The Value Mobile
By sbe79 on
2003 Chevrolet Cavalier 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)
Purchased in 2/2013 with a mere 38K on it. Had been garaged constantly and rarely driven in inclement weather. Basically, it was nearly mint. All in all, the car feels extremely cheap. It does not feel or drive like a 2003 of any type, it feels much older. It is a true budget mobile that offers no thrills or extras -- it's a wonder these ever sold at all up against the competitively priced Civic or Corolla. My wife drives it as an errand runner -- and she runs a lot of errands. It has so far proven it's dependability. Even though it feels like I could karate chop most of the interior, I think I could drive it at least part way across the US without issue.
Favorite Features
Favorite feature? The remarkable way that something that feels like it could fall apart in your hands holds together so firmly. Our car has had none of the problems this model year is famous for (faulty instrument cluster, fuel pump failure, temperature control failure) *knock on wood*. Keep in mind we have the base model whose features like crank windows and manual mirrors leave little room for a "wow" factor. It's dependable and likely on the inexpensive side to repair.
Suggested Improvements
#1. We have 2 toddlers we tote around. For some reason when their carseats are strapped in, they will without fail fall sideways in the back seat. This does not happen in my car or the car this one replaced. Is it the quality of the seatbelts or the layout of the backseat in general? #2. When switching from regular vent to defrost, the dial has very obvious resistance. I have heard a lot of complaints of snapped cables inside because of aggressive switching. You have to be conscious and extremely easy on this control.