Used 2001 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 98 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Long Time Owner (17 years)
By Bob

Good, dependable car.

A lot of problems with the Altima.
By mg25801

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This car has 75,000 miles and has had the alternator replaced twice, motor mounts, struts, tie rod ends, front end bushings replaced to stop a noise that won't go away. The fuel pump and sending unit replaced, power steering unit replaced, AC compressor replaced, and currently it is in the shop to have the intake manifold gasket replaced the second time, due to a flaw from Nissan's design. The alarm goes off randomly and mechanics can't find the problem. Etc., etc., etc. I am to the point I am afraid to drive the car because it breaks down so much.

Most reliable Vehicle I've owned - 267,000 miles
By Nikki

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I received this car as a gift for my high school graduation because I needed a car to get me to and from my community college and work. The car had about 250,000 miles on it when I got it, and I sold it with 267,000 miles. I owned it for about a year and a half. It isn't the best looking car, but it is simple, easy to drive, good on gas, and reliable. The only 2 issues I had was having to replace the brakes which was nothing and I knew it was coming, and I had to replace one of the pipes because in the winter it made a loud, screeching noise. The pipe was a very cheap fix. It has never stalled on me. It is a great car for high school and college students. I wouldn't suggest it to a family because of the size. I really regret selling it but I had no choice given the situation I was in. It is still alive and kicking. The people who own it now go on 4-hour long road trips almost every weekend. If you are looking for a good car for your kids to have to take around, I would highly recommend this. It worked out really nicely for me. I am looking into buying a newer model of this car because I loved mine so much.

stronge car
By milad

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

this car really last for ever it has now 220000 miles and it was back to life again after running on the car without oil it was miracle engine started knock and I thought the engine is went out simply pulled the dip stick was no oil at all bought 4 quart of oil poured in to engine and after 3 minute the engine was back to normal you will never see that in other cars stronge engine reliable and over all good car just check your oil every month or 3 weeks and it will never disappoint you this is my sitaution

Good car to commute!
By Mustafa

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I like that car so much. It has 143k miles on it, still no gasket and/or transmission problems. Besides, it is a great DIY car. There are bunch of videos on YouTube about that car, and the replacement parts are not expensive. Installing the replacements are easy as hell! I have driven that car non-stop 450 miles. The only I would concern about that car is the gas consumption. It consumes a lot for a 2.4 4 cyl car (16/22mpg). You have to be aware of a point: 98-99 and 00-01 altimas are not completely identical (the interior as well); some of the replacements are different, such as shocks.