Used 2008 BMW X5 SUV Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 BMW X5 SUV - Consumer Reviews

2008 BMW X5 SUV

View reviews for a specific X5 model:

Better have deep pockets and patience.
By Matthew eichmann

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

My 2008 X5 3.0 is a love hate relationship. One of my absolute favorite cars...the styling is amazing, the interior is simple but extremely well built. Power is smooth from the inline 6 engine, and the handling is like a sports car.

But.....the least reliable car I have ever owned, by a long shot. Bought the car new, and at 90,000 miles I've had

...Radiator replaced
...coolant expansion tank
...valve cover gasket, twice!
...I drive controller
...water pump
...various gaskets that always amount to $1k each in labor
...Hydraulic sway bar ($2k just for the part alone)
...Valve cover
...Vanos solenoids

Even after all that, I still enjoyed the car and did all the repairs. Til it developed a well known flaw of the 3.0 engine. Camshaft bearing failure. Which requires 25 hrs labor and a whole new cylinder head. Minimum $5k at a independent shop. More like $7k at the dealer. Suffice it to say that ended my love affair with the X5, and I traded it in.

Great cars, but don't own one without a warranty, and better yet, another car to drive while it's in the shop. You'll need it.

worst car I've ever owned
By Lisa

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

worst car I've ever owned. I had this car for 1 year & 4 month . The 1st month I owned my car I had to fix the thermostat & water pump. Then after that month the wiper motor went. I've never been able to truly drive my car any long distance for fear of it breaking down. I've replaced the Sparks plugs and all the cylinders because the car would spit , sputter & shake. My engine light constantly comes on. Now I know why changed owners so many times. Biggest piece of crap.

What was I thinking?
By Jenny

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

One year ago I bought this car for about a year it ran wonderfully at 110,000 miles As soon as I went over the 110 Mark issues began to happen new alternator AC valve problems battery went dead just no longer felt safe in this car This is supposed to be a supreme luxury vehicle I did not expect these problems till at least 200,000 miles I'm going back to my Lexus RX thank you

2008 BMW X5 4.8i Sport
By Harrison

2008 BMW X5 SUV 4.8i 4dr SUV AWD (4.8L 8cyl 6A)

I recently bought an X5 a few months ago with 90k miles. I have put about 12k miles on it sence I've owned it. everything seems to be working just fine, I took it for an oil change 2 months after I bought it and they said it had a slight oil leak from the main seal, they said it was nothing to be too concerned with but to keep my eye on it. this is the only problem I have ran into and from what I hear all bmw's have this problem or one similar. I honestly love my x5, I've never driven an suv that puts the power down and handles like a sports car. The ride quality is really nice, almost like floating on a cloud. The interior is nice, spacious and simple, everything is at your finger tips. Cargo space isn't bad, a little smaller than a Tahoe's. The valvetronic exhaust sounds really good when put into sport mode. The 20" sport rims and tires are a MUST, 20/275 in the front and 20/315 in the rear, really makes the X5 look mean and drive like a beast, Overall I would recommend this vehicle to someone, just get the vehicle checked out before you buy it.

BEST CAR EVER OWNED
By mvorules

2008 BMW X5 SUV 3.0si 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 6A)

I don't know what everyone else is talking about. I bought this car in 2012 with about 60,000 miles on it from the BMW certified preowned dealership. I now have about 93,000 miles on the car. I have had two problems with it. The first was, something attached to the bottom of the car became loose and made a slight rattling. Took that in, was about a $300 repair. I then had the coolant holder crack and that was about a $300 repair as well. Other than that, that's it. LOVE this car!

Update: Im still madly in love with this car. I have now over 115,000 miles on it. It's going strong. But $$ is being thrown at it left and right. I've learned its in expensive car to maintain. Hopefully after about $2,000-$3,000 will keep it going for a while without visiting the BMW dealership.