Used 2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV Consumer Reviews - 13 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific i-MiEV model:

Excellent city car/second car
By A J

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

I have owned the car for more than a year now and driven over 10,000 miles. Bought it used and got a great deal on it. After a couple issues that were resolved under warranty (long time at dealership due to parts availability). However, they gave me something else to drive for free so no major complaints. It is a basic car which serves it purpose well, for around town car and for small drives. I do not take it on the highway or long trips. Charge it overnight with the OEM charger and lasts me couple days due to short commute and occasional trips to the grocery store. Using the heat in winter causes about 30% dip in the weather, including defrosting the car while plugged in with the remote. The car has a good getup and go from stop, however not the best handling in slightly bad weather. I installed winter tires and survived just fine. The heated driver seat is extremely hot and I rarely use it. The car gets a lot of attention and comments. It is our primary car and have saves us a lot of trips to the gas station. Seats are very basic and not comfortable for long rides or bumpy roads, the storage space is very minimal; however rear seats fold flat. I have driven 72 miles with 6 miles left on the guess-o-meter.

My experiment with the electric car just that
By DocJr.

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

If San Diego Gas and Electric is your utility, then this review applies. I was one of the first adopters in my S. O'side neighborhood. As I am a huge Mitsubishi fan (I have two others), and, since an electric car was an experiment, and no used ones available yet in my local area, I took a plunge on the $12K (you can get a $7,500 Fed tax rebate and a $2,500 California credit) 2012 Mitsu (Leaf was at least 5K more) I got from out-of-state. But even with the special SDG&E EV rates (which require you to charge only at night or pay a penalty), I am averaging 20 miles/$. The (albeit ugly) Mitsu Mirage gets 50 mpg which at the current (temporarily low?) price of $3/gallon, works out to 16 miles/$. But here's the deal breaker. At around 30K miles, my range is down about 10%. I figure by 40K miles (next year sometime), the car will be not worth keeping unless Mitsu honors the battery warranty. Since a replacement battery is $10K (or so), and the car is worth around $4K on Craigs List now, my car has depreciated around (I bought it in 2013) $2K/year. I figure I am saving $195 (difference between a years gas at today's prices in the Mirage vs. the i-MiEV electricity cost). I looked at used Mirages, and they depreciate less, and, are able to get you to work and back after 40K miles. I wonder what California will do with all of the 4 and 5 year old electric cars that are just now trickling into junk yards (Leaf battery exchange is ONLY $5,500-parts only). Will I buy another electric? Heck ya, but let's see how the 200-mile latest and greatest (Chevy Bolt or Tesla Model 3) holds-up first. Sometime in 2018, I'll have to switch to driving my Mitsu SUV to work. One last thing, there are so many electric cars in S. Calif. now that the carpool isn't any faster when traffic is at it's worst.

Jan 2018 update: Just hit 30K and my range is down 20%. I am just able to make it to work and back. Car still looks great. Too bad some third party doesn't make battery replacements.

great alternative to nissan leaf
By Jack

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Does the same thing as Nissan's leaf but costs less and has more headroom

A used one is the greatest secret in cars.
By genec

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV ES 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Mitsubishi just upped their warranty on the battery to 10 years, 100,000 miles. If you can score a used Miev for under $10k and under 10k miles, you will have achieved something really valuable. All-electric cars have many less parts than a gas engine care counterpart, so expect much less in terms of repairs/maintenance. That's a dirty little secret about electric cars and the reason that car dealers don't push them, dealerships make 3 times the money in maintenance than they do in car sales.
So, beat the system and get an electric. And if you get a solar array on your house or in your backyard you will be transporting yourself using sunlight as your fuel source. How cool is that?
Oh yeah, there is no sales tax on used electrics. I saved another $700 that way.

Best kept secret in the USA electric car market
By carefulbuyer4

2012 Mitsubishi i-MiEV SE 4dr Hatchback (electric DD)

Had this car for nearly two years 10,000 miles. Better than expected. At the price, if Mitsubishi and its dealers had a clue how to sell these it should be the best selling EV in the USA. Worldwide there are more of these on the road (and have been on the road years longer) than any other commercial serious electric car.
In my opinion, if you're shopping for an electric car in the under $33K range if you're lucky enough to be able to find one of these you'd do well to grab it. The demand is low because of lack of public knowledge of this car, but so is supply.

Price. Reliability. Quietness. Actual economy (my actual out of pocket electrical charging cost for driving this works out to being equivalent to owning a gasoline car that gets 330miles per gallon. Cost may be higher a bit depending on how much electricity costs where you live. No oil changes. No fuel system. No exhaust system. No ignition system. On an electric car what's NOT here (and therefore can't go wrong or need servicing is as important as what's there.) Hundred of mechanical parts and other systems gas cars use simply don't exist in EVs.

A few more inside storage compartments. And the sound system (the base model has no Bluetooth) should at least have an audio input jack.) Most important improvement is Mitsubishi needs to learn how to advertise and promote this car in the USA. For drivers over 5 foot 11 inches the drivers seat needs to be able to slide back further.