2009 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific X5 model:
People mover with class and performance
By cnaps on 09/28/13 18:59 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I must say the BMW x5 3.0 is x-drive is a joy to drive its not a m5 but it's perfect for everyday use. The cabin is very comfortable and build quality and materials are of the highest quality the brakes are very good and drives very tight. It gives you the room you need to move the family around with out losing performance and style. Build quality and reliability is as good as it gets.

Disappointed
By cruzian on 03/16/12 18:48 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

It seemed promising at first, but after a few months I'm done with it. There are more rattles than an old Volvo, the 3.0 is weak, iDrive is useless, the run flats are crazy expensive and have NO traction in snow, and it rides worse than my F-150 4X4. Actually, my F-150 is built better, more dependable, has equal handling and performance, and gets about the same gas mileage. Now the evaporator is leaking freon. Maybe this 3rd trip in the dealer can resolve these issues.

Fed up of inconsistent diagnostics
By faizal ali on 10/19/09 19:01 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My BMW is under 6 months old with less than 4000 miles and has been back to the dealer for the same problem. It has an annoying vibrating sound from the engine. The dealer changed the power steering pump and problem still exists; now I am told it might be an engine mount. I would like to return this truck because I am fed up of the inconsistency of what a new car should have. I should have kept my infinti qx4.

Mixed Thoughts
By PhillyDude on 09/10/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The car drives and handles great. From a pure driving perspective, it is probably the best SUV I have ever had. However, it has some serious flaws in the interior. The navigation system is terrible and almost impossible to use. The all in one computer system for using most features in the car is also not easy to use. Something simple like changing the air from your head to your feet takes way too many steps to do. The car just feels over engineered. Also, don't believe the maintenance is included sales pitch. I just got my 10,000 mile done and all it covered was an oil change and not rotating and balancing the tires.

Great for long drives
By FLBMWDriver on 09/06/09 20:22 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I just picked up my brand new X5 last month and I am very impressed with it so far. I drive 100+ miles per day so a comfortable ride is very important to me. I had my X5 built and I chose the ventilated seat package which was well worth it. The seats adjust in so many ways and the massage feature for the driver is great! My black sapphire X5 turns heads when its clean and the interior is impressive with the brushed aluminum trim giving it a sporty look. The driving position is great and the car is pretty quiet at 70-80mph on the highway. Also, the premium sound system upgrade sounds great and I also like the iPod interface. I would highly recommend this SUV.

Mixed feelings
By Matthew on 07/24/09 22:14 PM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This is my first SUV, or should I say SAV... what got my attention at the dealership was the exterior styling of this vehicle. Also, having never owned a spacious and roomy vehicle, I thought it was time for a change. What I love about my new X5 is the driving position because you sit up very high and the car has very good visibility all around. I also love the panoramic sunroof. I am not sure how I feel about the leatherette seats... they feel kind of rubbery although they seem very durable. I must say the seats are extremely supportive on long trips and adjust in many ways. I feel BMW should try to improve fuel economy in the gasoline engines as I did not want a diesel.

Vermillion Red-Liner
By AIA on 06/10/09 05:14 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Bought a 09 Vermillion Red X5. These are rare and had to be custom ordered. I have owned X5's in the past and this is a great vehicle. It is fun to drive and handles great like a true BMW even though it's a heavy vehicle. It has all the options imaginable. Gas mileage is great for such a beast.

Is this a SUV?
By Spirited SUV on 05/11/09 09:36 AM (PDT)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I traded my Mercedes GL450 because we wanted something slightly smaller, but not give up the utility, and luxury-comfort. The X5 hits that mark perfectly. It has sporty handling but is still luxurious and quiet. Gets 20 MPG which is great in my book. I'm 6'4" and 300 lbs and am super comfortable in it, and... my kids have room in the second seats!

It's not a 330i but...
By PNC on 01/25/09 17:46 PM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

Went from a 2001 BMW X5 to a BMW 330i and now back to a 2009 X5. Needed the X5 to pull a boat, which it does with ease. The 2009 is much improved over the 2001 in terms of build quality. The 2001 X5 did have mechanical issues. I do miss the handling of the 330i but for a SUV, the 2009 X5 is as close as it gets!

Nothing Better
By Fleas on 01/25/09 07:23 AM (PST)

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I typically do not drive much. However, this X5 really makes you want to go out there and just ride. Everything about it is satisfying. The color I got was dark blue (monaco) with the saddle brown leather and it is just amazing. After tinting the windows I plan on putting the new BMW 21" 215 wheels in ferric grey! Amazing.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.