2006 Chevrolet HHR LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chevrolet Hhr - Consumer Reviews

2006 HHR Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific HHR model:

Sort Reviews by

Downside to Chevy HHR
By tammy

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my car and fell in love with the car. We drove it to Myrtle Beach on vacation and on return I had to invest $450 in new brakes and rotors. The car is only a little over a year old and is already rusting in some places. The Chevy emblem is chipping. I have 40,200 miles on my car and then had to replace wheel bearings. If you are buying the car for gas mileage, this is the car for you! If you are looking for durability- you may want to consider something other than the Chevy HHR.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Longer warranty. Better brake sytems. Better quality.

Wish it was better built
By John

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. I wish Chevy had put a little bit more Chevy heart and soul. This could have been the best light truck/full sized sedan car ever made. My two biggest complaints are the fact that whenever it rains the car leaks on the floorboard If you own one keep an eye on this. The other thing is the fabric they used for the for the seats. Don't let a drip of water touch, it will stain.

Favorite Features

Over all the car is great. Chevy just should have paid more attention to details

Suggested Improvements

Total quality

Talk it up!
By stewart savage

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my HHR in May `06. I am pleased with the overall reliability and performance of the car so far. We took a trip on mother Day weekend. Leaving metro Detroit, we didn`t refuel until we were in Louisville, Ky. Love It!

Favorite Features

Satellite radio, heated seats, sound system

Suggested Improvements

Remote release for rear hatch and a cargo area light activated when rear hatch is opened. 5 or 6 speed trans.

HHR is the bestest car in life
By HHR06

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I highly recommend HHR for good gas mileage and room for vacation get away. Great for road trips & long distance work. Way much better in snow than Chevy S-10 trucks. I will trade in for another HHR annually if I was a high roller!

Favorite Features

Plenty of room for roadtrip. Love the look.

Suggested Improvements

More room in leg area for tall people. Longer. Seat could use movement backwards and forwards a little better. Higher roof for better visability of Stop lights. Have to lean forward or don't pull up to light too close.

Wayne's HHR
By 2G1WT58K069210822

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I are retired and bought our HHR for the fun of it. We liked the style and compfort right off. We have the 2LT model with all options except OnStar, we miss this option. I am looking froward to the new SS model or what ever they may call it, to come out. We will most certainly be looking.

Favorite Features

All features of the car is our favorite, with one or two exception listed below.

Suggested Improvements

Car should have a large console for storage as well as more handy cup holders. It should offer OnStar as standard and not an option.

HHR Review
By Phil

2006 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've driven this car for over 3 months now. I love it! Just what I wanted. The only two setbacks I see is that it really is small for a five passenger car. And man I wish this was a 4x4. Other than that I love it.

Favorite Features

I love the look. The reason I had to buy this car. However with the big gas crunch going on I am really loving my 25 MPH in town. In an SUV? Oh yeah! I also love the ease in which the back seats fold down to make more room for my music gear, camping gear, etc

Suggested Improvements

Crank up the stereo for CD's just a bit. Make this in a real SUV format with 4 wheel drive and some more towing cabability. Then widen the back seats a bit and you would have the perfect SUV with the current gas mileage.

Love most of my car
By Janet5952

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car cause I loved the style. My 2006 had only 8,032 miles on it when I bought it. It now has a little over 10,000 miles on it. I do not like where the window controls are or the cup holders but other than that it is great. The car is not for a big person my son and husband are both 6 ft and say it is to small for them leg and head room. It is just fine for me!

Favorite Features

I love the retro style look.

Suggested Improvements

I do not like the battery in the back a pain to get to. Window controls should be on the door.

My Fun for the Sun ride
By Ray

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven from Ohio to Florida 3x and counting. With 64,000 miles the HHR is still going strong. Avg.29gpm it is easy on the wallet and the lumbar support makes the long drives a pleasure. I was disapointed just after I bought mine they lowered the price and added the 100000 warrenty,just my luck. The 2.4 175hp motor climbs the WVA hills easy. I did have a problem with the front stabelizer bar at 32,000 miles,just after the warrenty ran out but it was a cheap repair. The brakes going down hill at speed pulsate and I had 2 tires break their belts(not Chevys problem) I love this little car and thought about trading it in on a new one with the warrenty but don't want to give mine up.

Favorite Features

Body style, the motor, gas mileage, stereo the fold down seats for hauling. The sport suspension, responsive and fun.

Suggested Improvements

Weak front window motors,windows freeze up in the window rubber and wont open. Brakes need improved. rear hatch doors all crease by the handle. Need to reinforce this area. The 2006 did not offer many interior choices. Better braking system

Stellamobile
By Ste77a

2006 Chevrolet HHR LT 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The car itself is a pleasure to drive. I have always been a Chevy girl, all V8. This is the first 4cyl car I have owned and let me tell you, it has gusto, of course not as much as a Silverado or a 69 Malibu, however, it serves its purpose, especially with fuel prices. This is my second one, first one went into repair shop becuase I could not get it out of park, needless to say, they were not able to fix it, after 3 months, so the lemon law applied and I was able to get a new one without a problem. Why? you ask, because i loved the car so much. My current car has not had any major problems with the exception of some radio stations not coming in clear, other than that, I'm satisfied!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, electric start, lots of storage room with or without seats folded down.

Suggested Improvements

Blindspots in front windshield a problem

Awesome HHR with Nitto Tires
By gkarr1

2006 Chevrolet HHR LS 4dr Wagon (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car was absolutely the best car I have ever owned. I could not believe the value packed into this car. There is no one out there that can go head to head with the HHR on price, performance, you name it. I sold it recently to buy a Chrysler Crossfire, to be honest I wish I had my HHR back. Don't get me wrong the Crossfire is awesome, but with the 18" rims and 40 series Nittos that HHR handled as well as any car I have ever driven. I honestly can't say much of anything negative except they need more cup holders for the driver. I had the 175hp version of the 4cyl. engine. I think back, my 1984 Mustang GT had 175hp. I have to laugh now looking back. I want the SS!

Favorite Features

Performance, styling, creature features, value, colors

Suggested Improvements

More cup holders, and wheel size and styling selection. I had 18" on mine with 40's with no rub or anything.