Used 2002 Audi A4 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Audi A4

View reviews for a specific A4 model:

Love my red a4 3.0 quattro
By Andy Wessels

2002 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great car, super fun to drive. Plenty of torque at normal rpm range and lots of grip around the corners! Front seats are plush and comfy although rear seating is tight. Car is equipped with power everything; mirrors, sunfoof, windows, seats, etc... This car's grip, power, and planted feel blew my mind when I first test drove it. Before i had a 2001 passat 2.8, and this thing just runs circles around that. Great car that i would recommend.

Favorite Features

CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) allows the RPMs to jump into the power band any time you step on the gas. Gas pedal is linear so you can be precise with how much power you want, and the kickdown when you put the pedal to the metal is no joke. Heated seats front and rear are nice. Great stock stereo. Quattro paired with the v6 makes this thing unstoppable in the snow. In my opinion the a4 is the most handsome of all the B6 (2002-2005) audis.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage isnt the greatest (average 18-20mpg). Rear seats are tight. Car does have some electrical problems with broken sensors and stuff but thats typical of older audis, nothing major or too expensive. Unfortunately for tinkerers there are not very many performance upgrades available for the 3.0, although there are a few.

Typical Euro car with high maintenance requirements
By baldya4

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I've owned the car since new with 220K miles. It has never been to the dealer or private mechanic except for the initial free maint and the few minor recalls. However, that is not to say it has not had its share of anomalies. Three timing belts, 3 water pumps, 3 batteries, One fuel pump, too many coil packs to count, one temp sensor, two valve cover gaskets and one thermostat. All this may sound horrible and it probably would be if I had no mechanical aptitude or desire to do my own repairs. The car is actually easy to work on. Very modular in the way things come apart. Information is readily available on the Net. I've kept this car because the 1.8T engine block is bullet proof.

Favorite Features

1. Driving dynamics. Handling, braking and overall feel of the car. 2. Looks. Exterior paint has held up well. Shines up nicely. 3. Easy to repair. The minor things that give this car a bad reputation might make some cringe. I find it easy to troubleshoot and repair. Parts get cheaper every year. 4.

Suggested Improvements

The rubber coatings on the knobs and switches is too fragile for long term wear. There are many plastic pieces throughout the car that will get brittle over time and cause problems. I've heard it described as, "Bad German plastic" Who knows?

stay away!
By ellagirl

2002 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

this car was bought from my family brand new then passed down to me. i have had nothing but probs in this 3.0 v6 quattro. it had turned into a money pit. the coils, cats, timing belt, power steering pump, all this money and still not fixed completely. moon roof wont stay open or close without playing around with it. starter is starting to go. rpms rev when idling. overall very dissapointed in this car. done with audi/vw!

Favorite Features

heated seats built in nav key seat memorization

Suggested Improvements

everything internally

The Audi A4 V6 3.0 Are Made for Speed Period
By 1sikaudi

2002 Audi A4 3.0 quattro AWD 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car is a serious driving machine. It is not meant to be garaged or driven on Sunday's to church. Much worse driven leisurely. This car is a monster and I did nothing to the engine. The only thing I added was a K & N filter to replace the factory one which in effect added another 15 hp simply because of the additional air coming in. From the moment you turn the car on you can hear the engine which to me was like music to my ears. I drove this car to the limit and had more than enough fun doing it. If I had to put it in 6th gear I was over a 100MPH easily. The highway drive was phenomenal. Man what a car. I bought it with 30k and trade it at 102k. Perfect in every sense of the word.

Favorite Features

Acceleration from 0 and during highway drive Auto climate control Audi symphony 10 Cd player Sunroof 6 gears

Suggested Improvements

Lower service calls Lower part costs

Like the other reviews
By elewsader

2002 Audi A4 1.8T Fwd 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo CVT)

Much like the other reviews, this car was fabulous from an interior fit and finish perspective, but something was always breaking and it was always costly; I had wiper linkage seize up which was over $300, H.I.D light (dipped headlight) which was $300, and many more. It seemed like everything that had an issue it was $300 or more. There were also odd electrical gremlins with the radio and sunroof (sunroof was blamed on a potentiometer, and the radio was blamed on lithium grease in the door connectors). I got great gas mileage on this car but overall it's a great car if you can afford the pricey repairs. - 1.8t six speed automatic, fwd model

Favorite Features

interior fit and finish, magazine holder, storage under front seats, rear fog light, instrument cluster design.

Suggested Improvements

poorly placed cup holders, no rear leg room, and costly repairs.