Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews - 568 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

I LOVE my 2003 Jetta Diesel Wagon! (95,000 miles)
By Bruce Hopkins

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 4A)

I originally bought a new 2002 NEW Jetta Diesel Wagon, but in March, 2004, a lady ran a stop sign and totaled it <sigh>. So, I managed to find a nice, lightly used 2003 and have been driving it for 14 years. It's been a magnificent car! Now, I *do* run only synthetic oil in it (changed every 6,000 miles) and it's garaged, so those factors might make my experience better than some. It's never had to go back to the dealer. The only things that have gone wrong are the headliner is starting to sag a little, and the headlight covers "fogged" over (that was fixed for 10 bucks at O'Reilly's with an easy-to-use lens restorer). I get 36-40 mpg, but also drive the speed limit and don't dog it. My only regret is that VW no longer makes--or imports--the diesel anymore. I prefer diesels b/c the ethanol in gasoline isn't good for engines, and if the gov't mandates 15% ethanol, it will destroy a lot of them. (Ed Wallace @ insideautomotive dot com says that, if you buy your gas at some discount stations, you risk getting 15%.)

On my second ALH looking for third!
By Dave Smith

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GLS TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

It's rediculous they made these cars in 1999 and can't make any thing to compare to them today. They put all the money into USB ports and navigation systems and skimp on frame and engine quality. New cars are highly tech junk. At least you'll be able to spotify, and tweet while you are waiting on AAA.....haha.

Great Economical Vehicle
By Jay

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Sedan (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

Great little economical car and after owning my 2003 TDI Jetta, I will never go back to a Gasser. It averages 25-35 in city and 35-50 on highway. However, the automatic transmissions almost always have problems after 100,000 miles. Other them that definitely 4 out of 5 stars

fine tuned machine
By john and christina

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL TDI 4dr Wagon (1.9L 4cyl Turbodiesel 5M)

bought this car2007 with 74,000 miles on it. in ten years, we have now nearly 250,000 miles. what a great and reliable auto! runs like a well oiled machine with plenty of power and pick up when needed. all around great car with awesome mileage.

Very Safe little car!
By Angelle

2003 Volkswagen Jetta GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I owned a 2003 VW Jetta and as it did have a few things go wrong, just make sure you listen to the "dummy" lights on the dash. My brake lights had come on and i blew it off thinking its probably nothing until i pulled up to a stop sign and they didnt engage until it was too late. I ended up losing control of the car on a gravel road and rolled it in the ditch. However im definitely not here to say anything bad about this vehicle. I rolled it mulpitle times and walked away from the accident with nothing but a scratch from the airbags deploying and a little whiplash... the seatbelt saved my life and didnt hurt me in anyway. The windsheild was completely smashed in but considering it was made of safety glass made not to shatter it bent in and spit very little glass. My side windows were broke out and the front of my car completely smashed and the car was totaled. I was definitely protected by this Jetta i hope to have another someday. I am 17 and would 100% recomend this car to any and everyone. From a beginner car to a senior citizen! Loved this car!