Used 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:

A great car.
By nollocs

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car brand new in 2003. I love it. I have had a few problems. But nothing big. The gauge cluster acts up some times and will not work. I had a rod that was bent in the AC unit, but that was fixed under warranty. It has 87,000 mile now. This last tank of gas I got just over 34 mpg in mixed driving. But I usually average 30-31mpg in mixed driving. It has plenty of power for a cheap car.

The power, mpg, reliability.

Move the cup holders.

Basic yet under-rated
By cailean

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I've got over 90,000 km on my car and it's still going strong - the only problem I had was with the cooling system just a month after I first bought it, and it hasn't been an issue since. It's far from being the fanciest car out there, but there's a lot more to it than people realize. Surprisingly sporty, excellent mileage for it's age, and a surprisingly large amount of cargo space - I once loaded three large book cases from Ikea with room to spare. I bought this car straight out of university when money was pretty tight. My money situation has improved, so I probably wouldn't buy it again, but would more than recommend it if you're needing to pinch some pennies.

Acceleration with a light load, fuel economy, starts in any weather (including a day of -30 without the block heater being plugged in)

Gets weighed down easily, interior materials are very poor quality, seats are uncomfortable for drives longer than an hour or so

Cheap reliable transportation
By AP_From PA

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this in 2004 with about 9600 miles on it, no problems, except for a fuel pump that I had to replace. I got it for about 7K and I drove it over 70K miles. I can't ask for a better deal. Even today it has a decent re-sale value (about 3.5K easily). I do most regular maintenance myself and this car has been running like a champ. Fuel economy has been good too, in 2004 I got about 31 mpg combined, I still get about 28-29 mpg combined... even after increase in ethanol in fuel. If style is not your primary concern, and transportation is the only thing you care about then this is a good value.

Cheap and works like a champ with decent fuel economy.

Parking brake and Transmission shift lever are too close to each-other and need re-designed.

Good all around small car
By Bill Spond

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Great gas mileage, 29-30 MPG on the interstate. I have had one wreck skidding backwards into a guardrail at about 50 mph and very little damage to the car. Very well built.

Gas mileage, easy to park, plenty of spunk when passing another car. Nice size trunk for a small car.

The cup holders need to be moved back and made bigger.

Junk
By DaddyHines

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Cavalier brand new in 2003. In October of 2008 I had to replace the engine because my oil pump was not working. None of the dashboard lights lit up or anything. It just died one day. My Cavalier has less than 75000 miles and got oil changes regularly. The mechanic says it was a manufacturer defect but of course, Chevy offers no help. My heat only comes out the passenger side vent and my rear defroster stopped working like a year after I had the car. Other than that, it's great.

Air conditioning cools fast and the gas mileage is fantastic. Drives great in the snow which is good for Pennsylvania

Cheap engine and lots of small problems, maybe Chevy should put my quality into making their vehicles and stop worrying about how to scam people out of their money.