Used 2005 Land Rover LR3 Consumer Reviews - 175 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Land Rover LR3

View reviews for a specific LR3 model:

Love our LR3
By SJB

2005 Land Rover LR3 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We looked at and drove every 7+ passenger SUV before buying the LR3. Our final choice was between the Lexus GX470 and the LR3. Adults can actually sit in the rear seats of the LR3 and the seats fold completely flat and you wouldn't even know that they are there. When they are upright they have a footwell. I have more room in the back seats of my LR3 than my brother does in his Yukon and I'm pretty sure I could park my LR3 inside of his truck. And that's really where the LR3 stood out for us. I never feel like I'm in a truck. The over the hood visibility is tremendous, the ride, while tight, is smooth and quiet. We often get 20 mpg on the highway... on and on and on, we love the LR3

I love the air suspension. It drops the car as low as compact SUVs yet will raise it almost half a foot higher in off-road mode. I often use it when trailering my boat, with the remote control rather than cranking up or down to get the trailer at the right height. It also provides a smooth ride.

I don't like center mounted DVD screens. I would have liked a headrest option from the factory in 2005. The fold down headrests in the 2006 model are also a great impovement. We love the car so much were thinking about a pair of them. The hitch is way over-engineered and should be higher.

Outstanding Car
By Bruce Brown

2005 Land Rover LR3 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The LR3 has the versatility I need in a family car with the smooth and solid ride of a luxury sedan. The Jaguar 4.4 liter engine is quiet and strong enough for this heavy car and the transmission is flawless. The interior is perfectly designed, with the distinctively high Land Rover seating position and elegant controls. Both the second and third row have more usable space than any other car or SUV in this class -- I can fit three car seats in the second row and two adults in the third. Zero service problems after 6K miles. You should not expect this heavy and solid car to get good mileage and, alas, it does not. But other than that understandable shortcoming, this is a terrific car.

Third row seat versatility; smooth and quiet ride; great heavy duty black rubber mats -- you'll love them; outstanding sound system.

Better mileage if that is possible with this size vehicle; dvd monitor in headrest (like Range Rover Sport).

Glad we bought it
By LRSC

2005 Land Rover LR3 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We are very happy with the LR3. It hauls our sail boat, take us off road to remote camp sites and gets us to the snow in comfort and style. The interior is very comfortable and suits our taste. We find the third row seats to be useful and comfortable for adults. It has been in the shop twice. The first involved a failed rear locker. The dealer's response was excellent. They swapped a rear end from an LR3 on their lot and got us back on the road within a couple of days. The second failure was a compressor. It was on back order but was fixed as soon as it arrived. No other problems. If it continues to run well we will be happy. We plan to keep it for a long time.

Position or the driver's seat, off road capablalities, towing, interior room, style, rain sensing wipers are awesome.

It would be nice to be able to move the seat or charge my phone without putting the key in.

LR3 does not work-stay away-it is unsafe
By hassler1

2005 Land Rover LR3 HSE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

If you purchase a $54,000 car, you would think it would run. In 10 months, it has stalled at least a dozen times, died and been towed to the dealer twice, locked out of the car with keys in hand in a snow storm, because electronic keys are faulty (twice) try to find the place to insert key - it is covered with plastic and you must rip off molding. I have owned numerous cars and have had more problems with the 2005 LR3 then all combined. When we bought it, we loved it for 1 month, then reality struck and the car is unsafe to drive by anyone and after all these headaches the dealer offered me $25,000 as a trade in on My $50,000, 10 month old LR3 Stay Away at all cost!

Navigation was nice until the winter and it froze. The raise up and down feature was great for my parents to get in, that broke and the car would raise or lower.

A manufacturerer who did not say talk to the dealer, and a dealer that does not say talk to the manufacturer. Stand behind your products and fix them.

LR3 - good, but....
By mpn1

2005 Land Rover LR3 SE 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Had several stops to dealership after 2 stalls, rear sensor fail, and 2 engine faults ( one caused by gas cap!) I like the ride, and am trying to really feel comfortable about the purchase, but the reliability issues keep me from getting too attached...

smooth ride, nice power, very roomy, great stereo

reliablity need improvement