Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

$2,400

Used Jetta for Sale
Select your model:

Pros
Cons

Won't buy another car until this one EXPLODES!

bradspunky06, 04/08/2014
Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have owned this 2003 VW Jetta, since 2006, bought w/23788 miles. It now has 196483 miles, still on its original clutch, its fifth set of tires. The first set went via burning rubber on launches for the first 20k of my ownership. If any portion of this car has a problem it would be caused by my abuse. I've only replaced the timing belt twice, and its still good as new. Interior is still as new except driver side entrance bolster. The engine has only gotten better and the transmission easier to shift. This car is miles of smiles for the dollar, and should be tops on your list. 31 mpg on long drives, 25-27.3 in town avg. Keep tire pressures all around at 4 lbs under max, for best handling! Updated 4/12/16 car has 231600 miles, still on original clutch, and turbo. The mileage is now between 21 and 26 depending on how I drive, but no smoke, a bit of oil burning, interior looks fantastic except bolster on driver left side of seat. Best purchase ever, love this car, handles like a dream, best tire for this car is a Cintinauro P7 Pirelli, check the tire rack for proof. You'll be like where has this tire been all my life?! Just replaced the speed sensor, it corrected a stalling issue, poor mileage, and a lack of power, all with one part. Best 527.00 I've spent, first dealer experience, and certainly won't be the last. I am still in love with my Yetta Jetta, and as I initially said, I'll drive it up til it pops. When it does, you'll be the first to know. Updated 4/15/17, car was traded in for 800.00, though I really wish I'd just kept it, instead on 5/28/16 with 236, 847 miles and a nearly completely blown turbo, I over revved it; blowing the seals. It started smoking, so before it became worthless, I traded it. It would've been 5500.00 to replace the turbo, and catalytic converter. Car was replaced by a 2009 Honda Accord EX 4cyl/5SPDR, in two years I only applied 20k to this plastic loud slow vehicle to replace it with a 2018 Accord Hybrid, A MUCH BETTER BUY. Still want another turbo, as the Jetta is still my number one car of choice, the repair bills not so much.

2003 Jetta - Wolfsburg Edition

rileyken, 07/21/2003
Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is a great car. It has very good handling and performance. There’s lots of power with the 1.8T Engine. Car’s Interior is attractive. The adjustable sports seats and leather steering wheel and leather parking brake are a plus. The overall quality is very good.

Constant expensive repairs

rocketknight, 07/15/2013
Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Fun to drive. Too expensive to own! Breaks often, all unusual problems, always over $1K to repair. Engine design is terrible! Water pump broke at 32K miles/4yrs. 2/3 of transmission needed replaced at 100K from the plastic hydraulics reservoir bursting. Plastic parts throughout engine are designed to last <10 years. An engine fuse didn't burst when shorted causing a small engine fire. Plastic parts break when removing to get to broken parts. Metal fuel lines bolted over plastic coolant parts with no line flex make DIY very difficult. Most parts can only be obtained through dealers. Aftermarket parts cause check engine light to be constantly on, only solution is dealer parts @>2-3x cost. ETC. Worth of vehicle always less than repair costs.

Needed at least one review for diesel

rcplaneman16, 04/11/2014
GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

Looked through some of the reviews and noticed not one for a diesel and everyone main complaint being MPG. Well just wanted to state that the TDI Wagon for my family has reliably gets 35-38 mpg depending how one drives on the highway and has had no major problems for 225k miles. Only things replaced was 2 alternators, original died and its replacement died while under warranty and had to clean the carbon out once so far out of the engine. everything about driving is like the gasoline that everyone has talked about.

146,000+ Miles, Lots of Fun, but Headaches Too

pjkportland, 07/26/2013
GL 1.8T 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

I have owned my 2003 1.8T 5A GLS wagon since new and now have over 146k miles. It really is fun to drive and has amazing cargo hauling space. But . . . expensive to maintain and gets only about 21 mpg on premium. Make sure you have a good mechanic. Mine is one of the best, and I still have a funky/random issue - a beep, blinking dash lights, then a power drop, as if the tranny disconnected with the engine. As much as I like driving the car, I think I'm going back to Honda when old blue bites the dust.