2021 Mercedes-Benz GLS-Class Consumer Reviews

$76,000

Compare dealer price quotes
Select your model:

Pros
Cons
5 out of 5 stars

4.74 Stars, Almost perfect, but...

Jay Poocha, 03/23/2021
GLS 450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 9A)

Over the years, we have owned many Luxury SUVS and a few mini-vans. We purchased a 2021 GLS 450 in early November 2020. As of today, we have driven 25,402 miles! That's not a typo. In a very short period of time, we have discovered the strengths and weaknesses of the GLS. The strengths: 1. Overall comfort, especially the front seats, is awesome. 2. The added massaging seats is a nice option (get it, you won't be disappointed on long trips). 3. The ride is smooth on the highway and around town; however, I prefer to use the individualized setting option for the sports suspension on the highway to firm up the ride, otherwise it can be a tad floaty. I prefer a stiffer, more controlled ride. 4. Passing is done with ease at speed; however the 450 holds gears a bit long when rapidly accelerating. It eventually finds its place after a brief struggle. Not bad, but not perfect. After driving 25K in a very short period of time, I would like MB to strongly consider improving a few areas in the cabin: 1. The cell phone ports (only usb c type) must be better placed. They are extremely difficult to plug cords into, plus need some type of ambient lighting to see at night. The wireless charging pad is a pain in the rear to use with a case on a telephone. The space is extremely tight. This must be corrected at some point. The power outlet in the second row is horribly placed. In fact, MB get a F- for its placement, and another F for the amount of space allocated for any charging bases larger than standard size. Just the worst of anything we have ever owned. Outside of these minor issues, my wife wishes MB would add a place for cellphones besides the cupholders or wireless charger area. This is an obvious deign oversight. Second row comfort in the captain's chairs is good, but I would strongly considering getting it with the bench in the future for the center armrest. Although the captain's seats are comfortable, again MB needs to add more places for storage. The third row works for smaller adults and children. We occasionally use it, it works for the occasional trip when are children are traveling with us. The real trick is placement of luggage; three suitcases and a duffle is tight - this requires folding one of the third row seats flat. Although not ideal, it works. For ultimate convenience, I would suggest either a Cadillac ESV or, bite my tongue - a fully loaded Chrysler Pacifica. Having owned both these other vehicles, I can say luggage space is rarely an issue. This leads me to my final thoughts on the GLS, I really like it a lot, its almost perfect except for the few issues I outlined. If MB can address the charging issues, phone placement issues and tweak the trans on shifting on the middle range when accelerating, it is hands down a superior SUV for long trips, daily comfort and drivability around town. It feels rock sold on the highway and does extremely well in rain. If you desire luxury, a very solid feeling ride, solid handling and decent MPG (I'm averaging about 23 MPG) I highly recommend the GLS.

2 out of 5 stars

Electrical gremlins

Bill, 06/30/2021
GLS 450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 9A)

We recently bought a 2021 GLS 450. The warning systems work some of the time, but not consistently. We had all the driver assist features malfunction so into the dealer. They found a severed sensor wire which Mercedes said normally wouldn't be covered (The car had 1800 miles on it), but they decided to cover it anyway. Sometimes we get an audible parking assist warning sometimes we don't. My wife managed to back it into another car and never got a warning. I understand it was her fault for relying on the back up warnings, but it is so unreliable that it is really useless. We have had multiple cars with parking assist and never had any problems. It was inspected after the fender bender by the dealer , but they couldn't find any issues. They gave us Mercedes Benz USA contact info. We have collected multiple videos of the system not working to show the Mercedes rep. When we called MB USA, they were confused as to why we were calling them and told us that there are plenty of warnings not to trust the system. Great! Does that mean we shouldn't trust the adaptive cruise or any of the lane assist features? What is the point of having these systems if they don't work. Add in to those issues the incredibly loud drivetrain (also checked by dealer, but told it was normal due to high pressure system like a diesel), I can't recommend this car. It's nice when it works, but no better than competing vehicles. Stay away.

3 out of 5 stars
3 out of 5 stars

Not good

Captain, 06/20/2021
GLS 450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 9A)

Purchased new 2021 GLS 450 $92000, the SUV is in the shop more than in my garage. Major computer dash problems. After 4 attempts, they can’t solve the problems. MY SUGGESTION!! Stay away from the GLS 450 SUV. It’s legal action time.

My favorite gas GLS yet

Mercedeslady, 10/16/2021
GLS 450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 9A)

This is my third MB SUV. I previously owned a 2017 GLS450 and a 2013 GL350 diesel. I would buy another diesel if they still made them but of the gas models, this one is best. The issues I have are first, with the black plastic around the wheel wells. I hate that, it looks like something that would be on a Honda Pilot. I realize I could avoid that by getting the 580 or the AMG model but I did want to spend $30+ grand to avoid some chepo plastic, I shouldn't have to. Hopefully that goes away with subsequent models. The other issue, I had with my 2017 also, is stinky air conditioning system. Mercy, it smells like gym socks. There is a class action lawsuit for the 2017 so hopefully that will compel them to come up with a fix and apply it to the new ones too. It smells like a new vehicle when it's cool and a locker room when it's hot. An $80k+ vehicle should not have this issue. Apart from these two things, the car handles and drives great for such a big vehicle. It hauls all that we need and the V6 has sufficient power. My husband drives an AMG GLE and it's quicker but the power mine has is sufficient for me. I agree with the previous reviewer about the Driver Assistance package and the massage seats. Great additions especially for road trips. I have had it a year and it has functioned properly the whole time. If Mercedes gets rid of the black plastic and figures out how to keep their AC fresh, I will buy a fourth when I am ready for a new vehicle.

Utility wrapped in Luxury

LW Perry, 06/17/2021
GLS 450 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo gas/electric hybrid 9A)

The redesigned GLS is truly a spacious, luxurious SUV. The 450 has plenty of power and refinement for totally enjoyable driving. The turning radius is extraordinary, and makes for easy parking. Drives smaller and more nimble then it’s size. So far, I’m very happy with this SUV. I upsized from an Audi Q7 and while I loved my Audi, this size was a better fit. Well done Mercedez.