2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cruze model:
Great Little Car
By flrfselscrs on 03/24/14 06:03 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I bought my Cruze new in August 2011 and have driven it 53,000 miles. So far there have been no maintenance issues. I've only had to change the oil every 7000 miles or so, and replace the tires, which are inexpensive. In addition to costing me very little, the car's performance meets my needs. On the highway, I get 32-37 MPG, but my overall average is 27.5. It has performed admirably in all weather conditions (including heavy snow with a set of winter tires) and even on an autocross course. The car's tiny turbo is a must for me; it's not terrifying to accelerate onto the highway in a Cruze like it has been in other small cars I've driven. Overall, I love this little car.

70000 miles+ Average car
By stcornish on 02/21/14 09:25 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I have a 2011 Cruze with 1.8L engine with automatic transmission. I have had the car in for I major issue. The transmission housing broke. Chevy replaced it under warranty. The dealer said it was something they never seen before. The good is the car is quiet and the ride is comfortable. I am needing new tires so 70000 miles is good. Also I got 3 years of oil changes in the deal so I so far have no out of pocket expenses. The bad is the fuel mileage of 27.8 ave. I was hoping for 30+. The ugly is the transmission program. It alway is going to the highest gear as fast as possible. There is a three second delay for down shifting as it finds the right gear which almost got hit.

My third & final review
By tat1739 on 02/04/14 07:00 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I now am looking forward to selling my Cruze. Tomorrow I will be back in the garage for a third transmission leak issue. In addition to a water pump recall and an additional leak, and a radiator leak, and a recall on brakes, and a loose motor mount, I am officially done with this car. I remain satisfied with the interior, but feel that the exterior is looking 'dated' with new car styles coming out. It does still get 40 mpg, when I drive on cruise, within the speed limit, on flat hwys and without cargo or passengers. Otherwise, expect 27-32 mpg. As a former Civic owner of 10 years without even one single issue, the car does not impress.

After two years with Cruze LTZ
By tat1739 on 05/08/13 08:51 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

To follow up with my initial review of the Cruz and my experience, I submit this information. I have been in my car for over 2 years (original owner). Gas mileage is inconsistent - tends to be near the lower end of manufacture claims. Expect 25 in city/32 highway. Advertised 40 is possible, if alone, on cruise, no cargo, and going speed limit. Problems: at 28K miles, I am dealing with a leaky transmission, leaky water pump and radiator. I now have doubts over the quality & reliability. My experience with car ownership has always been: once you start putting money into the car, you keep putting money in the car. Is this going to be my destiny??

My Cruze experience
By ctryan1 on 04/22/13 16:55 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 2LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I recently purchased a used Chevy Cruze. A friend had purchased one brand new a few weeks earlier and he said he loved it. Well I am feeling the same way about ours. We purchased a used 2011 2LT with leather and it is great. Rides nice, feels solid and gets great gas mileage.

Not Impressed
By sepilyons on 04/04/13 10:13 AM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 2LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I thought I had spent pleanty of time researching vehicles before purchasing (1 year) apparently not. Bought the car in Aug 2012 with about 20K miles on it, there are now about 34K on it, and I'm now beggining to notice strange noises. When the car is turned on and not moving the hood seems to vibrate very loud, and after about 10 min of running it sounds like it's going to die. Also there is now a thump type noise under my feet similar to a ball rolling around when I break or accelerate. I know all cars have issues but I guess I didn't expect problems in under a year or ownership. Now I'm stuck in a car for the next 6 years that I'm not 100% happy with! Kinda sucks!

Liked it for 1st year
By mnflyer on 03/19/13 13:42 PM (PDT)

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 6M)

I enjoyed my Cruze for the 1st year and a half, even though it had it's fair share of issues covered by warranty. It handled well enough and I felt it was a good value. In 2 years I put on 43K miles mostly commuting on the highway. During the warranty period, I had 2 cases of "check engine" light on which were caused by faulty sensors. Also I had a steering issue whereby the steering would slightly stick at highway speeds. It often had a strange groaning sound from the engine. Biggest problem. "AC off due to engine overheat" It took 5 trips to the dealer to fix it. I wanted a car I could drive trouble free for many years and realized this wasn't it. I traded it in for a Hyundai.

2011 1LT Cruze is a GREAT Little Car
By dwalsh2 on 03/05/13 06:32 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I have now had this car for just over two years and almost 21K miles. I have never had a car that I enjoyed as much. When I first purchased it, there were lots of little "back to the dealer" fixes, but they were all corrected. I am pleased with the mpg, though I know foreign cars of similar size typically get better. I drive a combination of city and highway and typically get about 29 to 29 mpg. I do not feel like I am driving a small car. Recently, I had a rear-ender in which the other driver slammed into me at a pretty good clip. The trunk lid was damaged and the bumper was, but it wasn't very obvious. I was able to drive away, while the other driver was not.

Like the cruze, hate the MPG
By easyep on 01/26/13 10:05 AM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

I traded in an impala for the advertised gas mileage of the cruze, I took it on a road trip to Myrtle Beach SC and averaged 31 mpg, the impala averaged 32 on the same trip on the open road. I contacted GM a number of times and was old there was nothing that could be done, took it in to a local dealership, the computer scan was normal, tried to get GM to trade it back in for another impala, no luck on that either, during this time my wife bought a new nissan versa because she drives around 150 miles per day the versa averages 38 MPG on te open road and if you use cruise control it will average 42/43 MPG. I feel GM pulled the wool over everyones eyes with the MPG on the cruze

More than meets mediocre expectations
By jackstraw93 on 12/30/12 18:52 PM (PST)

2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan 1LT 4dr Sedan (1.4L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

The most common complaint everybody has is that there is a problem with the transmission. After test driving dozens of cars in this class and finally buying this one I can say the computer operated transmission is STRANGE but youll have the same problems on all other cars with the ctv transmission. That being said I so far love the car. It is very comfortable in the front seats, and for the price crams alot more technology into it than any other car ive seen in its class. Very quite ride, very smooth ride, and while it's not "Fun" to drive, (I do miss my truck with it's RWD and tire smoking fun) its VERY plesent, very quiet, very very smooth, great on gas if you aren't driving like an idiot

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan in VA is:

$137 per month*