Used 2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews - 245 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific New Beetle model:

Gotta love the TDI, 1yr later still loving it!!
By Long Range Customs

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS TDI 2dr Hatchback (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

At 6'6", the little VW Beetle has absolutely the most comfortable seats my wife and i have ever been in for long road trips. A few years ago i made a 5400 mile trip in 84 hours flat, yes do the math on that one! I certainly was tired when i got to my destination and returning home but was no where near as sore as every other vehicle i have ever been owned! Gotta love the VW seats and interior design! The fuel mileage of the little 1.9L is incredible. At 80 mph for nearly the entire trip with severe side/head winds at times i still averaged 45MPG for the entire trip!!We typically see 42 city and 48-50hwy. I use light weight synthetic oils in the engine and tranny. I run my tires at their max on the sidewall giving me nearly perfect tread wear across the entire surface of the tires. My best tank was 760 miles on one tank! I spent a lot of time nursing it to the top both times. INCREDIBLE!! My only complaint however, is that VW used flimsy "Rivets" to hold the third member together that the ring gear bolts to in the little 5 spd transmission. A couple of the rivets flew out and punched a 3"-4" hole in the lower side of the transmission housing. At about 156k we removed the tranny to install a new clutch and much to our surprise we found the "inspection hole" they caused when they flew out. Costing us an unnecessary case replacement/tranny rebuild! We drilled out the remaining rivets and installed the recommended API bolt kit and all is good! It has absolutely ran like a swiss watch before and after that. Can't say enough about the little TDI beetles, love'em!! We liked it so much i am heading to purchase another one as ours was just hit in the front end by another driver and was totaled. All occupants we completely safe thanks to the Beetles design!! :{)

turbo 5 speed fast and great MPG...
By cali guy

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Its was my sister car at 79k miles on it. It look and drove great. I was impress with MPG and Yes at 30 plus plus mpg!! Now at 100k and moved to the horrible south Texas! With humility and very Hot I noticed the door panels are pulling back-off like, there leather and it's anoing! It has cute looks that's what girls and women like but really it's a nice car. With the 1.8L turbo and 5speed manuel...it's a Fast little sleeper...hehe I love it at stop lights with big trucks or mustang even the 320z it just leaves all of them at the light! And the drivers look as they only see my tail lights!! Ha!! But as the car it has one of the Best n World engine top 10... But with the window regulator(drivers side was out!) and door trim pulling out...and headlights work great but fade to fast... It has problems....Sad cuz it's actually a good little Fast great MPG...car. I drove PCH highway for those that don't know that the twisty road on the west coast...and with the top down..it was a fun fun little car to drive...and I drive spiritly quick to I may add. So for a safe and good MPG and a Fast car with manuel n turbocharger it's great. But some quality built materials would be appreciated.

DO NOT BUY/CHEAPLY BUILT
By VW Hater

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 2dr Convertible (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had nothing but problems with this car. Front bumper falls off, inside door panel falls off, pully for window snapped, replaced motor, the power steering pump gone twice, and now I am stuck with this huge piece of crap and no dealership will even take it as a trade :'( *** Forget needing a simple part either because they will rape you in price! Fred Flinstone Car!!

My bug
By Nativegrl918@gmail.com

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GL 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love this car

Worst purchase of my entire life
By Victoria

2004 Volkswagen New Beetle GLS 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought the car because it was cute, got good gas mileage, and I had always wanted one. Well, 3 years later and i've put around $22,000 into the car. First I started replacing minor things like the timing belt and the water pump, then the alternator, then the radiator, then the computer, then the air conditioning, but then i ended up replacing the engine, then the turbo, then the door, then the head gasket, then the transmission(as well as many many other things). This car has left me stranded on SO many occasions. I'm fearful to even drive this death trap. Please save yourself the heart ache, do NOT buy an older model beetle. The only reason I have held on so long is because my grandfather keeps paying to get it fixed, but this is not an inexpensive quick fix car. It will NEVER end.