Used 2000 BMW M5 Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 BMW M5 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.9L V8 6-speed Manual - (37 reviews )

The E39 M5 probably the best saloon for the $$
By nixjay5

2000 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have owned the this car for coming up a year now. I bought the car at 111k and now have driven it to 138k closing on 140k soon. It has been a lot of miles the MPG isn't too bad when you consider the performance it offers. It goes through tires quickly. Plenty of people think that the car is newer than what it actually is. A lot of the technology is outdated and I wish I got the 01 due to the updates. But the car has been nothing but an amazing car for me. Drove it to Texas from California averaging higher speeds and drove it back without a worry. Also my driving style isnt always the smoothest or most gentle. Ive used it with a car seat and its a great family car as well.

The V8 noise that it produces and its classy lines. How the trunk hinges don't take up any trunk space.

Cup holders but I know BMW has fixed that issue. Can't think of many other things.

E-39 M5
By Slysterone

2000 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Love this vehicle! Have had about 2 months, always wanted an E-39 M-5 but were 2 expensive until recently. If you own one of these cars you better hold on to it, these are going to be worth $ in a few years.

Everything! I absolutely love everything about his car, interior, exterior, motor, everything!

Cars are known to have issues with carbon build up in the motors, make sure you scan it and ensure it will pass emissions in your state. Maintenance is very expensive, you better know how to turn a wrench!

Fun Everyday
By Robert

2000 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've owned my M5 for seven years and love everything about it. I originally bought it as a Sunday driver, but I soon found out how much fun this car was to drive and it's become my everyday car. This is the third BMW I have owned and is by far the best. The seats are extremely comfortable and the power and handling can only be described in one word as INCREDIBLE. 114,000 miles on the odometer and not one major problem speaks highly for the build quality of the E39 M5!

Handling, power, smooth shifting 6 speed manual, and comfort

A few issues with the M5
By Craig

2000 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan

Well, I got the M5 in 2009 on a dealer trade with 160k. The car runs a drives great. A few problems for future owners to look out for. Almost All E39 M5 have vanos knock. It sounds like "rattles in a can" on start up. BMW WANTED $4000 to change the VANOS units. Next, CARBON BUILD UP is a huge issue with this car. If the previous owners did not take care of the car, there will be carbon deposits in the engine with will lead to a secondary airflow low code. Sometimes the transmission would not shift into gears easily when it was colder outside. REAR LSD was also leaking. NOTE: Trans fluid and LSD fluid is not lifetime fluid like BMW claims. CHANGE the fluids out. Also car began to smoke

People who know what an M5 is, always look at the car.

FIX THE VANOS PROBLEMS. FIX THE CARBON BUILD UP PROBLEMS. Also I am 6.6" and I barely fit. It would be nice if the seats went down further. Very limited trunk space, but who cares.

Dream Car
By Peter

2000 BMW M5 Sedan 4dr Sedan

I always wanted one of the coveted M5 BMW cars ever since I was a kid and could read about them. I worried that I may be disappointed once I bought one with what it offered and delivered in reality. I was not let down one bit. If anything I was blown away by its power and pure joy of driving it. With its crisp 6 speed and so much power to play with, it's a pleasure to accelerate off the light or pass on the highway safely with lots of juice in reserve. The braking is outstanding as always and as expected from a BMW. The sport setting tightens up the steering and throttle response for an even more amazing driving experience. I smile every time I see it parked in the driveway.

That beautiful sound of the big V8, the rumble is intoxicating. The comfort and the understated body styling is stunning. The stock rims are absolutely fantastic looking wheels.

NAV has been upgraded for newer models. Sport button should stay on once activated for all times!!