Used 1998 Volvo S70 Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Volvo S70

View reviews for a specific S70 model:

Best Car Ever Built...End of Discussion!
By jayandally

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

I bought my Volvo S70 in 2000 with 24,000 miles on it, but sadly had to say goodbye to it this week.
While it didn't get me to 300K, it did get me to 286,000.
The only work I ever had done was sparks plugs & wires, fuel filter, radiator hoses and alternator.
The car was rock solid and reliable.
I was so impressed with the car, I bought another S70 - hopefully this one gets me over 200K also.

Reliability, comfort

None

Great car at 170k
By mulchie

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

Bought this car used, mint w/ 40k in 2005. Now, at 170k I am having my very first problems but they are minor. Replacement headlamp (deer) went rusty. Replacement radio antenna (car wash got the 1st) busted. All mechanics have been mint. Only time she's left me stranded was when a simple $40 item broke in the accelerator cable. Limped into a gas station and she was back on the road in an hour. Also the clutch got rough (5-speed manual). Replaced & now drives like a dream. Body remains mint despite New England winters. No rust anywhere. Drive is smooth.
30mph highway. 25 combined. Sticky buttons -yes- as others have said. I smeared brown paper napkins on them and that dried it out.

Comfortable Reliable Safe Just a little delux

Sticky buttons hopefully have been addressed in updated models. Antenna is a bit overcomplicated (mechanical up and down)

Update
By pandabear1

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

Since writing my review in May 2006, I have replaced the ABS module again, the rear shocks, and the O2 sensor.
The AC and thermostat both stopped working in 2009. I replaced the power windows around the same time because one day, they just "fell" into the doors.
In 2008, the key in the ignition wouldn't turn anymore and had to be replaced.
In order to make sure I'd just have 1 car key, all the door locks had to be replaced as well to make it uniform.
I can't even describe all the sounds coming from behind the dash of "loose parts" jiggling around. Given that after 14 years, there are only 112k miles, this car has had a ton of issues.

The seats are comfortable and plush. The trunk is large and deep.

Excellent reliability, performance and comfort.
By chris_svedka

1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 4dr Sedan

I have owned the V70 and S70 line of vehicles for many years.
My 1998 S70 T5 is hands down the best vehicle I have ever owned.
After owning one, and wanting a second T5, I drove over 400 miles, round trip to pick up
another one.
These cars are built exceptionally well.
I have never had one leave me stranded.
Every vehicle requires maintenance and an occasional part.
Parts are cheap if you know where to look.
Any mechanic should be able to work on these EASILY. They do not cost more to work on than anything else.
If you insist on taking them to dealers out of warranty, then expect to pay.
Knowledge and a little legwork will make these one of the most economical cars you can own.

SAFETY! My very first T5 probably saved my life in a front impact collision. Very nice interior. Leather holds up very well after 13 years. Solid ride. I live in the snowbelt and our state uses Salt to treat the roads. All of my cars look like new, inclduing the undercarriage, after 13 years of salt spray and potholes.

Great Car!
By K

1998 Volvo S70 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and I have had it for almost 2 years. It has been great to me, I've driven it for about 25,000 miles and it has been great. Only issue was it overheated due to my ignorance of not knowing what coolant was and what it did and drove it like a goof and put $400 down the drain.

Great first car. I have leather seats, power seats and a ton of room! Very comfortable. My car does not look cheap! Way better than all the typical first cars such as Civics. I tinted my windows and I feel like money. I have a great sound system and the most comfortable seats not to mention safety!

Better parts. I've had to replace both front blinker lights, they both fell off driving on the freeway and scratched the sides as I drove off. Cup holder is kinda useless, very fragile. Better mileage, I barely get 20. My defroster is a bit slow, but don't need it too much living in SoCal!