Used 2009 BMW X5 xDrive30i SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Quality issues ?
By cwe6279

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

This car was great the first 3 years I owned it. Year 4, 5 were more troublesome and 5+ downright maddening. Since the Warranty expired, had to replace the following at about $5000-7000 per year average cost: - IBS sensors and cables (twice) - Alternator - batteries/brakes (only normal wear and tear repair I have had to make) - Catalytic converter it only has 30k miles on it! Aside from the issues above, the service I received was really disappointing (but maybe it's just my area). I heard from various sources there was a lot of local turnover and some challenges in the dealer/manufacturer relationship and that was certainly reflected in the service levels I experienced.

Favorite Features

was fun to drive when not taking it to the dealership for repair.

Suggested Improvements

Software and user interface is not at all intuitive. Xdrive interface is awful. Quality and Dealer Service I experienced were nowhere near the level of Mercedes.

People mover with class and performance
By cnaps

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I must say the BMW x5 3.0 is x-drive is a joy to drive its not a m5 but it's perfect for everyday use. The cabin is very comfortable and build quality and materials are of the highest quality the brakes are very good and drives very tight. It gives you the room you need to move the family around with out losing performance and style. Build quality and reliability is as good as it gets.

Favorite Features

performance , well balanced engine , build quality

Suggested Improvements

I DRIVE made more user friendly

Disappointed
By cruzian

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

It seemed promising at first, but after a few months I'm done with it. There are more rattles than an old Volvo, the 3.0 is weak, iDrive is useless, the run flats are crazy expensive and have NO traction in snow, and it rides worse than my F-150 4X4. Actually, my F-150 is built better, more dependable, has equal handling and performance, and gets about the same gas mileage. Now the evaporator is leaking freon. Maybe this 3rd trip in the dealer can resolve these issues.

Favorite Features

Styling inside and out, and the engine sounds great if you can hear it over the rattles.

Suggested Improvements

Build it in Germany, by Germans. By the plastic from Ford; theirs does not creak and rattle. Recall all of the 3.0 engines and equip them with turbochargers. Cancel Exide's contract and return to the previous battery manufacturer. I could go on...

Fed up of inconsistent diagnostics
By faizal ali

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My BMW is under 6 months old with less than 4000 miles and has been back to the dealer for the same problem. It has an annoying vibrating sound from the engine. The dealer changed the power steering pump and problem still exists; now I am told it might be an engine mount. I would like to return this truck because I am fed up of the inconsistency of what a new car should have. I should have kept my infinti qx4.

Mixed Thoughts
By PhillyDude

2009 BMW X5 SUV xDrive30i 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

The car drives and handles great. From a pure driving perspective, it is probably the best SUV I have ever had. However, it has some serious flaws in the interior. The navigation system is terrible and almost impossible to use. The all in one computer system for using most features in the car is also not easy to use. Something simple like changing the air from your head to your feet takes way too many steps to do. The car just feels over engineered. Also, don't believe the maintenance is included sales pitch. I just got my 10,000 mile done and all it covered was an oil change and not rotating and balancing the tires.

Favorite Features

Acceleration and driving performance. Luxury feel for long drives.

Suggested Improvements

Scrap the whole computer console and start from scratch. Redo the navigation system to at least match those you can buy over the counter. Go buy an Acura and see how they do it to get an idea of how to do it right.