2000 BMW M5 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.9L V8 6-speed Manual - (37 reviews )
The E39 M5 probably the best saloon for the $$
By nixjay5 on 04/29/14 20:04 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have owned the this car for coming up a year now. I bought the car at 111k and now have driven it to 138k closing on 140k soon. It has been a lot of miles the MPG isn't too bad when you consider the performance it offers. It goes through tires quickly. Plenty of people think that the car is newer than what it actually is. A lot of the technology is outdated and I wish I got the 01 due to the updates. But the car has been nothing but an amazing car for me. Drove it to Texas from California averaging higher speeds and drove it back without a worry. Also my driving style isnt always the smoothest or most gentle. Ive used it with a car seat and its a great family car as well.

E-39 M5
By Slysterone on 07/08/10 16:27 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Love this vehicle! Have had about 2 months, always wanted an E-39 M-5 but were 2 expensive until recently. If you own one of these cars you better hold on to it, these are going to be worth $ in a few years.

Fun Everyday
By Robert on 04/13/10 08:06 AM (PDT)

2000 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've owned my M5 for seven years and love everything about it. I originally bought it as a Sunday driver, but I soon found out how much fun this car was to drive and it's become my everyday car. This is the third BMW I have owned and is by far the best. The seats are extremely comfortable and the power and handling can only be described in one word as INCREDIBLE. 114,000 miles on the odometer and not one major problem speaks highly for the build quality of the E39 M5!

A few issues with the M5
By Craig on 01/28/10 17:36 PM (PST)

2000 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Well, I got the M5 in 2009 on a dealer trade with 160k. The car runs a drives great. A few problems for future owners to look out for. Almost All E39 M5 have vanos knock. It sounds like "rattles in a can" on start up. BMW WANTED $4000 to change the VANOS units. Next, CARBON BUILD UP is a huge issue with this car. If the previous owners did not take care of the car, there will be carbon deposits in the engine with will lead to a secondary airflow low code. Sometimes the transmission would not shift into gears easily when it was colder outside. REAR LSD was also leaking. NOTE: Trans fluid and LSD fluid is not lifetime fluid like BMW claims. CHANGE the fluids out. Also car began to smoke

Dream Car
By Peter on 05/31/09 12:10 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I always wanted one of the coveted M5 BMW cars ever since I was a kid and could read about them. I worried that I may be disappointed once I bought one with what it offered and delivered in reality. I was not let down one bit. If anything I was blown away by its power and pure joy of driving it. With its crisp 6 speed and so much power to play with, it's a pleasure to accelerate off the light or pass on the highway safely with lots of juice in reserve. The braking is outstanding as always and as expected from a BMW. The sport setting tightens up the steering and throttle response for an even more amazing driving experience. I smile every time I see it parked in the driveway.

Mmmagnificent 5
By BKA M5 DRIVER on 04/23/09 14:54 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This vehicle outshines virtually every other automakers efforts! Put another way, this is as good as it gets. Bought my M5 in 2004 with 28k miles and have enjoyed the performance, handling and build quality. This is my 3rd BMW and will only buy the M series from now on.No flash, just pure substance. The car is rock solid and the engine is bulletproof. There aren't enough superlatives to say how wonderfully delicious this iteration of the 5series is. THE BEST BMW YOU COULD OWN.

Why purchase anything else!
By Fritz on 11/20/08 11:00 AM (PST)

2000 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car has the best fuel economy of any 5 passenger family sedan I have ever driven. The documented mileage of 12/19 is bogus, mine runs 18/25 regularly over the last 2 years. The stiffness of the suspension is not liked by all, but the enjoyment of handling is superior to even the greatest retro muscle cars Detroit is pumping out today. Why waste 40K or more on poorly designed gas guzzling US auto manufacturers where it is obvious they are still 10 years behind BMW. This ride is a pure joy, especially on open highways, in unpopulated areas, with no foliage, like West Texas and Eastern New Mexico. Just a nice 4-door family sedan for grocery shopping!

The ULTIMATE Ultimate Driving Machine
By Jason on 05/14/08 23:29 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan

BMW has for years been known as "The Ultimate Driving Machine" and the M5 is without doubt "The ULTIMATE Ultimate Driving Machine!" The E39 BMW M5 is an iconic vehicle, and deservedly so. A true wolf in sheep's clothing, with a tastefully understated exterior that only hints at the vehicle's performance capabilities and BMW Motorsport bloodline. The interior is designed with equal taste and the vehicle has ample room for rear seat passengers if required. The manual six speed transmission is a joy to manipulate, and thankfully this vehicle is equipped no other way. In essence, where other vehicles are manufactured for practicality, this vehicle is made purely for enjoyment of the drive.

Worth it
By Bricktop on 04/14/08 15:34 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had the car for 2 weeks. It just absolutely blazes. The stock wheels are beautiful and the 4x exhaust tips give it a muscle car look. Understated, but it's a gorgeous car. The interior is fantastic. Leather everywhere, great seats and the Alcantra headliner is a really nice touch. I might just be driving M5s for the rest of my life.

Unequaled Luxury Rocket
By Bob on 03/21/08 21:38 PM (PDT)

2000 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I sold my E36 M3 after I bought this car. I loved the M3, but hauling a teenage daughter and her friends around, I needed a 4-door. This car not only is much faster than the M3 was, but actually handles better as well, in spite of the extra weight! Incredibly neutral and smooth. Just aim and turn, no fuss, no drama. The acceleration is not to be believed! Fantastic! The car is already a classic and I've been followed to my destination and complimented/quizzed several times by those in the know. I was lucky to find a one-owner with just under 31K on the clock. But then, I'd been looking for 6 months. You'd think it was right off the showroom floor by its condition. Absolutely love it!