Used 2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe

View reviews for a specific 1 Series model:

The Perfect Size
By Michael

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I eagerly awaited the debut of the 1 series here in the states after having read much about the European model. After test driving the 1, it was clear that it would become my new driver. Beautiful throaty exhaust note, rock solid build quality and the legendary BMW straight six makes it a dream drive! I much prefer the size of the 1 series over that of the 3, and to me, it is the spiritual successor to the original 2002.

Favorite Features

Gorgeous coral red leather, integrated iPod connectivity, and BlueTooth. I also opted for the HD radio.

Suggested Improvements

A tweak here and there (perhaps 7 speed transmission) to get a bit better gas mileage.

A Real Enthusiast car
By Barry J

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

In the past I owned four BMW e46 M3s and they were all exhilarating to drive with awesome performance. The 135i I now own is as fun to drive as the e46 M3 beating it out just slightly from a performance standpoint, which says a lot about the 135i. It's a smaller car than I usually own, but it's nimble and sticks to the road like glue. The large brakes are definitely needed to stop this beast when it's hauling down the highway, and the exhaust growl when driving in Sport Mode is an aural pleasure. Fuel economy is okay, just about the same on the e46 M3, but my wife's 335i coupe gets a lot more MPG.

Favorite Features

Performance, acceleration, braking.

Suggested Improvements

A little better interior styling.

BMW 135i
By JaxbeachFL 135i

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Options m sport package, leather, upgraded stereo, cold weather, automatic transmission, bluetooth, I initially wanted one with a manual transmission and an ipod only but it was nearly impossible to find one. I've driven it for 3 months and it has been fantastic. The engine is amazing, the suspension wonderful, and the handling razor sharp. my biggest complaints ... I initially thought it was ugly... but it grew on me... road nice can be loud. I worry about BMW reliability. a few squeaks and rattles...

Favorite Features

Engine Handling bluetooth

Suggested Improvements

make the car 200 lbs lighter

Almost a great car
By emac

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 135i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 6M)

Got my 135 coupe with 10k miles on it. Love the way the car drives and handles. Excellent manual transmission but this has been a heartbreak car. Reliability has been poor. Within three months, fuel pump went out then the tail light went out. Dealer failed to fix it the first time. Lots of creaks and rattles when road isn't perfectly paved. Handles well but there is more body roll than I expected. Also, heater puts out cool air from the vents except on highest setting.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, manual transmission are great.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability - I don't trust this car. Make sure the heater puts out warm air, in the center vents, not just the footwell and defrost vents.

Feat of eng. & a work of art
By arnoldisnumerouno

2009 BMW 1 Series Coupe 128i 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Simply, I love this car. The 128i has plenty of power and the handling is second to none. Shifting is incredibly smooth and you can stop on a dime. There's nothing I would change about this car performance-wise. The 1 series exterior look may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I think it is beautiful. And I think BMW's interiors are the best in the business. Plus, there's a million 3 series on the road, why not have something unique? I gave slightly lower marks on the comfort only due to the small backseat. I never have anyone in the backseat so it didn't make a difference to me, but for anyone who needs to drive others should take this into consideration.

Favorite Features

The attention to details! Simple and elegant interior w/ the classic amber BMW lighting. I think the armrest is in the perfect position for shifting. Perfect size/thickness steering wheel. Great sound system. Very accurate automatic temperature control.

Suggested Improvements

Gas tank could be two gallons bigger. Can't see the top of the gauges with the steering wheel in lowest position. Interior door handle too far up and is difficult to push open. All very minor issues, imo.