1999 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: TERRIBLE RELIABILITY

1999 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

540i Sedan (4.4L V8)

By BMW Owner on

1999 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan

I bought a "certified" BMW and had NOTHING but problems since I bought it. I have had three different severe problems with the cooling system alone and this is with a car with only 50,000 miles on it. All three cooling system problems happened three weeks after my "certified" maintenance expired and each cost approx $1000 to fix and left me stranded. This car drives nice and is fast and all but mechanically it is a nightmare and it totally unreliable. And again, it was a "certified" car when I bought it. BEWARE: BMW service like brakes and regular service is EXPENSIVE! $1000 just for front brakes which you need every 25,000 miles or so. I am not happy and getting rid of the car.

It is very fast and comfortable. It is the ultimate driving machine but you will pay out of your pocket big time for the driving enjoyment. It is a rocket, but it consumes gas (18.7 MPG for me). I really like the steering and comfort and it is a very cool car to be in. Mine is a sport model.

The cooling system is a mess. Radiators failing, entire cooling systems failing, hoses failing, it seems to be always something wrong with the cooling system and NOTHING is cheap to fix. Spent a fortune