Used 2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific MX-5 Miata model:

Great Fun Factor
By Mark D

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently sold a 2013 Camaro SS with a 6 speed stick. Even though I loved the car I found it spent most of the time in the garage. Wife wanted a convertible and talked me into buying this 2006 Mazda MX-6 Miata automatic with 23000 miles. Huge difference between the Camaro and the Mazda. I have to admit the Mazda is a blast to drive and handles superbly. The car is hard to drive without having a smile on your face. The 160hp engine is peppy and I keep wishing I had gotten the 5 or 6 speed manual as I think I’d enjoy it much more. My wife is happy with the automatic. I also keep thinking how much more I would enjoy it if it had about 50 more hp. As far as fun factor the car is hard to beat. The cabin seems very noisy and I do not believe the car would be good for very long road trips. For a weekend fun car it is fantastic.

Fun retirement toy
By Peter Borzilleri

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Great car for warm weather.

believe the hype! this car delivers!
By Ruben

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

had this car for 6 yrs and drove almost 40K numerous road trips. the car is a blast, yes. the hype is totally deserved. and it has nothing to do with its acceleration or comfort. and everything to do with its sublime drivetrain, steering, and shifting - all of which are incredibly tight and responsive. and its no-fuss demeanor and its super fun factor when taking the top down. very few cars turn as willingly and as precisely as the Miata when one engages the steering. it's as if the car anticipated the driver's commands. same thing for the gas pedal and the engine - everything is so responsive, so immediate. it creates a general feel of being in control, and tis in turns, makes the car more precise, faster, and more fun to drive. don't expect a comfortable daily commuter or a drag racer or highway statesman. this car is designed for the week-ender and the backroad explorer. and no one does these best than the Miata (and it can still be used as a daily commuter, though that is not its primary purpose).

Great car. fun and fuel efficient
By Bobby

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Touring 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car last Thanksgiving from Florida (Im in Houston, TX). Honesty, I was quite disappointed the moment I saw it (I owned 99 miata 5-spd before) because some dings and paint on steering wheel (I dont know what that is for). idle rpm was too high (~1200). Dealer on ebay said it was a well maintained car. Some small plastic body parts missing (it's not expensive from dealer). After I changed all fluids, oil and filters the second day. The idle rpm back to 750. The driving of this machine is still incredible in handling and smooth acceleration. It gets more power than NB. 60 mph is about 2800 rpm. 70 mph is about 3300 rpm. The little one is extremely reliable. I have put 17000 miles on the clock. Not a single problem. Top down noise reduces a lot in this generation. Super easy and fast to operate the soft top. Im so happy to have this car.

Best sunny day distraction ever!
By Run Joe

2006 Mazda MX-5 Miata Sport 2dr Convertible (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Danger: this car will make you skip a day at the office! I used it as a daily commuter until I found myself calling in sick because I took some little side road to nowhere and found it so much fun I didn't want to come back. Its small, light, extremely maneuverable and fun to drive. It is not too fast off the line, but once you're rolling, if the road involves a curve, there's not much out there that you can't keep up with or outright surpass. The 6 speed gearbox has short throws and is pretty precise. This is a car for actively aware driving, not for passive marginally attentive drivers for whom transportation is simply a means to get from point A to point B while doing something else like applying makeup or holding a phone or coffee in your hands. Great for the autocross or just all day romps through back country roads to nowhere. You won't want a GPS in this car cause its built for getting lost in. Just take a cute girl and a picnic basket. Money for the motel is advised too. The top goes down on warm days with a flip of the wrist (manual soft top). It's replacement last year was my single biggest repair ever for this car. You might do better with a garage. The car has AC but I seldom use it. Heat works great on colder days. Power windows were standard on this year. The back window is glass, not plastic and has a defroster. Next biggest expense is tires simply because the car encourages you to drive like that. Mine came with Michelin Pilots and they work really really well. If the car must see snow, I highly recommend a second set of rims shod with good snow tires. Well worth the investment! Almost as much fun in the snow as on dry summer pavement, except you won't want the top down. The top does not interfere with trunk space. Things like golf clubs, skateboards, rifles, overhead compartment sized luggage or lots of groceries fit nicely, but the 55inch flat screen TV I bought for Christmas one year had to be strapped to the top of the trunk lid. Don't even consider that this car has room for a spare, not even a doughnut. I carry a tire plug repair kit and a small electric pump. I am 5'7" tall with a 32" inseam and fit very comfortably. Think of this car as something you wear. It communicates the road to your senses like few others. If you are much taller than, say 5'11", or have wide hips or shoulders, or like taking long boring interstate highway journeys in a cushy couch-mobile, you might want to shop for something else.

5-16-2018
Exhaust rusted through just behind the catalytic converter. Replacing the entire thing from motor to muffler with something more aggressive, probably from Good Win Racing or the like. Suspension and brake upgrades will follow shortly thereafter. Still a great solid little car.