Used 1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 3 Series model:

Through the painful part
By Bimconvert

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

Today, I love this car. Never felt like this before; she handles so tight, races at every light. That is, after $3k in repairs; had to get new body electronics module, A/C heater module, struts, balljoints, bushings, power steering hoses and still need to get aux fan and new top. Too much for the 85000 miles it has seen. In hindsight not the brightest purchase I ever made, but now that the painful part is over, this is the most fun I've ever had on four wheels. At least while driving.

Favorite Features

Sheer power, nimble steering, heated seats, electronics everywhere.

Suggested Improvements

Cheaper parts please

Fantastic car
By slk328ic

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

I purchased my 97 328iC from a PP (1 owner w/ all records) w/ 70K miles. In first year, had to replace front pads and rotors, light bulb under clock and radiator, hoses, thermos and housing. Replaced coolant related parts (water pump was aluminum and ok). I upgraded the stock wheels to 18". Car is Alpine White w/ Ash Grey leather. BEAUTIFUL car that turns heads EVERY DAY! Performance is great for an automatic!

Favorite Features

CONVERTIBLE! Color combination is not common and perfect!

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders. Radio.

BMW for life
By bmwdan22

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

This car has been amazing for the entire time I have owned it. The only major problem I have had with it is that the top stopped working after being jammed. It has lasted over 170,000 miles and still drives better than most cars on the road. I will only own a BMW.

Favorite Features

Sticks to the road, lots of fun to drive, and safe.

Suggested Improvements

Make the A/C blow harder and remove cars slower than the 328 from the road.

BMW 328ic, a very well made car
By Al

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

I bought my 328iC back in April '03. It was still fresh looking and amazing to drive given the fact that it had 50K miles on it already. I thought I'd keep it for 3 years and just move onto another car, but I love this car! I'm going to keep it for quite some time further, repairs have been non existant other than a waterpump and fan blade. I'm nearing 100K miles so its time to replace some bushings, other than that it's a solid reliable ride.

Favorite Features

The exterior appearance, very classy. Clear and easy to read gauges. Comfortable seats. Center mounted window controls.

Suggested Improvements

Dashboard design is somewhat spartan. Design on glovebox is such that the door looks droopy even when it's closed tight.

Ya Gotta Love it!
By AtlantaGal

1997 BMW 3 Series Convertible 328i 2dr Convertible

I've now had this convertible BMW for 5 years and it's been a highlight of my driving days. I bought it used and still under warranty, which came in handy when the convertible straps needed replacing. I understand that happens at about 30K miles. If I had not grown up with two mechanic brothers working on Detroit vehicles, I would have had a chance to drive a BMW sooner. There is a reason why it's the Ultimate Driving Machine. Some folks may not like the fact that the control panel tells you when to do what, but it's a great help for me.

Favorite Features

Much better gas mileage than expected. Superb handling on curves. Convertibles rule! Just a sexy looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Sure a convertible doesn't muffle road noise as well, but you know if you were meant to have one. We've got two!