of 30+). Had the infamous steering shaft replaced shortly after warranty expiration, and it looked like it might fail again last year, but it must have healed itself. Other than that, it's been reliable and an extremely comfortable, flexible car. Took me several months to get used to electric steering, but once you get used to it, it's fine.

just thought the Maxx would be more...
By oct 2005 on 02/26/10 20:00 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great acceleration w/the v-6 engine. Left with doubts about brakes and steering and the sub-standard braking. Had to replace rear brake pads @ 58000 miles. What A Pity!!! Then you have the interest with the intermediate steering arm assemblies that have given so much crap to those who have purchased the electric power steering groups.

Buyers Beware
By Jennifer Davis on 01/08/10 20:19 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had a lot of problems with this car over the years. Researching a little I discovered that many people have had the same problems. The latest problem is the engine deciding to shut off while in the middle of driving. There doesn't seem to be any clear direction as to what causes this. Within the first 3 months of purchasing the car I started having brake problems. I had to get the brakes replaced within 6 months. The "DAB" warning shows up periodically (the dealership says it is not anything wrong and they just clear it). My CD player still doesn't work (2 replacements).

Mad Maxx
By kim on 01/08/10 10:40 AM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Maxx when gas prices were near 5 dollars a gallon. Downsized from a minivan. While we miss the room of the minivan we loved this vehicle. Great gas mileage! With the hatchback we could still fit a great amount of equipment and home repair supplies in the back. Both rear seats fold down. Great car for the kids to learn to drive in. Great handling, fun to drive, good quality and reliability. Safety features are fantastic....totaled it with bilateral front airbag deployment. Walked away with just a bruise and sore muscles. No contact with the airbag due to the adjustable gas and break pedals. Too bad they aren't making this model anymore. Looking for another used one to buy.

Chevy Maxx 2005
By JK on 12/21/09 19:10 PM (PST)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this car and can't believe chevy stopped making them. Can't believe the torque on this car absolutely incredible for its size. Ok, problems, the steering shaft has been fixed once already due to warranty related problems at about 20000 and now is having the same problems again at 79000 (no longer covered). The cloth seat are by far the worst I have ever had in a car, you see every single little stain, water or worse - absolutely horrible, very tough to clean, took to pro and they refused to clean the upholstery. If chevy still made them I would buy a brand new one w leather seats right away. 23 gas/city - 26 highway. CD player broke, love onboard comp and low maintanence.

05 Maxx
By Canuck44 on 09/27/09 21:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have 140,000km on mine and have had a few problems, I have done the front brakes twice and they need it again, the rear hatch light went on the fritz and started blowing fuses, the intermediate steering shaft needed to be relubed (clunking in corners), the DVD player doesn't play 1/2 of the DVD's out there, the rear wiper stripped and now the rear seat belts detach when I tension the seat belt when installing child seats. I use the UAS instead and am going to install a new one to see if it is any better. Other than that the car has been pretty good, good combination of power and mileage.