2009 Chevrolet Cobalt - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cobalt model:
DRIVERS BEWARE!
By vlk on 06/28/12 22:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Driving on I-10 on a clear morning, going at 70 mph, not sleepy, not distracted... the 2009 Chevy Cobalt I was driving started to swerve uncontrollably, then went off to the grassy embankment & rolled on its side at least twice. It finally landed on its passenger side against some small trees. The front wheel broke off along with its axle. The airbags did not deplore. Miraculously no one was seriously hurt! I was lucky, but no telling how the next accident of this sort will end up. GM is totally unresponsive & denies any responsibility. Something had to be wrong with the vehicle! There was just no other explanation. This is not about law suits. It is about consumer safety! BEWARE

Good car for a good price
By s1l3nt_1nc on 03/03/12 13:26 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

A good relieable fun to drive car for a good price. However I have run into some minor cosmetic issues. I have a Automatic LT model and the red light that shows you what gear you are in is stuck. The plastic clip that you press to change gears broke off and my trunk light no longer works. However it runs great and is fun to drive. Gas mileage is OK but could be better. Overall good for the price. One more bit of advice. Get a spare key! If your battery dies and you try to start the car your key will be stuck in the ignition until you can jump the battery. There is a way to manually get the key out but you would have to get into the steering colum to press a tiny button which is hard to see.

2009 cobalt 1LT 4dr sedan
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I needed something w/ good factory warrany backing and GM has that covered, so when I chose this car I felt good- affordable, good pick up on highway and around town, about 1,200 miles a month. Little sluggish going up grades in regular drive gear though, but the good gas mileage makes up the difference. Nice stereo. quiet ride, good in snow.(live in Cleve. ohio) I Plan to drive this for a long time. I'm very happy overall.

2009 beige cobalt
By christine Parker on 08/15/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Fun to drive, 30000 miles, mechanical problems, turn signal wouldn't shut off, now "something " is draining the battery, in shop for diagnosis. could not locate fob for above mentioned car

Great car
By Lisa on 07/30/10 13:23 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car with low expectations, but it was a good deal. Turns out this little car is awesome. I won't be trading up anytime soon. It's perfect.

Great littel gas saver
By Lisa on 07/28/10 12:57 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought my Cobalt with 35,000 miles. I'm already impressed. I drive quite a bit and this car can drive forever on one tank of gas. I love the exterior.

2009 Chevy Cobalt LT
By Thomas on 04/22/10 20:55 PM (PDT)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car to replace my 02 VW Passat because it was starting to cost me anywhere from $1000 to $2000 every other month in repairs. The Cobalt reminds me of a cross between Toyota Corolla and a Toyota Yaris without the dorky exterior of a Yaris. It drives fairly well and has zero blind spots.

dissatisfied
By robert minnie on 02/22/10 04:25 AM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

l purchased this cobalt last august and have not been happy with it, very poor gas mileage, rated for 48 and l get no more than 25/26, back seat leg room is real small, l feel embarrassed to take anyone with me, other than these little annoyances the car is ok, wouldn't buy another one

crossing my fingers
By Bob on 02/18/10 20:11 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I like the looks, the gas mileage and the price was affordable. A wheel cap fell off at 10K and at 19K miles, the steering column is being replaced for the second time! Each time for a different noise. I bought this car new, thinking I wouldn't have to worry about car repairs for awhile. I am now second guessing how much it will cost in repairs once the warranty is up.

I am very sad.
By John on 11/22/09 12:22 PM (PST)

2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2009 Cobalt LT sedan two weeks ago. It is beautiful Sport Red Tint with Grey interior. After putting just 149 miles on it, the electric steering started making a death wail each time I turned a corner. The car now sits at the dealership. When they hooked up the diagnostic computer to it, TWENTY possible error codes came back. Fortunately, my salesman is letting me select another car, which is a shame, because I really liked that one. The 2009 rental Cobalt I am in drives perfectly with 31,000 miles on it. Maybe I just lucked out in getting the lemon?

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt in VA is:

$137 per month*