Used 2016 Lexus RX 450h Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Lexus RX 450h Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific RX 450h model:

Making Lemonade With This Lexus Lemon
By Mike Tinsley

2016 Lexus RX 450h 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Hopefully, the problems I've had are unique. At 1438 miles, had to replace the fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel gauge and brake pump booster; in shop 21 days. At 10,019 miles, scheduled lift gate recall repair and oil change; took 45 days to get part and second trip to dealer for installation of part. At 12067 miles, replaced leaking transaxle oil seal. At 20,140 miles, replaced same leaking transaxle oil seal for second time and replaced transaxle itself. According to my service adviser, the transaxle was scored and was a factory defect; took 6 days to receive part. At 20,153 miles, the air conditioner on the driver's side quit (I live in Texas and the temp was still near 100); took 16 days to get damper servo so it could be repaired. On one occasion, the radio was on, but no sound would emit regardless of what I tried; restarting the engine caused it to work again. On one occasion, several warning lights flashed, but I couldn't tell which ones they were since I was driving. I've been driving a Lexus hybrid for almost 4 years, and know how to start it. About 20% of the time, I have to try a second time to start the car. None of the electrical problems created an error code and the service department can't replicate them. Fortunately, I leased the car, and it will be returned at the end of the lease. My wife and I really wanted to keep this car (I even flew at my expense from Dallas to San Antonio to get it as it was exactly what we wanted and was the only one of its kind in North America), but it's been far too unreliable for us to do so. I'm grateful all these problems have been handled under warranty, and I'm grateful that the dealer always provides a quality loaner for us to use when our car is in the shop.

AWESOME RX
By Jules

2016 Lexus RX 450h 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is my 3rd Lexus SUV and it is stunning, superb, outstanding quality! Mine was a SPO and I waited 7 1/2 months before taking ownership. Well worth the wait!!

New RX 450h awesome!
By arex

2016 Lexus RX 450h 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

Purchase option makes more sense. Lease program for this vehicle not as good compared to Lexus RX 350...

hybrid rules
By lou fine

2016 Lexus RX 450h 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

excellent ride and comfort.

Okay - get real, this is a soccer Mom's car.
By rky

2016 Lexus RX 450h F SPORT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)

This is not a Porsche, BMW, Audi, nor is it Mercedes. It's a Lexus, a fancy Toyota. I bought it because Toyota has a long history of reliable hybrid cars. I had a Porsche 928, two Corvettes, and a Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4. I miss the GT VR4. I'm over 60 and wanted the biggest Japanese hybrid money can buy. But after I bought it I heard that Acura will have a hybrid MDX in mid year 2017. The MDX has a superior all wheel drive system that can isolate 100% of the power to any one wheel at a time - SH-AWD. Acura claims 26 mpg combined on its hybrid. Lexus claims 30 mpg combined. But on the econ setting I am getting 31.8 to 32 mpg. I currently have 665 miles on the car. I traded in an 2012 MDX Advanced. An all gas version that delivered 16 mpg combined. Anyway, it was time to go conservative and green. I like the aggressive front grill and the f sport badge even if it does nothing for performance. 0-60 is a sad 7.9 seconds. Hardly quick but adequate to merge into highway traffic. But I am driving in a way that you would expect a senior citizen to drive, like a turtle who had instant oatmeal for breakfast. I just hope the curtain airbags will protect my frail aging frame from any potential collision and that I continue to drive this fancy car into my 80's.

Update: This is a soccer Mom's car. Would rather have a Range Rover - Sport HSE or a 4 Runner TRD Trail Pro.