2002 Audi A4 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific A4 model:
Typical Euro car with high maintenance requirements
By baldya4 on 10/22/13 12:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned the car since new with 220K miles. It has never been to the dealer or private mechanic except for the initial free maint and the few minor recalls. However, that is not to say it has not had its share of anomalies. Three timing belts, 3 water pumps, 3 batteries, One fuel pump, too many coil packs to count, one temp sensor, two valve cover gaskets and one thermostat. All this may sound horrible and it probably would be if I had no mechanical aptitude or desire to do my own repairs. The car is actually easy to work on. Very modular in the way things come apart. Information is readily available on the Net. I've kept this car because the 1.8T engine block is bullet proof.

stay away!
By ellagirl on 06/03/12 10:34 AM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

this car was bought from my family brand new then passed down to me. i have had nothing but probs in this 3.0 v6 quattro. it had turned into a money pit. the coils, cats, timing belt, power steering pump, all this money and still not fixed completely. moon roof wont stay open or close without playing around with it. starter is starting to go. rpms rev when idling. overall very dissapointed in this car. done with audi/vw!

The Audi A4 V6 3.0 Are Made for Speed Period
By 1sikaudi on 06/02/12 12:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a serious driving machine. It is not meant to be garaged or driven on Sunday's to church. Much worse driven leisurely. This car is a monster and I did nothing to the engine. The only thing I added was a K & N filter to replace the factory one which in effect added another 15 hp simply because of the additional air coming in. From the moment you turn the car on you can hear the engine which to me was like music to my ears. I drove this car to the limit and had more than enough fun doing it. If I had to put it in 6th gear I was over a 100MPH easily. The highway drive was phenomenal. Man what a car. I bought it with 30k and trade it at 102k. Perfect in every sense of the word.

Like the other reviews
By elewsader on 12/17/10 17:33 PM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Much like the other reviews, this car was fabulous from an interior fit and finish perspective, but something was always breaking and it was always costly; I had wiper linkage seize up which was over $300, H.I.D light (dipped headlight) which was $300, and many more. It seemed like everything that had an issue it was $300 or more. There were also odd electrical gremlins with the radio and sunroof (sunroof was blamed on a potentiometer, and the radio was blamed on lithium grease in the door connectors). I got great gas mileage on this car but overall it's a great car if you can afford the pricey repairs. - 1.8t six speed automatic, fwd model

Disappointed
By COdriver on 09/24/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This thing is a money pit. Can't believe how much it costs to fix every little thing. Have had the car almost 4 years now & I can't take it any more. If you happen to be looking at one of these things, stay away.

Too many expensive repairs
By TWally on 06/10/10 12:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

The 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro was fun to drive and great in the snow but the repairs killed the bank! They were so expensive and something was always going wrong with the car. I wouldn't suggest buying one or any Audi for that matter unless you are willing to put thousands into the car! Buyer beware!

So Long, Audi
By I'm Gonna Miss Her.. on 01/29/10 13:20 PM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Bought this car almost two years ago from an Audi dealership. Sadly, the engine has failed due to the infamous oil sludge build-up issue in the 1.8T engine. Car was always maintained at Audi dealer. The car is beautiful...but it will be moving on to greener pastures with someone who would like to put a new engine in it. Timing belt also had to be replaced, ignition coils, etc. Too many recalls for "Truth in Engineering", Audi.

Great Car
By flyboy on 01/03/10 13:32 PM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

I get up to 36 mpg on the Interstate at 70, average 27 total including around town, uses no oil between 5000 mile changes, BE SURE to use synthetic and change it as the turbo is hard on oil, change the CVT every 50K, everything works like brand new on this car, no wind leaks, no rattles, no rust, no squeaks. Change the timing belt every 100K, brakes last 50K plus, has original shocks and they are still good.

=(
By Kam on 01/02/10 09:49 AM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought that Audi 4 months ago, 3k miles and 3000 dollars I spend for keeping it running. Oil leak, pump(timing belt), catalytic, heater problems, ignition coils...and some more...14 - 15mpg in a city. It looks really great, but i'm afraid to drive it, anything could break anytime...

A4 quattro 1.8
By yo_mikeyyy on 11/10/09 21:20 PM (PST)

2002 Audi A4 1.8T quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased this car with 57k miles 2 years ago. Now I have 84k and I only had a few problems. Power steering fluid was leaking and engine speed sensor and also my moonroof won't stay open. I enjoy driving the car especially in the winter when there's snow on the ground! It's fun! I haven't had a major problem but I am scared coz someone I know has the same exact car and his timing belt broke at 85k. It is not a cheap car to fix nor maintain but I try my best.