Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

WHO KNEW?
By rogerw5

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Been driving a Nissan for a while; went to a dealer to check out used Nissans. Walking through the used lot I spotted a 2005 Malibu Maxx; another customer behind me told me "best damn car GM ever produced". Took a test drive and bought it without hesitation...that was 7 years ago. Had the tranny rebuilt...only major fix in 7 years!! Getting ready to buy one for my granddaughter (college student)...she wanted mine...I gave her driving lessons and she also took her driving test in my Maxx. I just went over 133,000 miles! I want to be buried in it!

Favorite Features

Smooth ride...the suspension is without question the best ride I've had in any GM car, including my Cadillac CTS!

Suggested Improvements

None...the car was built with comfort and reliability in mind! All of the minor maintenance I do myself...so simple...for some reasons, other motorist don't like my Maxx...I've been hit 4 different times...major hits...but my Maxx is still rolling!

Good Value Car
By aramf

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this one used at 60K miles. I currently have 120K on it. Chevrolet replaced the steering wheel on it. The left blinker burned out too often, untill I replaced the whole light from partstrain.com. Over the last 3 years mpg has been suffering. Recently two oxygen sensor went bad. Replaced both. The average mileage went back to 32 mpg from 24 mpg. I assume that both have to fail before check engine goes on. My front rotors tend to warp a lot. One thing that helps is not to use parking breaks. But I can got fast around the corners, it has a kicking accelaration and mpg has just improved. It is a nice semi-wagon with a strong enough engine for fun things.

Favorite Features

Love the extra storage in the back for putting stuff and enough power to pull an 8 foot trailer full of topsoil. I use it as a commuter during the week, and a truck (when I haul a trailer behind) on weekend. WIth 3.5 v6 I get plenty of pulling power. I can also fit 5 people inside, which is great.

Suggested Improvements

Cd player does not work. The rear mirrors do not work. The lock/unlock does not work. But hey I am getting >30 mpg on freeway, and with the car paid off, I am fairly happy.

100K and Beyond
By bobd10

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my "05 Maxx with 52k on the meter. I now have 105k. Got hit twice, both side swipes at the front end (1 on each side). Hasn't given me any major problems. Just chenged the plugs, was easy. Put in irridiums, seems like it has better response at high speed acceleration now. Only 2 gripes...the front turn signals melting and the CD player not accepting discs on the first try. Otherwise, great car.

Favorite Features

Adjustable rear seats, power when you need it, gas mileage, roomy, no major blind spots.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the melting turn signal lens, better quality CD stereo system.

Happy Birthday, Baby
By medinamalibu

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Maxx just turned six years old with 61k on the dial. I feel like I'm spoiling it with new tires so soon after replacing the battery, front brake rotors, and front ball joints. The DIC threw a "Power Steering" message the day the battery lost its cranking power, but not since. At five years, the driver's seat developed an amazing squeak, so I learned how to remove the seat and grease the mounts. I deemed one rear skylight shade a loss after a $130+ estimate for replacement, which I indirectly referenced in my three-year update. The Maxx is comfortable and maneuverable, and hasn't given me much of any trouble outside of wear items. Some of them are annoying, and some are rather expensive.

Favorite Features

I've listed them before, but feeling negative today.

Suggested Improvements

Electrical: *Stereo head unit and speakers should be better tuned to the vehicle. *"Check Gas Cap" message would be less annoying if it only appeared when I didn't properly fasten the gas cap. *Owner's manual should specify correct replacement lamps: front turn signal sockets overheat when standard lamps are installed. Interior: *Fold-flat rear seats would be an improvement. *Skylight and shades were a nice idea, but the execution was clumsy. Delete or re-imagine. Exterior: *Keyed entry to the front passenger door and hatch. There aren't any child door locks, are there? *Front right ball-joint should not require disconnection of exhaust pipe for removal of engine mount to remove LCA.

Aging well
By cs

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Update as I approach 90,000 miles-- probably the best car I've owned (out of 30+). Had the infamous steering shaft replaced shortly after warranty expiration, and it looked like it might fail again last year, but it must have healed itself. Other than that, it's been reliable and an extremely comfortable, flexible car. Took me several months to get used to electric steering, but once you get used to it, it's fine.

Favorite Features

The hatch (Chevy steered away from calling it that, but I like the idea of a midsized car with a hatch), I certainly hope they bring the Cruze hatch to America. Ancient OHV engine delivers good mileage for six, and was quieter than some would think given its design.

Suggested Improvements

Obviously the next car I buy will have some way to input through jacks and USB ports-- but that's why 2005 isn't 2011. The interior was not up to modern standards but pleasant to use. Seats are durable but with ugly fabric. The front clip for this gen. Malibu was ungainly.