2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cavalier model:
dont buy ever
By dontbuythiscar on 01/13/14 16:23 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2008 and had it for 7 years put to much into the car to say always a problem with something just an all around bad car

Awesome Car!
By jones_rob on 02/10/12 20:22 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my '01 Cavalier for three years. It had 65,000 miles on it when I purchased it. Now I have around 95,500 miles, with absolutely no problems! Still running on original battery! Replaced brakes at 70,000 miles and still have 1/2 pads left. My only complaint is that the dash cracks something crazy. It had one big crack in the center, which I covered with a stuffed animal, but now there are 6+ cracks on the dash. Chevy says it's "common" for this car. My previous car was a '97 Cavalier LS Sedan, that car was great until it hit 165,000 miles, then everything started to go. Hopefully I can get this one up to that!

Some flaws, but still a great first car!
By lexxibaby on 01/01/12 11:30 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost 2 years ago, it had about 82K on it. Now I'm at about 112K. The head gasket was broken when I bought it but I got that fixed at the dealer. 3 months later, my alternator broke, but that didn't take much! And I have had a few brake problems, but I love the drive and I got in a car accident a few days ago and nothing was severely ruined! Only my radiator and headlight, and small bend on the hood. Although I have metal bumpers, definitely don't get the plastic ones because that's what saved my car! There was a fuel pump problem, but that I only happened when I ran out of gas completely. Sounds like a lot, but I did go to the junk yard to get to parts so it was cheap!

wish I could drive it
By crank_shaft23 on 06/28/11 18:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I like cavaliers and its ran in my family some lasted forever or up intill it got totaled, so I bought my first cavalier, a 01 coup with a 2.2 automatic. drove it home 60 miles drove it to the store and back about 50 miles drove it to the dmv 25. Damn overheated and blew a head gasket didn't even have it for 3 days yet and blew the head gasket. other then that it was fun when it wasn't broken.

Good Car For Teen
By 631rob1991 on 03/06/11 21:51 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had the Z24 model which had good power. For it's price it was great. Interior os too small with very little space in the back seat and trunk. If you're over 6'2" no way to drive as the roof is very low. Stylish.

Great Car!
By brantm21 on 01/12/11 10:02 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe Z24 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car new in 2001. Great, Great car. It is one of the most reliable vehicles I've ever drove. It now has 145,000 miles on it, and still strong. The good: They dont make great cars like this anymore; Drives and rides great; Great fuel economy 33HW 29C; The Bad: Cheap Interior; Bad for ball joints, but easy fix; Other than that fantastic car and very reliable. I use this car for everything. Long trips, back and forth to work, grocery getter. If you looking for something cheap and fun this is the car for you.

Nice car for little money!
By SweetMikki on 09/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car for my teenage son when he turned 16 & the car was 7 years old with 120,000 miles on it. Hes driven it all through high school & part of college & the car has been nothing but great to him! The ONLY thing this car has needed were normal maintenance such as brakes,tires,oil changes. The fuel economy isn't the best for a car of its size. Gets around 23 in the city & 29 hwy & thats a stick shift. Its very comfortable but the interior is cheaply made & things are starting to fall apart but it is 10 years old after all!

Awesome car!
By AWESOM CAR!!! on 07/28/10 10:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this used car at 180,000 km and it is in perfect condition, love the 4 spd automatic, great gas mileage lots of fun to drive very reliable and love the design. regular oil changes and maintenance this car has never skipped a beat. With original everything this 9 yr old car shifts smoothly and drives great. I would recommend buying a cavalier over the competitors.

Don't do it
By Cassie on 07/05/10 20:21 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I owned one of these until the transmission died while I was going down the highway at 60 mph. The transmission had never been good, the car had also had a problem with the starter. When it was new it was in the shop every other week getting another problem fixed. It is cheaply built. While the engine did make it to 170k, it didn't do so reliably. If all of Chevy's new cars are built like this Cavalier was, I won't ever buy Chevy cars again.

Would not buy one AGAIN!!
By Ed on 12/25/09 01:36 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Cavalier Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Have had the power windows go out (both) twice. Once, while still in warranty. The dash is cracked in several places. Light on floor console has been out for 2 years now. I NEVER had this happen on ANY cras I've ever had before!! Newest car I've had. Nice sound system, ride, remote entry.