Used 2016 Ram Promaster Cargo Van Consumer Reviews - 21 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Ram Promaster Cargo Van Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Promaster Cargo Van model:

Great Platform Poor Durability
By Tony

2016 Ram Promaster Cargo Van 2500 High Roof 3dr Van w/159" Wheelbase (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I own several of these. Very functional vehicle but I would never buy one again. These things have a great design for use, more storage, front wheel drive, better gas mileage, but break down all the time. The worst part is I purchased the 5yr/200k warranty on all of them (9) thinking this would take care of it, however, most dealerships give very little help and sit for days before they can even get looked at. Each dealer has one guy that works on these, maybe two if it is a big dealer. Radiator hose is a 3 day wait. This is a business killer if you have to depend on the vehicle to make money. They eat headlights like crazy, Ram knows there is a problem but does nothing. 2018 big fix was to no longer have daytime running lights and put manual light switch back in. Do yourself a huge favor and get something else. Crazy misdiagnosis repairs all the time. My current problem is a 2018 with 1511 miles, yes just over a 1500 miles. ABS/ECM /service engine lights and power loss. Dealer says.................................It will be a few days before we can look at it. Never again Ram!

Beware
By John

2016 Ram Promaster Cargo Van 3500 High Roof 3dr Van w/Extended Length (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have 4 of these vans. Used for construction related biz. Also own Ford and GM vans. The Dodge Promaster is without a doubt the worst trucks we have ever owned. Mechanical and electrical failures. Cannot keep head lights in them. Also, these front wheel drive trucks do not go through snow or even wet roads. If you put any weight past the rear axle forget it. Front tires wear out fast. We have switched to Ford Transit vans. To early to tell how they will work out. If you buy a Dodge Promaster be sure do buy as much extended warranty as you can afford. You will need it.

Do not purchase
By Miller

Steering rack bad after 60K, goes through headlights(replaced twice each side the past year), last.....threw a rod at 111K. Parts are difficult to find, and expensive when you do. Pretty sad for a $38,000 dollar vehicle.....

3.0 EcoDiesel
By Kelley H

2016 Ram Promaster Cargo Van 2500 High Roof 3dr Van w/136" Wheelbase (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have had very little issues with mine. After reading past reviews, maybe commercial use is too tough for them. Also, if your an employee and don't own it, you drive it like a knocklehead. I use mine for RV and Motorcycle recreational. 1. The tire sensor problem is not known by most people, but when you rotate the fronts to the rear you must decrease the new fronts pressure and increase the rears pressure or the Sensor light will stay on. The rears need more pressure because of sensor receivers for the rear and front location are different because of cargo requirements. 2. The side sliding door handle needs a redesign. If you pull handle in an angle to open instead of pulling straight out before trying sliding it back you will brake plastic lock. Drivers door hinges and headlight failures are related to vibration from the front end. The struts are cheapest Fiat could fine. Don't slam the doors like the old Chevy's and Ford vans. That will break the window operators especially if you door storage if full. Radio issues and backup camera. Just have dealership change the radio out, Its not repairable. Brakes are pain, yes! But Ram owners have know Ram pickups have always had brake wear issues. You want brakes go get a Ford Van. No issues with DEF system yet. So far so good. I would buy another one is I needed. Looks like the V6 engine is the one to stay away from.

After Hours Of Research, I Found The Perfect Van!
By Bob C.

This is my first van of any type. I needed a van/truck for my event lighting business. I needed something I could park on the street in front of my house. I am 5' 11" so I wanted something I could stand-up in. There didn't seem to be a whole lot of choices in the class of vehicle I needed. It was between the Nissan NV, Ford Transit 2500 or the Ram 2500. I didn't like the look of the Nissan NV. Looks too much like an ambulance. I went to a local Ford Dealer and the first Transit 2500 I looked at had a recall notice on it so it couldn't be sold. The dealer didn't have a basic Transit 2500 on the lot but the sales guy called me the next day and said he found one not too far away. In the meantime, I started reading reviews and looking closer at the Transit and there were just too many things like having the parking break in the middle between the two seats and countless breakdown issues that I just did not want any part of. I decided to head down to our local Dodge dealer and look at the Promaster 2500 HIgh Roof. They had one on the lot. I took it for a test drive and really liked it. I got in easy, backup camera and sensors were great. Got it with power mirrors that fold in. Apparently, the dealers order only a few configurations of the van so if you want to build one yourself, they said it would take about 4 months to get. I took advantage of the rebates and got it out the door for around $34,000. It had about $1500 worth of upgrades. I didn't need navigation, floor mats and a bunch of extra stuff. The LED lights would have been nice but I am going to get that aftermarket anyway. The only ridiculous thing I found so far is that the passenger seat doesn't have an armrest. Reall happy with the purchase. I have only had it 4 days now so the good thing is that nothing has fallen off the van yet that I know of! It's big and beautiful... just hope I won't be moving furniture for my friends every weekend :(