Used 2018 Mercedes-Benz E-Class Consumer Reviews

Used E-Class for Sale
Select your model:
12345...8

Pros
Cons

4th E - the Best

Vic, 02/04/2018
E 400 Sport 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 9A)

Our 4th E-class (04, 10,14). Held out for the V-6 and it's worth the extra cost: smooth, great sound, awesome power, unbelievably responsive for a turbo yet fairly economical. Returned nearly 30 mpg on a recent trip and the engine is still learning to work with itself - breaking-in and loosening-up. The car reeks class and comfort. Like all E's, it feels like it's been carved out of a single block of metal. Infotainment takes a little getting used to, but the logic makes sense once you learn it.

The Worst or Nothing

Judelbug, 01/19/2020
AMG E 63 S 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.0L 8cyl Turbo 9A)

Mercedes-Benz USA calls itself “The Best or Nothing.” If you read my review, you make the decision: Best? or Nothing? My wife and I live in Southern Pines, NC. We saved and used a stack of our hard-earned scratch to purchase a new 2018 Mercedes-Benz e63s, an AMG (performance division) Mercedes-Benz. It was to be the car of our dreams, one we would keep forever and ever. At 2K miles, it lost power at 35 mph. We thought it was probably a computer glitch and would clear up by itself. It did -- until 3,600 miles rolled up – then it happened again. The M-B dealer said it was a cam shaft problem. It took almost three weeks to repair and return the car to us. At 4k miles, while we were travelling, we had similar trouble and checked the car into a M-B dealership. This time, the work order said one of the car’s cylinders had been working improperly. At 4,727 miles, back went the car – a charcoal canister had a hose disconnected. At 10,780 miles, my wife and I were in the car, again away from home. The car began running raggedly, as if it were shuddering, trembling, freezing to death; plus, a warning message said, “Brake Assist Malfunctioning.” The car limped us back to our home. The dealership said two of the cylinders were not working properly. We reported these problems to M-B’s customer “service,” but the most we’ve gotten in response is a call from an “executive” to commiserate with us and say he certainly hoped nothing more happened. Barely a day passed before something more happened. At about 10,900 miles, the car began flashing successive warning messages: “Brake Assist Malfunctioning”; “Blind-spot Assist Inoperable”; “Distance Assist Inoperable”; plus, the cruise control simply dropped dead, stopped working, completely. Thankfully, we were only about 20 miles from home; we said various prayers that nothing more happened while returning to our home, like maybe the steering going haywire or whatever. We contacted a M-B dealership numerous times, both my email and phone and finally a lady called to say they could come get the car in about two weeks. So the car is now our garage queen, waiting on M-B to decide that we just might need more than empathy. One thing is for sure, to us, this is not a big concern with M-B and we feel they have had zero regard for our safety or the safety of other motorists that might have been confronted by our malfunctioning vehicle. Our $120k car of our dreams is a rolling safety hazard and the lemon of our nightmares. But you be the judge: “The Best”? or “Nothing”?

Two strikes, you're out

Mike McLaughlin, 03/13/2018
AMG E 43 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 9A)

In less than 1,800 miles, this car died on the road. Twice. Once on a 70 mph freeway, needed a 50 mile tow. Quite scary as I could barely coast to the shoulder. Second time in the middle of a busy intersection. The first dealer definitely says it was fixed. The second dealer is equally sure that it's fixed. But both blamed the ECM. Well, twice is too many times for me. I've been a member of AAA for over 30 years, never needed a tow. Until twice last month, and that's enough for me. Maybe this car is a lemon. Or maybe it's not! I wrote and called Mercedes Benz USA head office ... but no compensation ... apparently they don't think the problem is all that bad. It drives great ... whenever it's not actually waiting for a tow truck. One nitpick ... the exhaust note is really loud. So anyway I'm trading it in. Losing some money on this but it's too risky to keep. No doubt this car will be popular with some set of buyers. Not me though.

This one is for me

Terry B., 06/11/2019
E 400 2dr Coupe (3.0L 6cyl Turbo 9A)

I bought the E400 coupe almost a year ago. It's been great. More power than my 2016 E350 sedan and a little sportier in cornering. The ride is a little harder I think due to the sport package but I love the car. The navigation is flawless but you have to make sure there is light background noise when you speak to set it. My old one didn't have voice control for the navigation so you had to stop the car and set it manually. This is so much more intuitive. Th nav has rescued me whan I tried to use my phone on Google maps. Google has gotten me lost or misdirected so I never depend on it. The Mercedes computer has been great. I can read and send text messages by voice control which is great because, one of my pet peeves was getting text messages while I'm driving. I used to have to pull over to deal with them. The ambient lighting is nice and doesn't distract me, I can also sit and watch You Tube (not that I do) but others might appreciate it. I have heated and ventilated front seats and who knew I would really like it and use it (mostly ventilating as I live in Calif and I run alittle warm anyway). The console phone charger is so easy. I just place my phone in the pocket and it auto charges. Oh, and the massaging front seats actually have been nice. I wouldn't have ordred that but actually use it, especially on long drives. It's light but that works for me. The main reason I bought it is because it's BEAUTIFUL! I am constantly getting comments about it. Yesterday in traffic, a guy in a Lexus SUV next to me yelled out in traffic " Hey nice, very sexy car " and gave me thumbs up. ( my sentiments exactly) Mine is white and I think is compliments the car. Everyone who sits in the back seat tells me how comfotable it is. Getting out is easier then older models because the front seats move forward automatically. (Easier, not easy). I only have one complaint, and that is the lack of rear window controls for the back seat passengers. Love the car and in three years will be sorry to see it go. Onward and upward though.

DO NOT BUY - LEMON

Benjamin Thonar, MD, 12/28/2018
AMG E 63 S 4MATIC 4dr Sedan AWD (4.0L 8cyl Turbo 9A)

First, it should be noted that I would never imagine having to write this. I am a medical director and have no hidden agenda by conveying this information; however, I must... I have NEVER been more dissatisfied with a product. I thought I was an AMG driver for life; however, since leasing my 2018 E63 SL AMG, the car has been a disaster! My radiator has literally "blown-up" on 3 separate occasions. Each time, the car was in the shop for over a month. Constantly told "radiator is on back order" which makes me think I am not the only one to have experienced this problem. Always occurs when driving on highway and somehow run over some small object (causing no damage to exterior of car); then "check coolant/engine" light comes on and within minutes car shuts down. Now, most recently, my car was determined to be a Total loss from Progressive insurance after something kicked-up on highway through driver/rear tire - did so much damage to undercarriage that car was totaled. To clarify, NO external damage to car. I am convinced there is a flaw with this year/model. Prior to this car, I drove a 2016 E63 SL AMG and never had a problem. Mercedes cut weight between models in attempt to make faster and in the process removed the previously placed protection to underside/undercarriage. The final conclusion of an independent investigation conducted by Progressive Insurance was that "Mercedes made a horrible car never intended to drive on California's highways". I have also never been treated in such a horrendous matter as by AMG/Mercedes Customer Service/Executive Care team. Please share similar issues with this year/model. - Former AMG-for-life driver.

12345...8