2018 Toyota Prius Prime Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2018 Toyota Prius Prime Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Prius Prime model:

My Baby Tesla
By Fred Fahrberger

2018 Toyota Prius Prime Premium 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I only have a few hundred miles on it to this point but so far it has been fantastic, especially with almost 100 miles to the gallon of gas. Did want the leather interior (or soft tex) which is only offered on the Premium or Advanced model. Wanted all the safety features BUT found that the upgrade of $4,000 for the Advanced was more than I was willing to spend and ended up getting the Prime. Great car so far and the styling both inside and out and the federal tax credit really make this car a great value.

Lots of great and a few negative surprises
By David Muerle

2018 Toyota Prius Prime Plus 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my first plug in hybrid after owning two full electric vehicles. Terrific gas millage with over 100 miles per gallon with frequent charging and short trips. The negative is the navigation system is all glitz and no guts. It looks very nice, but lacks basic information on trip time and miles to destination, and the route it chose on my first long distance trip was ridiculous. What I really wanted was to use my Google phone to display on the dash, but Prius does not offer that. The paint is very thin and easily scratched.

Prius prime delivers what I wanted most
By Mike Smith

2018 Toyota Prius Prime Advanced 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

I purchased the PRIUS Prime to add a high MPG auto for the daily commute. So far, I have surpassed the rated MPG and the number of miles in electric mode. My average MPG so far while in hybrid mode is 57 and I have averaged 35 miles in electric mode. It achieves and exceeds exactly what I wanted in fuel economy. Where the PRIUS lacks a bit: it only really has a single zone climate control, the large computer screen gets a lot of glare at certain sun angles and needs the ability to tilt a few degrees to correct for this issue, the sun visor does not extend out when rotated to the door window leaving the sun to still hinder your eyesight, acceleration is a bit slow, when accelerating - the engine is quite loud, and there is very little room in the hatchback for storage.

My Prius Prime Plus -
By Freddie E.

2018 Toyota Prius Prime Plus 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Yes, fuel economy is great. Daily, my commute is 80 miles both ways. My Prime gets approx. 75 mpg. I believe it includes the 30 miles of pure electric. Tank is only 11 gallons but it sure goes a long way. Yeah, I love it. It is true that it is a little noisy at some speeds and road condition, but it doesn't bother me. Acceleration is sufficient. Hitting the Power button when on hybrid power, really gives the car a boost. And the Eco mode, I hardly use it. Eco mode feel like the car has ED - yeah, erectile, ok you get the message. Now, why does the Plus (lowest model) does not have a lock on the electric cord when car is locked? Why is that a feature only on the upper models? Toyota, shame on you. This is also my first CVT car and I like it. Also true that the engine feels like it is straining when powering the car, but that also doesn't bother me. Overall, I am happy with the car. Oh by the way, the hatch doesn't have a release button inside. Why? I really don't know why. And to close the hatch from the outside, most of the time, you need both hands - and I'm a weight lifter. Love it with all the weaknesses.

30 miles of pure EV
By Byoung

The only difference between a 2017 and 2018 is that the infotainment screen sings a melody tone when you start the ignition. After owning a 2017 Prius Prime over 20k miles we traded in for a 2018 Prime just wanted a different color. PP never had one issue and the battery charged to 100% every time at home and at public charging stations.

$35k minus $4.5k federal minus Colorado $5k rebate your looking at around $25k for a top of the line Prius. Sometimes on top of all tax incentives Toyota cash incentives can be upwards of $5k in northwest region in NY and NJ. Google Honda Clarity charging problems and you will see Honda is not quite there yet compared to Toyota. Get off the couch and go buy it already!