Used 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class Coupe Consumer Reviews - 5 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class Coupe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GLE-Class Coupe model:

10 months into it and can’t be happier
By GTrue17

2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class Coupe AMG GLE 63 S 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (5.5L 8cyl Turbo 7A)

I have been driving this vehicles for 6000 miles in the last 4 months. It's an amazing vehicle to get the family safely around town in safety, comfort, and style yet still adequate enough for long road trips. Trunk fits 2 large samsonite suitcases and two small suitcases with room to spare. The suitcase test was my final test since we travel a lot! I can't begin to explain how amazing the performance is on this vehicle. The Torque is amazing. Press on the gas and it goes at any RPM. Put it in Sports mode, and you can nimbly get around. Put it in Sport Plus mode and you can rock the house. It's especially fun going into tunnels and under bridges as you, BAP BAP and echo we get anyone driving and texting look up finally! It's a crazy vehicle, but amazingly safe with all the great features of Mercedes. Quality is second to none. I was shocked a vehicle out of Alabama would come out so well. Keep in mind the Engine is hand built by an individual in Affalterbach Germany and the Transmission also comes from Germany. 7 Speed is perfect for this engine, and I couldn't bare a 9-speed on this beautiful and sensual engine. My second row didn't come with Side Seat airbags for some reason. It wasn't a custom order, but I thought they all did. Look out for that if it's important to you and makes sense for your passengers' age. I'm fine without it because the kids will be in car seats for a few more years. Also, its a gas guzzler, but the Coasting feature will actually disengage the engine from the axle, so it's smooth sailing when you let go of the gas, and you make up for 2-3 miles per gallon easy.

Update 10k into the vehicle. The car continues to be awesome. Just be ready to pay the price for tires every 10k-15k. It’s well worth it though. No other SUV can come close to the performance and handling. It continues to def physics and very safe.

Also you need to buy winter wheels/tires for very cold climates. No snow tires for the 325’s on the rear.

Nice Vehicle But Many Annoyances
By John S.

The vehicle is fun to drive -- it accelerates fast, handles fast, steers and brakes well, gets reasonable gas mileage, and is quiet and comfortable inside. Unfortunately several design details are pure nonsense and detract from enjoyment of this vehicle: (1) The exhaust outside the car sounds absolutely horrible, like a diesel truck except it's not a diesel (but thankfully it IS quiet inside the vehicle); (2) the blind-spot detection system cuts off below 20 mph (WHY???), so it's useless when you are in a slow-moving traffic jam; (3) the lane-keeping system is overly sensitive and frequently "jerks" the wheel back, which is scary and almost caused an accident because it so surprised my son when he drove the vehicle; (4) the memory seats aren't linked to your key and don't automatically move to the proper position, so you have to hold the memory button down for 30 seconds every time you change drivers (WHY???); and (5) the navigation system is the worst we have ever encountered (we've had four cars before this). It's incredibly hard to enter information -- the voice control gets confused; writing with your finger is hard; and the wheel keeps jumping back and forth between lines and lists. For example, the voice system simply refuses to recognize me saying "Las Vegas" no matter how many times I say it or how clearly I enunciate it. Really. There are so few towns here, how does it get "Reno" when I said "Las Vegas"? Oh, and once you enter the address, it asks you to "continue" and you think the route guidance has started ... WRONG! You still have to press "Start" and many times I've lost all my work by forgetting this and clicking something else. In short, by the time you get the address entered, you've already arrived. The map also doesn't display your next turn or the distance to the turn until you're practically on it, when it's too late. Using an iPhone is MUCH easier. And yes, we've been back to Mercedes on these issues, and that's just the way it's designed.

Sports SUV? Yes!
By John S.

2016 Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class Coupe GLE 450 AMG 4MATIC 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 9A)

We bought the GLE Coupe because my wife wanted an SUV to sit up high, but she didn't want to look like a soccer mom, and she liked the styling better than the BMW X6. I went along with it because the cargo area and back seat are still pretty big and this thing really does act like a big sports car. The acceleration, braking, and steering are excellent, but what's surprising is that this thing handles on-ramps and sharp turns like a Ferrari and is very nimble in parking lots. We've also been very pleased with the interior quality. The seats are very comfortable, even the back seat, and the materials, electronics, and controls are all first rate. The blind spot detection system works better than my BMW 435i and the maps and menus are all clear and fairly easy to use. The one and only thing I hate is the sound of the engine on the OUTSIDE. The inside of the car is pleasantly quiet, but it sounds like an old diesel truck on the outside. It's one of the most UNpleasant sounding exhausts I have ever heard. The solution is to always keep the windows rolled up, but it's irritating to have to do so. If Mercedes is smart, they'll change that muffler design ASAP. I'd much rather lose a few HP and have a pleasant sounding exhaust than listen to this racket in the garage.

For someone that likes a big sporty vehicle
By Bill Proestler

I traded in a 2013 ML for the GLE Coup. This is great for someone that likes a large sporty vehicle for safety and comfort reasons, but doesn't care about the actual utility. That's why I also have a truck.
I find that the GLE Coup with the 362 HP engine, has plenty of acceleration compared to my old ML 350. Also, the adjustable air suspension provides a more comfortable ride in the comfort mode. There is less body lean on the curves and less back and forth movement on uneven roads, typical of a higher riding SUV. When the sport or sport plus mode is selected, it completely changes the characteristic of the vehicle. I think most people will keep it in the comfort mode, which is the default. It's quiet on the road with minimal tire noise, despite the 21" wheels. The engine sound is tuned to give it a sporty character, but I would prefer it not to intrude into the cabin during acceleration. But this is more of a personal preference. The quality of the interior and exterior is top notch. The overall design is great and it is definitely gets noticed. UPDATE as of 8/17 the vehicle now has 28,000 on it, with no problems. The interior still looks new with little or no signs of wear. The 21" tires will probably need replacement in about 10,000 miles, which is normal especially when rotation is not an option. The resale value is also excellent, better than normal compared to other vehicles in this category.

Good car when you need to trade in your Coupe
By Naeem

I had to trade in my Audi s5 to fit a car seat and this has given me the comfort and speed that the Audi provided with minimal PCSD (post child stress disorder) after trading in my beloved sports car