Used 1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Santa got it right
By xmsbmw

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 318i 2dr Convertible

Santa brought a 1997 red BMW 5 speed convertible to our house on Christmas morning in 2006. My wife absolutely loves this car. We took a ride along the southern half of the Blue Ridge Parkway this summer with the top down and it was an incredible trip. We have had (knock on wood) no problems and no repairs since the day we got it. All we have done in two years is change the oil. Some day the top will need to be replaced but we knew that when we got it. I compare this to a 1986 Buick "T" type I bought new that was suppose to be GM's answer to the BMW. I spent $16K on the Buick, had it 9 years and put over $17K of my own money in repairs. I now know, if you want a BMW, then buy a BMW!

The car is 12 years old and the red paint looks brand new and convertibles a soooo much fun to cruise in on a beautiful summer night

We like everything about this car. The dealer wants about $4K for a new top so that will hurt, especially considering the value of the car isn't too much more than that, but hopefully we can find a specialty shop that can do a good job for a little less.

Through the painful part
By Bimconvert

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

Today, I love this car. Never felt like this before; she handles so tight, races at every light. That is, after $3k in repairs; had to get new body electronics module, A/C heater module, struts, balljoints, bushings, power steering hoses and still need to get aux fan and new top. Too much for the 85000 miles it has seen. In hindsight not the brightest purchase I ever made, but now that the painful part is over, this is the most fun I've ever had on four wheels. At least while driving.

Sheer power, nimble steering, heated seats, electronics everywhere.

Cheaper parts please

Fantastic car
By slk328ic

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 97 328iC from a PP (1 owner w/ all records) w/ 70K miles. In first year, had to replace front pads and rotors, light bulb under clock and radiator, hoses, thermos and housing. Replaced coolant related parts (water pump was aluminum and ok). I upgraded the stock wheels to 18". Car is Alpine White w/ Ash Grey leather. BEAUTIFUL car that turns heads EVERY DAY! Performance is great for an automatic!

CONVERTIBLE! Color combination is not common and perfect!

Cupholders. Radio.

BMW for life
By bmwdan22

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

This car has been amazing for the entire time I have owned it. The only major problem I have had with it is that the top stopped working after being jammed. It has lasted over 170,000 miles and still drives better than most cars on the road. I will only own a BMW.

Sticks to the road, lots of fun to drive, and safe.

Make the A/C blow harder and remove cars slower than the 328 from the road.

BMW 328ic, a very well made car
By Al

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

I bought my 328iC back in April '03. It was still fresh looking and amazing to drive given the fact that it had 50K miles on it already. I thought I'd keep it for 3 years and just move onto another car, but I love this car! I'm going to keep it for quite some time further, repairs have been non existant other than a waterpump and fan blade. I'm nearing 100K miles so its time to replace some bushings, other than that it's a solid reliable ride.

The exterior appearance, very classy. Clear and easy to read gauges. Comfortable seats. Center mounted window controls.

Dashboard design is somewhat spartan. Design on glovebox is such that the door looks droopy even when it's closed tight.