Used 2005 Land Rover Freelander Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Land Rover Freelander

View reviews for a specific Freelander model:

My nightmare is over
By That was a nightmare

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Here is what you need to know about the Freelander. It is different from all other Land Rovers and you can't get it serviced anywhere but the dealership. Shops that advertised they worked on Land Rover would not work on my Freelander. They don't make engines for them anymore. It cost me $400 to get a window fixed that was stuck down. I traded it in for $7,000, bought a Hyundai, and literally cried with relief to be done with this vehicle. Land Rover to Hyundai and never been happier. Please do not purchase this vehicle. No power, terrible gas mileage, terrible and expensive service. Be smarter than I was.

Easy to park. That's it.

Endless. But they don't make them anymore.

WARNING Horrible quality, design,
By kitchenma27

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is the absolute worst vehicle ever. In addition to being noisy uncomfortable and riding like a farm tractor, the FreeLander has a fatal design flaw in that the Head Gasket fails requiring a new engine. Nobody wants these vehicles (80% depreciation in 3 years) resale is horrible. You would actually feel guilty selling it. I was 2 years and 51k into my 5 year 50 k warranty and Land Rover refused to warranty the engine this engine is notorious for head gasket failure, Everything breaks in this car wiper motors, all latches for the glove box, center console fuse cover, mirror motors the heat, defrosters switches gas cap. You name it it breaks. The cost to make repairs is astronomical

The tires are the only thing well made as they were not designed or manufactured by Land Rover. The CD player was the only interior component that did not break during the first 3 years of ownership

Engines that doesn't fail after just 51k, and a Company that warranties it when it does. LandRover can only sell SUVs through relentless marketing and low priced lease and finance gimmicks. Don't be fooled by slick marketing and get tricked into buying a new LandRover they are just as bad as mine.

A Rose among the Lemons?
By Karen C

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Freelander even after reading the less than stellar reviews I found on the internet. Now I wonder if people were trying to hide something - I LOVE THIS CAR! The handling is superb, the leather interior, heated mirrors and seats, and awesome stereo system (6 cd changer) make it a dream to drive. I'm getting ~22 miles to a gallon - way more than posted by others. My only beef (and it's a small one) is that I wish it had a little better pickup when pulling out. But at highway speeds it can't be topped, and I've easily avoided several dicey situations with it's fast, accurate response. Buy one!

Interior is wonderful, stereo system is fabulous. I'm still finding little features that I didn't know about, and every one so far has made my life easier.

Only wish there was a hybrid version.

Lemons
By Lynne

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Freelander, but damn reliability sucks! Brakes and rotors $500.00 every 6 months. Oil changes $120.00. Car is a gas guzzler add another $75.00 a wk. Come on Landrover, it's a Freelander not a range Rover and a regular station won't touch them. My car had anti freeze smell from vents. They say reservoir, I say heater core cover up. Sunroof replaced 2 times. Car towed in twice once ignition switch, second coils. Strange clicking from dash sounds electrical (they cant duplicate, "anyone have an idea?) they told me they are having a ton of problems with this vehicle and not to let my warranty runn out. I'm thinking of paying it off and selling it. Lately I sell my cars every two yrs for lemons.

Love the drive could use more pep. Interior cabin is cool.. People complain of the cup holders in dash. I don't mind. I have the LR3 on Loanership, quite cumbersome. I'm getting a Lexus next! Sorry TATA!

The freaking engine!!!

Still love it!!
By lyn

2005 Land Rover Freelander SE 4dr AWD SUV (2.5L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new 2005 left over. Car has left me stranded two times. Once it was ignition switch, second coil. Road side towed it in. Air is spitting water at passenger side. Now I'm smelling something that is making me sick when heat is on for long periods of time. Smells like coolant. clicking noise like the like the locks are going by themselves. Need another appointment. I love driving the car, but have to admit when the car is out of warranty I getting rid of it. Just not trust worthy and to costly to repair. The oil changes and brake jobs cost way too much!

I really love the inside, could be roomier.

Reliabilty, headroom and seats that lower so I don't have to hear my 6'2 husaband complain! Yes and what were you thinking no brake indicators, have to replace the rotors already!Very poor pickup.