Skip to main content

Compare dealer price quotes
Select your model:
12345...10

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

Move Over, Elon. You've Got Competition

Jewopaho, 05/02/2021
updated 05/09/2022
1st Edition 4dr SUV (electric DD)

We've never been VW fans. Each time we test-drove one, the vehicle fell short of the competition. However, the ID.4 not being your typical Volkswagen, we pursued a possible purchase. We drove a demo, and were impressed. The general consensus from three dealerships was that we'd have to order one to our specs online, then wait for it to be built and shipped from Germany. The fourth dealer in the area showed one available. By the quirk of luck, a model (1st Edition) dressed exactly as we would have ordered it was sitting on that showroom's floor. Apparently, the purchaser declined delivery, and we were able to buy it. For starters, it doesn't look like any EV on the road ... no funny shape (looks just the same as a standard SUV) or cheesy interiors (actually borders on the upscale). Range is just over 250 miles, three years of free charging through Electrify America, $7500 tax credit (provided you owe that much on your return) ... priced fairly (MSRP $45,100, we paid $44,400). Driving is a pleasure, smooth without being sloppy, plenty of pickup (entered the freeway with no problem), responsive handling, comfortable seating, not to mention quiet. We've also driven a Tesla Model Y ... no comparison whatsoever. If you can get to drive an ID.4, do it. You'll be impressed, too. Update: After ten months of ownership, nothing about this vehicle has changed our opinion. It remains an outstanding EV. My wife is the primary driver, and raves about it to whomever will listen (and some folks who won't). We have a 220/240 setup in the garage, so charging is not an issue. No regrets about the purchase.

My Favorite Of ALL Car's I've Owned

Lee Rothman, 06/21/2021
Pro S (Statement) 4dr SUV (electric DD)

Considering I've owned 17 new cars since 1969, some of which were premium vehicles. I have certainly had the experience of quality in my driving career. For 10 years I traveled 17 states for a living from Ohio to the West Coast in a 1994 Volvo 850, a superb vehicle for comfort and safety. I never fully intended to visit the idea of ID4 ownership until I happened into my dealer with a 2020 Tiguan SEL, another fine vehicle. I was however getting very tired of shelling out for gas with the prices steadily rising. So lets get to the meat of the matter. I took the test drive and found the following. The ride quality and ability to absorb road defects was the finest I have had the opportunity to experience including all of what Honda, Nissan, Mazda and Toyota have to offer having driven them recently. Here's another kicker. The seats were by far the finest I've sat in no matter HOW much the vehicles cost and I'm talking up to $80k cars and SUV's I've checked out along the way. They are so comfortable and adjustable beyond compare. The Infotainment system is much criticized but let me just say that once you've seen a few good Youtube video's on how to customize and use it, it's a breeze, and the sound is darned good for not being a super premium system. The details it provides on the car and all the settings you can customize is staggering but welcome. Another thing that in noted almost immediately was the choice of materials used inside and fit and finish are top flight as in a luxury vehicle. That sure won me over. Every aspect of the vehicles design and operation from the mechanics to the seats and storage is classic German engineering, not the plasticky Japanese inspired stuff. I love the nice 19" tires of my Pro S which also came with about all the added features you can get. The suspension is also remarkable in it's suppleness and also the shear flat handling in corners at speeds which I was not used to. All the safety features work so well I was able to go 30 miles on a rural highway without touching a pedal. The wonderful Adaptive Cruise allowed me to effortlessly follow a car in front of me at a very good distance, and when we came to reduced speed corners my vehicle slowed perfectly to negotiate the turns. I LOVE that brake regenerative mode to drive as I rarely need to touch the brake. It is smooth and NOT abrupt like some seem to think it should be. NO thanks this is great. All the lighting and adaptive front lights keep up with the latest in safety and competency for night driving scenarios. I love the beefy, solid and tight steering wheel and love it's accuracy with NO slop. Closing the doors provide that wonderful solid bank vault type of thunk. The auto up and down back hatch is also a real delight. Storage space is simply outstanding and the hidden compartments are a real joy as well being so cleverly applied. All in all this vehicle is flat out fun to drive and I can't wait to get into it and go somewhere. I'm using only the supplied 110v charging cord and it's all I need as we often don't go anywhere for several days at a time so it's perfect, no need for a Level 2 charging system. I can only say to drive this vehicle is to love it. It rides and handles like a dream.

