Used 2006 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews - 62 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Kia Rio Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Rio model:

Love my Rio!
By Gudrun Gates

2006 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Its 2018 and my 2006 Rio is still going strong! I've got about 180,000 miles on it and finally had to replace the clutch and brakes for the first time. It drives and handles great. It starts right up in the cold Minnesota winters. If you keep up on regular oil changes and maintenance it will serve you well! This is my third Kia and I've put 200,000 miles plus on all of them. Not the quiet ride of a luxury vehicle but the Rio is a great dependable car.

Gets You Where You Need To Go
By GeeVee

2006 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

My wife bought this Rio in 2010 used for about 8000 US$ with an odometer reading of 40kmiles. There are a number of parts replaced in this Kia, first was the shocks, which was replaced at 80k miles. Two ignition coils were replaced on separate occasions. Batteries were replaced 3 times during the ownership. Tires were replaced twice. Timing belt was replaced recently at 129k miles. This car being 1.6L 4 cylinder powered, is decent enough for city driving and occasional highway driving. The trim we got has manual windows and no power locks which is an inconvenience as you had to reach out to unlock the doors. Good thing the car is small for me to reach the locks. I tried buying a power door lock kit from Amazon and attempted to install it by myself. I ended up breaking the door handle cable on the driver side. Another thing that annoys me for this particular car is the airconditioning, the A/C just turns on by itself, you can't turn it off, something is wrong with the switch. That and a dozen other problems that happened to the car, which is typical of a car of this age and price range. Don't expect it to perform as well as other bigger sedans in terms of speed, performance and comfort. Overall, we are satisfied with it and plan to keep it for a few thousand miles more before buying a newer one.

Great Deal Great Car
By Roger Porter

2006 Kia Rio 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Killed one, going on another!
By adoom

2006 Kia Rio 5 SX 4dr Wagon (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I had a used 2006 Rio5 for a short bit before getting t-boned in a winter storm.
The offender was a dodge caravan making an illegal left turn. The Rio took the hit well, with little damage to me...but the car was a write-off. After much searching for a new car, I ended up buying the exact same model.
The Rio5 is great on gas, the 5sp is peppy enough to be fun.
The spare tire cover is crap, I recommend buying a piece of plywood to cover it.
The balljoints in the 3 kia rio5's that I have driven have all needed replacing.

My Favourite Features are the fuel economy, the 5spd transmission, and the back seat. Somehow my 6'2" teenagers can fit in the back no problem. The fuel economy averages well over 30 mpg, and the 5sp tranny is peppy enough to be fun to drive.

Suggested improvements would have to be the belts and the ball joints. I have driven 3 rio5's, all 3 needed new ball joints, 2 needed new power steering belts. Also the paint chips toooo easy and the car will rust instantly after the chip.

Hazard switch location
By hjshaffer673

2006 Kia Rio LX 4dr Sedan (1.6L 4cyl 4A)

Just bought this vehicle with 71,000 miles.
So far I really like it.
Just one complaint. Hopefully its been moved since.

I seriously dislike that each time I reach to change the volume of the stereo, may hand hits that emergency flasher button making me check that I didn't accidently turn them on.