Used 2003 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Kia Optima Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Optima model:

Worst car ever
By Juan Arocho

2003 Kia Optima SE V6 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car a year ago from a dealership, worst car I have ever had. The frame, control arm, and axles was rotted until it was very thin. I put over 500 dollars of engine, tranny, and tires. I would recommend it in the winter only and junk it.

If I could only have a do over...
By mamanichole

2003 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my KIA with only 3,000 miles on it in late 2004. It was great until I ran out of warranty time, once that happened the car started falling apart. The timing belt went at less than 70,000 miles causing me to replace the whole engine (in 2010). For the past 2 years the car has decided to cut down when I am driving. It spent 3 months in a KIA Dealership repair shop and they still do not know what is wrong with it. How can a KIA Repair shop not know how to fix its own cars? They now say I need to spend another $1200 just to see "If that is the real problem." I loved my car during the first 5 years, but I wish I could go back and traded it at 4 years.

Train your

Life saver
By tpp16

2003 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

My Kia was my first car after turning 16. I liked he car a lot and it was very practical as a first car. The thing I will remember most is that this car saved my life. I totaled it through a light pole and into the trees at about 70 mph. I made out without a scratch because of the incredible safety of this car. I had heard that Kia's has low crash test ratings but this car proved them wrong by saving my life.

Front grill. Looks like a shark :)

Great car - couple small issues
By lowlow

2003 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I love my car. In the 7 years I have had it there has only been a few issues. The alternator went, but that was covered. Same with the switch for my power seat. My biggest issue is with the locks! Had it fixed when the car was 5 yrs old. covered. But now the same issue. When I go to open the door (passenger) all the doors will lock. Now the door will not open at all. The dealer want $360. Guess my passengers will have to crawl through the window for now. Over all I have spent $500 in 7 years other than brakes and tires. Still have the original battery even.

Worst Nightmare
By Disappointed

2003 Kia Optima SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Everyone says foreign cars are better. I would say to them don't include kia in the mix. Brand new alternator twice in 14 months, had to replace just about everything on it so far and have only 76,000 miles on it. Sound system is horrible it skips like a cd player and the cd player hasn't worked since the first week i bought it. Alarm hasn't worked for 2 years it goes off whenever it wants to when its set. And the parts are so expensive its stupid! I would NEVER recommend a Kia to anyone stick to toyota or honda.

The interior, slide shift, dimming rear view mirror

The whole car!