Used 2001 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 96 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Most reliable Vehicle I've owned - 267,000 miles
By Nikki

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I received this car as a gift for my high school graduation because I needed a car to get me to and from my community college and work. The car had about 250,000 miles on it when I got it, and I sold it with 267,000 miles. I owned it for about a year and a half. It isn't the best looking car, but it is simple, easy to drive, good on gas, and reliable. The only 2 issues I had was having to replace the brakes which was nothing and I knew it was coming, and I had to replace one of the pipes because in the winter it made a loud, screeching noise. The pipe was a very cheap fix. It has never stalled on me. It is a great car for high school and college students. I wouldn't suggest it to a family because of the size. I really regret selling it but I had no choice given the situation I was in. It is still alive and kicking. The people who own it now go on 4-hour long road trips almost every weekend. If you are looking for a good car for your kids to have to take around, I would highly recommend this. It worked out really nicely for me. I am looking into buying a newer model of this car because I loved mine so much.

stronge car
By milad

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

this car really last for ever it has now 220000 miles and it was back to life again after running on the car without oil it was miracle engine started knock and I thought the engine is went out simply pulled the dip stick was no oil at all bought 4 quart of oil poured in to engine and after 3 minute the engine was back to normal you will never see that in other cars stronge engine reliable and over all good car just check your oil every month or 3 weeks and it will never disappoint you this is my sitaution

Good car to commute!
By Mustafa

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I like that car so much. It has 143k miles on it, still no gasket and/or transmission problems. Besides, it is a great DIY car. There are bunch of videos on YouTube about that car, and the replacement parts are not expensive. Installing the replacements are easy as hell! I have driven that car non-stop 450 miles. The only I would concern about that car is the gas consumption. It consumes a lot for a 2.4 4 cyl car (16/22mpg). You have to be aware of a point: 98-99 and 00-01 altimas are not completely identical (the interior as well); some of the replacements are different, such as shocks.

Love my Alti
By Jared Rella

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My older sister got a newer car and gave me her 2001 Altima GXE for my first car. I've had it for about 3 months and I love it. It currently has a bit over 165k miles on it. Exterior wise it's bland and blends in very easily with traffic but it doesn't look bad. The 155 horses seem to work hard and get the job done. If I push the pedal down on the highway it picks up and has quite a bit of pep in its step. It has a brake light out, a broken seal on the front axle, and a valve cover leak but I think the valve cover problem was from my sister abusing the car. So far I'm perfectly happy and impressed with it!

***Update: Almost two years and over 30k miles later, I finally got a new car. I really loved my Altima but at 196k miles and after being thoroughly used for 15 years it was getting worn out. The drivetrain is still fine and it still runs great but the exhaust system was all rotted and it started leaking oil. I hope my 2005 Camry will prove to be a worthy replacement.

I love this car!
By jt041196

2001 Nissan Altima GXE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I got my license in August 2013 and I immediately began shopping for a used car, when I found this one for $4000 at a used car dealership with only 93,522 miles on it! I was sold! Since then I've gotten it up to 95,993 miles and it's been my mobile best friend since I purchased it, and I've been lucky enough to jazz it up with new air fresheners, a New York Yankees license plate frame, sports decals and fun bumper stickers.

There are so many things I love about this car, it's hard to pick a favorite. For starters, it's really simple to drive and operate, which is good for people like me. It's great on gas, I find myself being able to use a full tank in over a week which is good for being a commuter. All of my friends have praised the comfy, roomy interior with the soft cloth seats and the abundance of cup holders, and I agree with them. It's just a great car to drive and I recommend it to anyone!