2014 Audi Q5 Diesel Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Audi Q5 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Q5 model:

Love the TDI, Skip the MMI package
By p_auyeung

2014 Audi Q5 Diesel TDI Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

Fun car to drive. The diesel engine is amazing, especially on long journeys. The acceleration is fantastic, very good for road trips as well as battling the everyday commute. The MMI is total crap. Voice recognition doesn't recognize much, and the navigation takes far too long to start up. I've given up using it. The stereo system is a bit on the quiet side, even with the B&O package.

Agile and sporty but not a sedan
By seattle_driver

I have had my 2014 Q5 TDI for around 6 months now so feel comfortable writing a review. Overall it's a great car: it's fun to drive and it feels agile and sporty. The mileage is generally better than advertised: we took a 2,000 mile road trip this summer and with 4 people and luggage we averaged just under 37 MPG -- going through the Canadian Rockies. I liked this car better than the other smaller SUVs I test-drove (Lexus, Cadillac, BMW.) On the down side, the steering can feel remote and the center of gravity is definitely higher than my 2000 Mercedes E 320 sedan (or maybe I'm just used to it) I ordered all of the options, including the tow hitch, which made the car rather expensive.

My favorite feature is the large sun / moon roof -- it makes the car feel much larger than it is. My second favorite feature is the navigation system, but it could be improved by having a touch screen. I also like the voice commands -- being able to call someone completely hands-free using a contact on my iPhone is quite useful. Also, I'm 5'9" and the seat feels a little short sometimes.

The features that need improvement are: 1. side mirrors are huge, and create a large blind spot on each side. It is difficult to see other cars at 4-way stops and hard to see pedestrians crossing the street. 2. Navigation system is mediocre in Canada. Many roads and attractions are not there, and if you deviate from Audi's route, the system tries to direct you back to the original chosen route 3. I would like to be able to turn off the extra "attractions" noted at each exit and have the option to display only ones on the chosen route without de-selecting each type one by one 3. Wifi hotspot feature is not available in Canada 4. iPhone hookup is not available for the 5s

So much to love but so many annoyances!
By remlerman

This car handles terrifically; as smooth and responsive as any BMW or Lexus I've owned. The diesel has so much low end torque that you'll blow off kids in hot cars without meaning to. The car is beautiful and comfortable and the sound system excellent. All that being said, I'll never buy another Audi based on this car. The car 'lags' when trying to accelerate just a little from an already-slow speed (like turning at an intersection with pedestrians; or waiting for a break in oncoming cars while turning) leaving you in dangerous situations at times. The electronics are WAY behind the curve: you have to take your eyes off the road and hand off the wheel for FAR too much.

Sheet metal and interior comfort features are great. Acceleration from a dead stop is amazing.

Get a software designer!!!! I have to look away from the road and release the wheel to change channels on radio, change audio sources; select a different phone to interface (everyone in the family has a 'connected' phone); the 'answer phone' button is capricious (working sometimes and not at others). The navi system is clunky and the voice recognition system is clunkier. I've been in radio business for 30 years and have a very clear speaking voice but not to this system! My Ford Escape system is three times as sophisticated but the car costs half as much. Why is that?

Driving the 2014 Audi Q5
By jimallyn

I have been extremely satisfied with my Q5 Prestige 3.0 TDI . The car is fun to drive, has lots of power and gets excellent mileage. For the last 15,000 miles I have averaged over 35 miles per gallon. This includes both town and highway driving. (Town driving is approximately 30 MPG and highway is near 40 MPG.)

Economy, safety features (blind spot warning and backup warning etc.) The rear view camera with the travel path indicator is very helpful. The 3.0 TDI engine has lots of power and torque

It takes a while to learn the instrumentation.

Known Navigation problem that Audi will not tell you
By garakl

I own the 2014 Audi Q5 TDI for 6 months. Love everything in this car except MMI. Recently discovered a problem with Navigation - sometimes, it looses GPS signal and when re-acquires, it recalculates your position by 1-2 miles off your real location. MMI reset does not help. All that helped so far, is to stop the car, turnoff the ignition, and wait for 10-15 minutes. AUDI is aware of this problem, but has no solution. Today, after 6 month of very gentle use, I have only 6K miles on the car, its rear view camera stopped working, shows green chaotically blinking stripes and rectangles. I am very disappointed. I planned to keep the car, but now I am glad that I leased it first.

TDI - Great performance, and acceleration. My commute involves highway and city, and I am getting 29 MPG, on highways only I am getting 37MPG. Google maps - keeps maps and POI always up to date

Go touch-panel, your four buttons are pathetic. Ditch the T-Mobile 3G crappy internet. Your MMI does accept AT&T simcards and it is way faster while it is still 3G. Or even better, let us use internet via our smartphones.