2018 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RAV4 Hybrid model:

Compact SUV but Jam packed with goodies
By Rob Hudack

2018 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid XLE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

It was a pleasure test driving the Rav4 the other day It was smooth sailing and the gas mileage was great. I want to purchase or lease one however I must wait until a little later for my current lease to expire

MPG vs storage
By rcamero1

2018 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid SE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

We traded a 2008 non-Hybrid RAV4 on this one, and didn't realize how much space we would lose for our camping gear. Not a show-stopper, but a consideration. Comfort and quietness are definitely improved. It's also nice to get 35 mpg on a mixed city/hwy tank, with regular gas. It's underpowered compared to our previous V-6, but not dangerously so, just needs a bit of re-strategizing for getting into freeway traffic. Nice safety features - the radar-controlled cruise control is especially convenient and inobtrusive, as are blind spot warnings, good back-up camera (we didn't get the surround-view, which would be even nicer for parallel parking). However, the heating/airconditioning system is not intuitively obvious, and our dealer wasn't much help - two ways of defrosting, which is better? what does the a.c. light mean, since it comes on whenever the auto feature's engaged, regardless of heat or cooling needed? how do you get just plain fresh air? - those kinds of things need better explanation in the owner's manual (which is a fine publication IF you already know the answer beforehand - otherwise, it's a montage of lawyers' cya cautions, and reads like a longtime owner wrote it, not intended for the new owner at all). Oh, and by the way, if you get the hybrid, it is PROHIBITED to put a trailer hitch on it (you'll void the warranty if you do), so goodbye to rear bike carriers, since they don't make them that will work, at least not on the Hybrid SE model. Oh, and while the styling means you'll confuse it in the parking lot with about a dozen other small SUV manufacturers' models, it looks nice . . . but I miss our full size spare and the unique rear-spare look of the "old RAV4s", ah well, I guess that's just me...

My first Hybrid
By Wayne

2018 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Overall, I think the RAV4 is a great Hybrid SUV. The ride is smooth and acceleration adequate. I feel safe driving this car. The view of the road is probably the best I've had out of any car I've owned. Other pluses are the comfortable "fake" leather seats, roomy interior, and advance safety features that come standard. There are some cons I wish Toyota would fix. First is their crappy navigational system and Entune Infotainment system. The maps that come with the car are outdated and it costs over $200 to get new maps installed that are at least 1-2 years old. The infotainment system doesn't support Android Auto. Get with the program and update the software Toyota! The regenerative brakes feel squishy...you have to apply more foot pressure than normal to get the vehicle to slow and stop. Other than those two things, I would highly recommend this vehicle for its fuel economy, reliability, and comfortable/practical driving experience. The AWD comes in handy too in bad weather.

Best Safety Features in Class
By NAS

2018 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid SE 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Perfect for city driving and light utility

Love This SUV!
By Jenny

2018 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited 4dr SUV AWD (2.5L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is our second Toyota hybrid. Gifted our 11 y.o. Camry Hybrid after many miles and zero trouble, so we were interested in another Toyota hybrid. Drove the RAV4-H and loved it, but thought that we should also give the highly acclaimed 2018 CRV a try (we also own a recent CRV). The CRV is an excellent SUV, but we were leery of the long term reliability of a turbo engine and our past Hondas (4) have not lived up to their mpg ratings. Bought a RAV4-H Limited w/Adv. Tech. Package. Very happy with this car, getting 30+ mpg around town, which is only about 10% less than our former Camry-H. Quiet, smooth, comfortable, feels very safe. One significant Con to be aware of is that the Premium JBL Audio is nothing to write home about, mediocre sound at best (the Honda CRV Touring's premium sound system is no better), not worth the extra money. Minor Con, there is only 1 USB, which is tethered to the Entune system, whereas the CRV has lots. Added two Amazon USB adapters, one to the front 12V jack, another to a rear console 12V jack (for rear seat occupants), and all is good. Another minor Con that none of the reviews we read mentioned, the dashboard casts a significant reflection upon the lower part of the windshield in strong sunlight (the CRV has this issue, too). Dashboard mat on order. Other than these minor issues, we love our RAV4-H, especially when driving past our neighbors filling up their SUVs at the local gas station!