I wish I could rate this car 4.5 Stars

Hammer23, 06/22/2021
1st Edition 4dr SUV (electric DD)

First, this is NOT a Tesla, if your primary consideration is to compare it with a Model Y, then you may be disappointed. I bought a ID.4 First Edition. It is a wonderful compact SUV, but its primary target audience is not Tesla buyers, it is RAV4, CRV, and other small SUV buyers. When compared to that group, I feel you can't go wrong with the ID.4. You get a competent, well laid out SUV that happens to run on electric. Here are the positives - Electric range is 250 miles according to the EPA, I have found in real life if you stick to the speed limits you will achieve this easily. Temperature can impact this, but I have found the range to be adequate. Using a 125KW charger at Electrify America, the vehicle can recharge from 5% to 80% in about a half hour. That gives you about 200 miles of range. As a bonus, 3 years of charging at EA stations is included free for 3 years. - Driving, I enjoy driving this car very much. It is extremely quiet and smooth, acceleration is on par with other small SUVs. Torque is instant and will throw you back in your seat. Since the center of gravity is low, and VW includes wide tires, this vehicle handles better than you would expect. This vehicle is extremely comfortable, the seats have great padding. Cargo room is about what you would expect in a small SUV. My First Edition has a HUGE fixed moon roof that is an awesome feature. - Operating costs are phenomenal. I live in Ohio and charging this from 5% to 80% takes about 6 hours on a level 2 charger at 40 amps. It costs about $5 and nets about 200 miles of range. At 30 MPG in a traditional SUV that would cost about $20 at $3 a gallon. *Remember you can charge at Electrify America stations for FREE. There is no real maintenance to speak of except routine inspections and air filter changes. - Technology, here is where I take away half a star. The infotainment system and vehicle controls work well, but there is a learning curve. Don't skip the orientation at the dealership. Expect to take about two hours to go through your vehicle with the dealer. There is A LOT to learn. Once you understand how the system and controls operate, they are actually quite fun to use. Being an early release, there are some obvious improvements that need to be made. One of them is in the navigation system. It is just downright awful. It will add charging stations to your trip as needed, but they often are slow level 2 chargers and not the DC fast charging that would be a better option. While this is a big miss, you can use your choice of third party navigation apps through Apple CarPlay or Android Auto. Using the Plugshare app, will help you plot charging stations along your route. It is an extra step that I hope VW resolves with an upcoming update. By the way, this car is completely capable of over the air updates. Which means that no trip to the dealer is required to update the software and enable new features. In summary, I am very pleased that I made the choice to purchase this car. It has exceeded my expectations and I actually look forward to driving it. VW did a great job and in true VW fashion, the build quality is excellent. I think this is a solid choice for someone looking for an electric suv. With the $7500 tax credit, this vehicle is an amazing value. I encourage you to put it on your list and go test drive it.

ad labelAd
Build Your Volkswagen ID.4 EV
At a Glance:
  • 4 Colors
  • 4 Trims

5 out of 5 stars

GREAT introduction to the EV experience

Matt R, 04/26/2021
1st Edition 4dr SUV (electric DD)

We were looking to get out of an expensive finance mistake and ended up leasing a 1st edition ID4. We already have a VW Beetle and know that VW is a great brand and has always offered us an affordable option but with a focus on driver experience and affordable tech plus compared to other vehicles maintenance cost has always been great. The ID4 feels like a luxury vehicle in the 1st edition trim. Seats are extremely comfortable. We drove 365 miles on the highway from the dealer and found it to be very quiet, adequately powerful and fun to drive. The safety and tech features are top notch. We of course had range anxiety due to our distance from purchasing dealer but we were pleasantly surprised. Electrify America stations did give us a couple of issues (some were because of operator error) but their support line has a human answer the call within 1-2 minutes, amazing! We made it home with no worries and are already planning next mini road trip. Visibility on front windshield is superb. Panoramic moonroof (viewing only no open) is amazing. GREAT storage for drinks / flexibility of moving storage holders for big cups etc. Wireless charging is a plus. Android Auto & Apple Car Play. USB-C plugs. Motorized trunk opening/closing. Hard to talk about long term range yet due to new ownership. I would say this vehicle feels next get but is still enough like a regular crossover SUV that it is not a drastic change. I don't want to attract too much attention personally. My only complaint so far is the infotainment system seems to have too many options. I also personally like traditional buttons and knobs for climate control / radio. There is a volume "slider" and temp up and down buttons but most of the ac controls are on the screen. We will get used to it. Minor complaint. I would prefer it to have a spare tire but I know most vehicles are moving to eliminate that as well. All in all, this feels like a high-end affordable electric vehicle. We are optimistic that charging infrastructure will continue to improve in Texas. For now, it does have our most travelled routes places like El Paso, Midland, DFW and then El Paso, San Antonio, Austin. I would highly recommend this vehicle.

Performance, Style, Comfort

Sunil Asthana, 05/03/2021
1st Edition 4dr SUV (electric DD)

Superbly designed well balanced EV at a good price. Loving the white steering wheel, roomy interior, good acceleration (yes not as good as TESLA), comfortable seats. However would like to have Home-Link as a OEM option and not a add on. Overall great SUV that meets all my expectations for performance and comfort. The additional 7500 federal tax rebate is a plus.

12345...10