2017 Kia Sedona Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2017 Kia Sedona Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sedona model:

Love The Sedonas interior
By John Palmer

2017 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

I traded in a 2016 Jeep Patriot 4x4 because it didn't have enough cargo room and power to tow. My clutch failed at 27,000 because I towed too much weight ( a ridiculous 1200 pounds ) . So I wanted a vehicle that could carry a large load of hunting and fishing gear/camping gear and could tow a 16 foot aluminum row boat and 25 hp motor. I looked at Pickup trucks , but I didn't want a box in the back collecting water and the cheapest pickup with a V6 was around $27,000 used and terrible gas mileage and an uncomfortable ride. So I started thinking about a minivan . My father has a 2016 Kia Sedona SX and I drive it all the time on trips and really liked it. Very comfortable and the gas mileage was actually about the same as my Jeep Patriot. I looked at similar large SUVS that could tow and they all had about the same gas mileage. So why not get a minivan if the gas mileage is the same and get a lot more storage ? I'm an outdoorsman and a minivan is just perfect for me. I can tow up to 3500 pounds, carry a lot of cargo and travel much more comfortably than with the Jeep. If you look at the Kia Sedona it looks like a giant SUV. It looks much better than a lot of SUV's on the road. Who cares if it's a soccer mom car, I can do everything I want now and not worry about being underpowered. This car will be my first automatic car, drove manual for 31 years . I want a comfortable car and who cares what other people think. Now about my car. I have the LX plus model and I bought it with 32,000 miles. Came with a 7 inch UVO radio, leather seats, heated seats, roof rails, push button start, oled instrument display . Bought it for $20,800 and the seller gave me 2 new front tires. Very nice car to drive. I'm 6-6 and weigh 260 pounds. Plenty of legroom in the front and in the back 2nd seat. Even when the front seat is moved back for a 6-6 person , a 6-6 inch person can still sit fairly comfortable behind the driver. You gotta spread your knees a little but it's not uncomfortable because you sit deep in these seats. The seating is so comfortable and the seats are wide. The instrument panel/dashboard/radio /glove boxes looks absolutely beautiful and especially when you have the lights on and the red lighting is on. I drive with the eco mode on all the time and the gas mileage is surprisingly good. It was a major reason why I traded in the Jeep Patriot and got the Sedona. I drove my fathers car and couldn't believe the good MPG numbers I was reading on the dash . Like 26 MPG on the highway. The car is like a tank and getting that MPG # was unbelievable. I wish the 2nd row seats folded down flat like in the Dodge and Chrysler vans, but they stow pretty far forward and isn't too bad. Safety ? take a look at the IIHS safety ratings before you buy and watch the crash test videos they have on their website. The Kia Sedona is a top safety pick and passed the Small overlap crash test with flying colors. Look how the Dodge Caravan and Chrysler Town and country performed in the same test. Look what happens to the dummies leg in that Dodge/ Chrysler crash . The parking brake went into the leg. ooch ! The 2017 Toyota Sienna had a marginal rating. I really liked the 2016 Chrysler Town and Country Touring limited. Loaded with Navigation and DVD players. I wanted to buy it so bad and then I saw the IIHS crash rating. It got a poor rating. All the minivans are foreign made now so it doesn't matter who makes it. I just love the feel of this car driving. so smooth and pleasant all around. It looks like a Giant SUV .

A wonderful minivan
By Joseph Friedman

2017 Kia Sedona LX 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

I love my 2017 Kia Sedona. I actually look forward to driving it. It's a great ride, has good acceleration and comfort and has a host of safety features that make the ride safer. I wanted a minivan that could hold all the professional gear that I need to carry with me on jobs. It has a bit less space than the Dodge Grand Caravan that I had earlier. The only thing that I miss is the fold down seats in the 2nd row that the Caravan had. The other manufacturers like Honda and Toyota also don't have fold down seats into the floor so I chose the Kia for its safety features. It has been a wonderful purchase.

Life long SUV owner makes the Minivan move!
By Shersun

2017 Kia Sedona EX 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

Retired now with young grandkids, the minivan seemed like a logical move, even after untold grief from our adult children, regarding the stigma associated in driving them. Being neither a soccer mom nor what we consider ‘old’ we were on the fence for awhile, but so happy we made the move! We’ve had an SUV since they first debuted, and we were always pleased with the versatility and style of them, from a small CRV to our last, a Lincoln MKX. The decision to try a minivan was based on our decreasing mobility and the height of the vehicle, the comfort of the seats on long trips and the versatility of the cargo space. We love the fact that each passenger has their own AC vent, usb plugs are abundant for the kids and there is plenty of leg room for my husband at 6’2” and for all the sports equipment and lawn chairs we haul most of the year! Safety was by far our most important consideration both for us and our precious cargo- KIA Sedona has an impressive 5 star rating and we feel as safe as is possible. The ride is quiet, it takes bumpy roads much better than my Lincoln did and we are averaging 22 mpg around town, and 24-25 on highway. I will say the one drawback seems to be sluggish acceleration when we are in ECO Mode, so we seldom use that setting on the highway. We have less than 1k miles on the Sedona so far, but we are very pleased with our purchase.

Looks better than what it is
By Walt Newton

2017 Kia Sedona EX 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

It was cheaper than a mini van in its class but you get what you pay for. First it has no navigation system and it is the upgraded model. The gas mileage on it is horrible, there is a lot of road noise as well. The stereo system is sub par as well.

Good as a Honda
By H. Simmons

2017 Kia Sedona SX 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 6A)

I never wanted to be a minivan mom, that being said life happend. Now I have 2 kids both under the age of 5 and an 80lbs dog and a husband with physical disabilities. Looking at our options it's was either a truck or van but having a significant other with very set requirements for a vehicle and a limited budget made our vehicle search tricky to say the least. Enter the Kia Sedona. We'd compared the Honda Odyssey and Chrysler Pacifica each had great room, decent gas mileage the only problem was to get everything we wanted put us at about 45k. We discovered the Sedona in Lowe's parking lot and looking at it neither of us were that off put buy it's looks (you know what I mean the typical minivan look). We researched it heavily and for us the only thing we didn't really like was it has a 6 speed vs an 8 speed transmission like its competition. That being said we've still been able to get 26 to 27mpg average per tank of gas. Going from a 2013 Chevy Cruze to the Sedona was amazing. I can't say enough good things about the extra amount of space for hauling around my tiny terrors. Like traditional vans the automatic sliding doors make it easy putting my 3 year old and 5 month old in and out of the vehicle. Also because of the height of the vehicle my 3 year old can easily cilmb in and out without assistance. The front seats are comfortable and supportive with the added bonus of being heated and cooled. My husband loves the cooled seat feature. The second row captains chairs are comfortable and supportive and just the right size for 2 full size car seats. The third row is spacious enough for adults if they were to be relegated back there. Usually we just leave our third row down for extra hauling capacity. For long trips the extra space is wonderful for our dog who is finally able to escape the torments of our 3 year old plus plenty of room for suitcases and coolers with room to spare. Another favorite feature is the built-in sunshades in all rear windows. Looking back I wish we'd considered/ made the move to the Kia Sedona sooner.