Used 2012 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews - 15 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 MINI Cooper Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cooper model:

Journey of the Black Pearl.
By Bob Morand

2012 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Bought new, have loved it! I'm retired and have babied her, never been over 4500 rpms. Oil chg between scheduled times! Great car for someone. Extras, K&N filter, JCW strut brace, legal mod. pipes! Rear seat has never been up!

Never Again
By Stephen Schmidt

2012 MINI Cooper S 2dr Convertible (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

New timing chain 17,000 miles, Check Engine light on CONSTANTLY, new high pressure fuel pump 35000 miles. Out of warranty, with only 48000 miles, told it needs new engine $12,000. Maintenance kept to schedule. But MINI generosity, offered $1500 off new car (trade-in should be around $9,000). NEVER have I had a car that was this bad. Would give it a 0 for reliability and value if it were possible. Spent more time in the shop than on the road.

2012 Base Mini, Manual Trans, Lemon
By Kevin

2012 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I traded in my trouble plagued 2002 Mini, for what I thought was a major upgrade. I purchased my 2012 Base Model Mini with manual transmission last Aug. with 31,000 miles. While driving down to my favorite eatery, shifting from 1st to 2nd shifter know came off in my hand. I managed to replace it and continued on. A couple of days later a aprox. 32,000 miles I began to notice a clatter from the engine at first start up in the morning, during the next few weeks it became progressively worse. I took it to the local Mini dealer and was informed the clatter was the clutch failing. Being a mechanic for 40 plus years I called BS, told them to keep the car for a cold start test the next day. Low and behold it was determined the timing chain was at fault, these engines apparently have chain tensioners prone to failure. The timing chain was replaced along with tensioners and gears. The dealer Seattle Mini stuck by their story that my clutch was failing and would be 2400.00 to replace, but offered me an extended warranty that would cover the clutch for 1895.00. What a way to cover the cost of the warranty work. About 2 weeks after having the work down, the engine began to misfire badly, had it towed to the dealer, they replaced the coil packs for the ignition, and spark plugs and wires. So here we are today, 41,102 miles, the engine is beginning to clatter again from the exact same location. Under warranty to 50,000 miles. Soon as it gets worse to justify the warranty work and before 50,000 miles back in again for another timing chain, followed by a quick trade in for another car, not MINI. Oh and did I mention that Seattle Mini tried the whole your clutch is failing routine on me a 2nd time with offer of the extended warranty when I took it in for the Misfire problem I mentioned earlier. By the way the clutch still works perfect, however the manual transmission has always been clunky when shifting, the transition from 1st to 2nd requires a firm pull, it also has no reverse lock out, on 2 separate occasions I have been at a light and forgot to downshift into first, while quickly doing so as to not block traffic, it went into reverse. Luckily caught it before I hit someone behind me. Been driving manual for years.

It's an okay car
By Daniel

2012 MINI Cooper 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 6M)

I purchased the car brand new and owned it for almost two years. I never had any problems with it. It definitely had some cons which lead to me selling it. When it rains it is impossible to enter the car without a gallon entering with you, poor design. The AC is below average and makes a lot of noise. The Bluetooth was terrible, the other party could hear everything. It also had its pros. I was getting 38 mpg mixed driving , it was a manual. It was fun to drive and very easy to park. I never had one issue with it on the 2 years of ownership. It was a fun car, but I couldn't stand the cons.

2012 R58
By bcz

2012 MINI Cooper S 2dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

A more accurate description is a 12' S Coupe w/ automatic and LOADED. Bought this car in December 2011 and have driven 42k miles so far. I am a commuter from a rural area into a college town and was looking for an economy car, but not one that was underpowered or cheap. This is likely to be the brand I stick with for awhile, they are SO fun to drive and cannot be beat in city traffic (only two wheels have it better). It feels safe because you know that the car has very respectable handling and power to get you around, and deal with occasional poor drivers on the open roads. Rather expensive based on size alone, it has taken the miles and years of ownership to gain a greater appreciation.