Used 2011 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Had my 2011 Jetta SEL since 6/11/11
By L. C.

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4dr Sedan w/Sport Package (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I believe that your car will be good to you if you are good to the car, it's been my experience in over 25 years of driving......That is unless it's a lemon...Thankfully this car wasn't .......I don't always baby the car but 7 times out of 10 prefer normal driving vs. aggressive driving. I bought the car in Stratford CT. This was a bad idea. At first they let me leave the lot w/ a damaged paint job(that had some awful touch up job that looked noticeable.) I paid in full the car and expected more so naturally, I yelled at the guy who sold me the car. Essentially he didn't do anything for me but his job(swap the car for a perfect vehicle). The next car I just took frustrated, I looked it over briefly, no damages and drove off w/ a different color combo so I didn't need to return to pick up an exact swap....No apologies from the dealership, not a freebie or anything. The car had 22 miles on it and the steering wheel was actually off center. The alignment didn't feel out. I called them once I was home and told them they would get no further anything from me. I got my servicing local to my house in LI NY. This dealership made up for all earlier bad experiences. They gave top notch timely service on time every time and I paid nothing as the warranty provides. They were helpful in changing my phone info on the car system as I switched phones. The check engine light went off at 50,000 miles. Turns out to be secondary mass air flow sensor. The mechanic explained that fixing it was optional and chances were the car could continue driving just fine as it was. He was and is right. The repair couldn't be very expensive and it isn't essential. I've gone about 10,000 miles since and no breakdown or malfunctioning w/ the car at just over 60,000 miles now. Everything still works....The car still starts up like it did when new.... ....If you switch climates your leatherette seats will crack and tear . It's just very likely....Started up North and moved deep South...Switched all tires once and headlights on each side once... The brakes have never been replaced and still brake nicely...The SEL has disc brakes front and back.. Braking performance has always been outstanding. Car handles very well in snow and is great for long trips.. The steering can be odd w/ hydraulic pump but can also be adapted to....This model also came w/ upgraded suspension. Ultra stiff for handling and over uneven and bumpy terrain it holds to the road confidently..... I have driven the car foolishly every now and then to test brakes and performance but it can take the hard driving ..... I assume not if always driven hard but I expect any car to have issues under constant hard driving....At 60,000 miles, the tranny and engine both still feel strong....Perhaps the most redeeming quality of this car is the strong engine and tranny feel. I do understand that if the car was designed to make it to 250,000-500,000 miles....These parts of the car probably were paid most attention to....My last car was a brand new Toyota Camry.. I'm ok w/ VW but maybe ready for another Camry...The cars drive very differently..Reliability was better in that car although this car still feels quite reliable....The Jetta is w/o a doubt more fun to drive and hugs the road better than Camry..I remember being all over the road in the Camry..It's referred to as "Toyota drift".... I don't mind driving it to the ground or until epic and costly failure occurs.....I suppose I've already gotten my money's worth from it......Resale value isn't great at all for this era Jettas..... Seems that only 5-10% of VW Jettas for this era have proven reliable...Just lucky I guess or karma from earlier issues self correcting....

7.5 years without ANY problem
By Vadim

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SEL 4dr Sedan w/Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Jetta is not so quiet as Passat.

Still good
By shop

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4d Sedan w/Convenience (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I have had my jetta for 3.5 years now and it is at 39k miles. I bought it used. I got the extended warranty on it thank GOD because the other day I had a/c problems. The compressor and air pump went out it would have been a 3100 fix I paid $100 deductible and it was like new. It rides pretty good. I like the leatherette seats I don't like the exterior paint as I like pearlized paint better as this is easy to scratch!!! I don't like no automatic headlights shutoff. That is like so 10 years ago... and no sunroof.

Don't Buy this car
By David

2011 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl Turbodiesel 6M)

lets start here, from 2010 to 2011 VW wanted a new market, they wanted to appeal to a lower price market, so they made the interior cheap, I have had an ongoing issue with the interior lights just turning on and won't go off. Once they do finally go off I can push anywhere on the headliner to turn them on, to rectify it I had to pull the upper console away from the headliner. I have put no less than 20 headlamps in the car over the duration owning it. Repair costs are extensive, Check engine light on $1500 fix for exhaust part, 2 weeks later check engine light back on $1000 intake valve, AC hasn't worked in 3 years, recharged every summer, mechanic says it needs a new compressor $500. Timing belt replacement, $1500 because VW uses a nylon impellor for the water pump for OE so while the engine is torn down you need to replace the water pump. Recall for emissions VW dragged their feet for both the fix and the buyback so owners would add more mileage and then volkswagen hits them with mileage penalties. Wife got stranded in West Virginia 600 miles away because a sensor went in the motor causing the turbo to shut down, $300 and 4 hours stuck in West Virginia while it was repaired. This car has been one nightmare after another. Stay away from volkswagen!

The infamous TDI
By Cynthia Culp

2011 Volkswagen Jetta SE 4dr Sedan w/Convenience, Sunroof (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Love the car - Gas mileage is outstanding, very comfortable to drive, plenty of get up and go and hugs the road like a sports car. I am sorry to have to trade it in but it is in my best interest to do so. Really want to keep it but am not sure how the modification will affect performance.
UPDATE: VW bought my diesel back in October of 2017. It was a great car. I miss it.