2014 Audi Q5 Diesel - Consumer Reviews

TDI Premium Plus quattro 3.0L V6 Turbo Diesel AWD 8-speed Automatic - (9 reviews )
Agile and sporty but not a sedan
By seattle_driver on 10/14/14 13:58 PM (PDT)

2014 Audi Q5 Diesel TDI Premium Plus quattro 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbodiesel 8A)

I have had my 2014 Q5 TDI for around 6 months now so feel comfortable writing a review. Overall it's a great car: it's fun to drive and it feels agile and sporty. The mileage is generally better than advertised: we took a 2,000 mile road trip this summer and with 4 people and luggage we averaged just under 37 MPG -- going through the Canadian Rockies. I liked this car better than the other smaller SUVs I test-drove (Lexus, Cadillac, BMW.) On the down side, the steering can feel remote and the center of gravity is definitely higher than my 2000 Mercedes E 320 sedan (or maybe I'm just used to it) I ordered all of the options, including the tow hitch, which made the car rather expensive.

So much to love but so many annoyances!
By remlerman on 10/02/14 14:43 PM (PDT)

This car handles terrifically; as smooth and responsive as any BMW or Lexus I've owned. The diesel has so much low end torque that you'll blow off kids in hot cars without meaning to. The car is beautiful and comfortable and the sound system excellent. All that being said, I'll never buy another Audi based on this car. The car 'lags' when trying to accelerate just a little from an already-slow speed (like turning at an intersection with pedestrians; or waiting for a break in oncoming cars while turning) leaving you in dangerous situations at times. The electronics are WAY behind the curve: you have to take your eyes off the road and hand off the wheel for FAR too much.

Driving the 2014 Audi Q5
By jimallyn on 09/26/14 12:38 PM (PDT)

I have been extremely satisfied with my Q5 Prestige 3.0 TDI . The car is fun to drive, has lots of power and gets excellent mileage. For the last 15,000 miles I have averaged over 35 miles per gallon. This includes both town and highway driving. (Town driving is approximately 30 MPG and highway is near 40 MPG.)

Known Navigation problem that Audi will not tell you
By garakl on 07/30/14 00:06 AM (PDT)

I own the 2014 Audi Q5 TDI for 6 months. Love everything in this car except MMI. Recently discovered a problem with Navigation - sometimes, it looses GPS signal and when re-acquires, it recalculates your position by 1-2 miles off your real location. MMI reset does not help. All that helped so far, is to stop the car, turnoff the ignition, and wait for 10-15 minutes. AUDI is aware of this problem, but has no solution. Today, after 6 month of very gentle use, I have only 6K miles on the car, its rear view camera stopped working, shows green chaotically blinking stripes and rectangles. I am very disappointed. I planned to keep the car, but now I am glad that I leased it first.

TDI engine is a superstar
By wolvesq on 04/27/14 07:55 AM (PDT)

I cross-shopped the Q5 against the X3 35i, XC60 T6, Range Rover Sport, and Cayenne. All had their strengths, but I fell in love with the Q5's TDI engine. In short, it provides the best of both worlds. It explodes off the line like a rocket thanks to its considerable low end torque, but also returns fantastic mpg, often reaching 35 mpg on the highway. I had no idea diesels were so much fun -- I preferred it to the petrol inline sixes in the XC60 and X3. You can get the same basic TDI engine in the Cayenne, but it's at least $20k premium over a similarly equipped Q5. And just so you don't think I'm too easy of a grader when I say it "explodes" off the line, I'm coming from a C63 AMG.

2014 Premium Plus TDI
By motoracer on 04/22/14 19:45 PM (PDT)

Our Q5 TDI is only four days old and already impresses. Premium Plus with MMI, B&O sound system, tow hitch and side assist. Per the computer that might be optimistic, we got 37 mpg on the mainly highway trip home from the dealer. Managed 33 mpg on the way into work (uphill) and 37 mpg on the way home. The OEM tow hitch is a clean install and they gave me a color matched insert for the back bumper if I ever get rid of the hitch. The auto stop system is not intrusive.

Power and efficiency
By glowplug on 04/22/14 08:46 AM (PDT)

Audi Q5 TDI Premium Plus, Scuba Blue/Chestnut interior with ash inlays. Car had to be ordered and delivery took 82 days which felt like an eternity. The engine response is very good, but like the articles there is a very slight lag. It has no affect on any real world merge or passing situation I’ve encountered. The first 350 miles have been about 100 miles in town and 250 miles on an Interstate Highway road trip (70 mph). The in town mileage was around 24 mpg and overall for the 350 miles it was 31.4 mpg. Uses auto-shutdown but the start-up is very fast so there is no issue about keeping people waiting behind you. This function can be turned off from the dash.

Audi Q5 TDI - Better mileage than advertised
By darioa on 03/24/14 21:42 PM (PDT)

My new Audi Q5 TDI has a little over 1700 miles. I've been very careful during the break-in period, which happened during extreme cold temperatures and much snow and ice on the roads for a few weeks in February. The car would start flawlessly every time even at temperatures of -20 F in the mountains of Colorado. I've averaged 25.5 mpg in the city during cold weather and snowy roads. On a 180 mile round trip from Winter Park to Steamboat Springs, where you start at 8800 ft, go down to 7000, then up to almost 11,000 ft and then down to 6,800 ft I averaged 35 mpg with 5 people in the car, skis on the roof and a fully loaded trunk. From Boulder to Colorado Springs and back I averaged 41.5 MPG.

New 2014 Q5 TDI Owner
By berner on 02/13/14 15:05 PM (PST)

Took delivery in early November 2014 of car ordered in July 2014. I am extremely pleased with the purchase! Have just had the 5,000-mile service performed and the car is a pure pleasure to own and drive. The car's torque (406ftlbs) makes driving fun. The "side assist" and "MMI" are worthwhile options. At 5,000-plus miles, in 30/70 city/highway driving, I average 30-mpg. On interstate trips, with cruise set at 77-mph, I average close to 34-mpg. I am amazed!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2014 Audi Q5 Diesel in VA is:

$153 per month*